Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM

994 posts, read 725,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Case in point. Last month I ran out of my abuterol and ended up having a mild asthma attack. I drove myself to the emergency room to get a treatment. I spent more time in the waiting room than in the back. The bill total.....$4355.

Let me repeat that $4355. Now imagine if I did not have medical coverage? Directing folks to the ERs and charity care is not the answer.
And your post is a case in point for why it cost $4,355 in the first place. See, you are posting about who pays that high bill, not complaining about how high it is. Medical costs are that high because once we had the insurance we no longer cared how much the bills were because we weren't paying them. And that's the crux of the problem. Not universal coverage.

Democrats simply aren't using logic on this. Instead of asking why the costs are so high, they simply accept the high costs and say let's spread the cost over more people.

The problem is that spreading the cost around is how the cost got so high to begin with. The less people there are who care what the price of something is, the higher that price will rise. After all, did you file a complaint about that $4355 bill? No, you didn't did you? Now spread that attitude across all of society and see what happens in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sounds to me like you're still trying to palm the responsiblity off on anyone but yourself -- Please grow up!

Why try growing up yourself. My point is the COST of health care today is outrages and the fact that folks WITHOUT insurance are told to go to the emergency by Conservatives. WHY when it cost thousands of dollars for a 10 minute visit. Just like the ignorant self-rightous folks to completely miss their complaint of health care cost and jump right into the juvenile rants. Typical.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Suppose the poster hadn't run out of her meds and still had to go to the emergency room for an asthmatic episode. What would your response have been then?
The cost would, no doubt, have still been exorbinant, which was the essential point.

And, I don't know where you live, but, the urgent care centers by me close up shop by 8pm. And, many are not equipped to handle a full-on asthmatic episode even when open.

Seriously, I think Alan Grayson was right. Some Republicans really do believe that people should just die.

T....this is typical of the Right....instead of discussing like adults they choose to go on their typical rant. Never mind the fact that it is the RIGHT's arguement that those without insurance should just go to the emergency room. Well I have insurance and rather I ran out of my medication or it just didnt work and I still needed a treatment which has happend the cost would have still been the same. But hey, their faux outrage is a way from them to back away from their failed theory.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Wrong again. I am responsible for paying my portion. When did Health care become free to everyone? I must have missed that.
1986. You can thank a republican for it.
Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Because you failed to plan accordingly you decided to ring up a $4300 bill? "Ef em, I aint paying it" Is that how it went?

As usual Ignorance clouds reading comprehension. Where did I indicate that I didn't have insurance or I wasn't paying it? I called my insurance company to ask them if they questioned the charges. $4 Grand for a steroid treatment is ridiculous, period.

Do you have asthma? Albuterol does not alway prevent an attack as such an emergency room visit is still warranted. The cost would STILL BEEN THE SAME for the steroid treatment.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM

My son was born premature. I think my medical bills for his 6 week stay in neonatal ICU was ~ 106 thousand dollars.
Obviously, he should've taken responsibility and waited 2 1/2 more months. Ah well,.... KIDS! Whacha gonna do, eh?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
And your post is a case in point for why it cost $4,355 in the first place. See, you are posting about who pays that high bill, not complaining about how high it is. Medical costs are that high because once we had the insurance we no longer cared how much the bills were because we weren't paying them. And that's the crux of the problem. Not universal coverage.

Democrats simply aren't using logic on this. Instead of asking why the costs are so high, they simply accept the high costs and say let's spread the cost over more people.

The problem is that spreading the cost around is how the cost got so high to begin with. The less people there are who care what the price of something is, the higher that price will rise. After all, did you file a complaint about that $4355 bill? No, you didn't did you? Now spread that attitude across all of society and see what happens in a few years.

WTF...What is wrong with reading comprehension? I called my insurance company to find out WHY they paid the bill without questioning it. $4K for a steroid treatment is beyond robbery.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
As usual Ignorance clouds reading comprehension. Where did I indicate that I didn't have insurance or I wasn't paying it? I called my insurance company to ask them if they questioned the charges. $4 Grand for a steroid treatment is ridiculous, period.

Do you have asthma? Albuterol does not alway prevent an attack as such an emergency room visit is still warranted. The cost would STILL BEEN THE SAME for the steroid treatment.
Friend, I had the worst Asthma and one day I was given Advair to try and it shut the asthma down almost completely. Have your doctor see if it is something you can sample. It is a life changer and I wish you good luck.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Friend, I had the worst Asthma and one day I was given Advair to try and it shut the asthma down almost completely. Have your doctor see if it is something you can sample. It is a life changer and I wish you good luck.

I'm using Dulera and Singular along with Albuterol. This time of the year is bad. Thanks RCCB.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 PM

My emergency room kidney stone treatment cost ~4 grand sometime around 2001. I was jobless at the time, couldn't pay. Someone paid for it. Wasn't me. What was that term they told me .. gotta remember it...ah.. got it. They told me the indigent fund would cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies