Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The case in point was your lack of judgement in ensuring you didnt run out of your meds. So your lack of judgement created that condition. BTW tell us what your final negotiated bill that your insurance carrier paid. I doubt very seriously it was 4000+ I have to take a little pill everyday of my life, I always make sure I have a three month supply. As a matter of fact I negotiated to purchase a one year supply 15 years ago and just rotate the stock now just incase of some catastrophic event occurs.

Next time get to an out patient urgent care. The cost would have been a couple hundred.
Suppose the poster hadn't run out of her meds and still had to go to the emergency room for an asthmatic episode. What would your response have been then?
The cost would, no doubt, have still been exorbinant, which was the essential point.

And, I don't know where you live, but, the urgent care centers by me close up shop by 8pm. And, many are not equipped to handle a full-on asthmatic episode even when open.

Seriously, I think Alan Grayson was right. Some Republicans really do believe that people should just die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
OK; Free-market economics and the "Chicago" and or "Austrian" schools are displacing Keynesianism -- approaching the status of a proven, empirical, established fact. Yet our schools refuse to teach it.
Where can I see them in action?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Case in point. Last month I ran out of my abuterol and ended up having a mild asthma attack. I drove myself to the emergency room to get a treatment. I spent more time in the waiting room than in the back. The bill total.....$4355.

Let me repeat that $4355. Now imagine if I did not have medical coverage? Directing folks to the ERs and charity care is not the answer.
Because you failed to plan accordingly you decided to ring up a $4300 bill? "Ef em, I aint paying it" Is that how it went?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:23 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Mlasoff's post (I'm assuming the cancer in question was colon cancer, and was discovered before the age of 40) brings up an interesting
sidelight.
Health care is already de facto rationed by HMO's and the like; colonoscopies -- a very effective defense against colon cancer -- are not recommended before the age of 50 except in cases of family history,etc.

So if a vigilant consumer, who pays his/her dues still, falls through the cracks, how do we make it right, to the best of our ability?

I have abosolutely no problem with fine-tuning a system to address the rare, but expensive lapses like the one cited; but the three-ring circus proposed by Obama and the Liberals is nothing more than another redistibutuion scheme, and I'll be glad to tell them to use it as a proctoscope.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-29-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Where can I see them in action?
It's a relatively small point, but here's a link to the text series in question.

McConnell Brue 16th Edition Online Learning Centers

A substsantial improvement over the drivel I was spoon-fed as an undergrad.

Milton freidman's Free to Choose, Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat, and the work of the Foundation for Economic Education are also examples.

The Lefties don't approve, but hard fact has a distressing (to them) way of making itself felt.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
But some you're and you appear to be fine with it. Would you have been fine with public option, or simply tax based like Medicare? Or, is Medicare still a product that you're forced into?
My thoughts on those have nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Quote:
Well, we all know that people can choose to remain healthy forever, and that there is such thing as "available to all" health care. The good thing is, neither costs the country anything and spells out the best possible scenario to govern. Sorta satisfies that pesky "necessary and proper" clause.

That requires that you not make a distinction between health care and health insurance.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM

994 posts, read 725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All I have to say is.... WOW!!!!

This coming from a Supreme Court Justice.
Why is it a Justice saying this? Shouldn't a quote like that have come from the government attorneys?

It sounds like someone who is supposed to be an impartial judge is sitting there making one side's argument against the other side. Isn't her role to listen and question?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Why is it a Justice saying this? Shouldn't a quote like that have come from the government attorneys?

It sounds like someone who is supposed to be an impartial judge is sitting there making one side's argument against the other side. Isn't her role to listen and question?
A supreme court justice is nothing more than a government attorney for life.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25
No surprise as Ginsberg is no fan of the US Constitution to begin with...........

“I would not look to the U.S. Constitution, if I were drafting a Constitution in the year 2012. I might look at the Constitution of South Africa,” says Ginsburg, whom President Clinton nominated to the court in 1993. “That was a deliberate attempt to have a fundamental instrument of government that embraced basic human rights, had an independent judiciary. … It really is, I think, a great piece of work that was done. Much more recent than the U.S. Constitution.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is very telling on how we got away from the freest nation in the world, to be just like the rest.
You look at the Constitution as if came down from Mt. Sinai. It didn't and was/is not perfect. The original Constitution condoned slavery and discouraged popular elections. It also leaves many areas contradictory and vague. If I were writing a constitution today, I would do it differently too.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It's not disingenuous to expose the problems with your line of thinking. You want to blame people for their own ills-- But in the case of me as a 36 year old getting colon cancer, it doesn't quite work.

So since you're so genuine, tell me what the system should do about a 36 year old with cancer who doesn't have $138,000 laying around to take "personal responsibility."

Had that for 3 years, that was mis diagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome.

When it finally stopped me up, the ER bill was more than the doctor or hospital bills combined. I'm still making $75 a month payments 8 years later.

My doctor was $2500, the Hospital $1800 for the rooms used. The anesthesiologist was $650
The ER visit was $5500 and I was there only an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies