Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Just like there were a lot of people here who weren't too rattled by Trayvon Martin being suspended numerous times or having weed in his backpack.
I smoked weed in my high school days. I was not suspended, but knew really good kids that screwed up now and again that were. One is a lawyer in El Paso now and we still keep in touch. I was in senior orchestra and had to show up for music classes 8:00 in the morning besides the regular daily orchestra classes as it was considered a major. There was teacher strike one September and school started over a month late. To make up for time lost, we had to repeat our first period class again at the end of the day. That meant that I had orchestra class sometimes 3 times a day. On Tuesdays, due to senior orchestra, I had it 4 times in that one day. It was too much so I started skipping a few classes now and again. Needless to say, I got into trouble for it...not a suspension, but it was hairy.

If I was a murder victim, does this high school history have any bearing on the guilt or innocence of the killer?

Not every kid is Little Lord Fauntleroy or Miss Goody Two Shoes.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 03-31-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
All I meant is that a 17-year-old can look suspicious or threatening, that age is irrelevant. Suspicious/threat aside...

I don't care much what the former gov. thinks. I'd bet if asked what the law actually says, Jeb would stare into space, then ask for the next question. I think prosecutors opposed the law because they could foresee the difficulty in charging. If you're right that following someone with a gun is where gz lost his self-defense or stand your ground defense, I'll be wrong.

This makes no sense. Jeb Bush is the governor who signed "Stand Your Ground" into law. Do you live in Florida?

FYI, from March 23rd

[URL="http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/arlington/headlines/20120323-in-arlington-jeb-bush-says-stand-your-ground-invalid-in-trayvon-martin-case.ece"]Jeb Bush says ‘stand your ground’ invalid in Trayvon Martin case[/URL]

Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This makes no sense. Jeb Bush is the governor who signed "Stand Your Ground" into law.
Geez, do you think a gov reads every bill sent to him ? He might Think he knows what the law was Supposed to do in a general way, but not what the words mean in a court.

"The law as written in Florida ... does not require a person to retreat to prevent a possible altercation; and it does not address the question of whether it is OK to chase down someone who has been perceived as a threat. In fact, last Wednesday, a Florida judge threw out the second-degree murder case against a man who chased a burglar more than a block and stabbed him to death. Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Beth Bloom cited "stand your ground."

Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
All I meant is that a 17-year-old can look suspicious or threatening, that age is irrelevant. Suspicious/threat aside...

I don't care much what the former gov. thinks. I'd bet if asked what the law actually says, Jeb would stare into space, then ask for the next question. I think prosecutors opposed the law because they could foresee the difficulty in charging. If you're right that following someone with a gun is where gz lost his self-defense or stand your ground defense, I'll be wrong.
The authors of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" self-defense law say George Zimmerman should probably be arrested...

It is the fact that Zimmerman ignored the 911 operator's advice not to follow Martin that former Sen. Peaden says disqualifies him from claiming self-defense under the law.

"The guy lost his defense right then," Peaden told the Miami Herald. "When he said 'I'm following him,' he lost his defense."

Rep. Dennis Baxley, Peaden's co-sponsor in the Florida House, agrees with his former colleague, telling the newspaper that the law does not license neighborhood watch or others who feel "like they have the authority to pursue and confront people. That is aggravating an incident right there."

Author of "stand your ground" law: George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for killing Trayvon Martin - Crimesider - CBS News

Last edited by sickofnyc; 03-31-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I can name three cases off the top of my head where a suspect was known about but not charged for a long time, in one case they never were charged -- The Drew and Scott Peterson cases as well as the Susan Powell case. You fail to note the habeas corpus issue that limits how long a person can be held without charges filed. It appears that this case is not as cut and dried as you seem to believe.
I do agree that investigations take time, but this one was already decided. The State Attorney said there was not enough evidence. Even when the lead investigator, Chris Serino, filed an affidavit saying requested manslaughter charges because he was unconvinced by Martin's statements, he was overruled. That is why the family asked for help. Now that the case has been turned over to federal investigators, I hope everything moves along swiftly.

I don't usually quote the very conservative LA Times, but maybe this will explain why people were so upset and felt there was a cover-up.

"The case now has a new state attorney, and they didn’t file charges the first day they got it, either,” the Seminole prosecutor who asked to remain anonymous said.

The development is in stark contrast to the statements repeatedly made by Bill Lee, the Sanford police chief who has since stepped aside and was lambasted for his handling of the case. Lee publicly insisted that there was no probable cause to arrest Zimmerman, leading many critics to say he came across more like a defense attorney for the security buff."

[url=http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sfl-prosecutor-sanford-police-sought-to-charge-zimmerman-20120327,0,5991068.story]Prosecutor: Sanford police sought to charge Zimmerman - latimes.com[/url]

Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The kid had no history of burglary nor assault.

Even being treated on scene, you would at least see a bandage, and the cops would at least be wearing gloves. His head would at least be swollen, as would his nose from being broken as he claims. He would be walking unsteadily.

It just does not add up.
And why is there no blood on his shirt or jacket?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
And why is there no blood on his shirt or jacket?
Some say the tape is "grainy" but I think it's very clear.

[youtube]N5OiLQjUcOU[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5OiLQjUcOU]George Zimmerman on Police Surveillance video - YouTube[/url]

His shirt isn't even torn or wrinkled. Did the police take his clothes and he changed? An eyewitness said he stood up and was walking around after shooting Martin. How can you stand up after your head has been banged on concrete? He claims he began to lose consciousness but was able to shoot a man in the chest and kill him with one bullet? If Martin was on top of him and he shot him in the chest, why would Martin be facing down when the cops found him lying in the grass?

Now the EMS report indicates the injuries weren't very serious. What more do people need? The funeral director said Martin didn't even have bruised knuckles for pity's sake!

Richard Kurtz said his examination of the slain Florida teen’s corpse revealed no cuts, scratches or bruises, only a gunshot wound to the chest.

Kurtz’s account appears to contradict George Zimmerman’s claims that he shot Trayvon during a life-and-death struggle.

"We could see no physical signs like there had been a scuffle or there had been a fight," Kurtz told CBS News.

[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ems-tapes-show-george-zimmerman-sustain-fatal-injuries-encounter-trayvon-martin-article-1.1053821]EMS tapes show George Zimmerman did not sustain fatal injuries in encounter with Trayvon Martin - NY Daily News[/url]

Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM

I wonder if someone will claim that the EMT is lying. Please read what I just posted.

He said there were no physical signs that there was even a scuffle! They canceled the 2nd ambulance that was called to take Zimmerman to the hospital because he was not injured.

Trayvon "looked perfectly normal to me when he came in and the story just does not make sense that he was in this type of scuffle or fight in anything that we could see," Kurtz added.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM

409 posts, read 254,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Some say the tape is "grainy" but I think it's very clear.

George Zimmerman on Police Surveillance video - YouTube

His shirt isn't even torn or wrinkled. Did the police take his clothes and he changed? An eyewitness said he stood up and was walking around after shooting Martin. How can you stand up after your head has been banged on concrete? He claims he began to lose consciousness but was able to shoot a man in the chest and kill him with one bullet? If Martin was on top of him and he shot him in the chest, why would Martin be facing down when the cops found him lying in the grass?

Now the EMS report indicates the injuries weren't very serious. What more do people need? The funeral director said Martin didn't even have bruised knuckles for pity's sake!

Richard Kurtz said his examination of the slain Florida teen’s corpse revealed no cuts, scratches or bruises, only a gunshot wound to the chest.

Kurtz’s account appears to contradict George Zimmerman’s claims that he shot Trayvon during a life-and-death struggle.

"We could see no physical signs like there had been a scuffle or there had been a fight," Kurtz told CBS News.

EMS tapes show George Zimmerman did not sustain fatal injuries in encounter with Trayvon Martin - NY Daily News

You can't trust everything that is reported. How does bruising occur when you are dead? Bruises only show up when the body is healing and alive.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The authors of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" self-defense law say George Zimmerman should probably be arrested...

It is the fact that Zimmerman ignored the 911 operator's advice not to follow Martin that former Sen. Peaden says disqualifies him from claiming self-defense under the law.

"The guy lost his defense right then," Peaden told the Miami Herald. "When he said 'I'm following him,' he lost his defense."

Rep. Dennis Baxley, Peaden's co-sponsor in the Florida House, agrees with his former colleague, telling the newspaper that the law does not license neighborhood watch or others who feel "like they have the authority to pursue and confront people. That is aggravating an incident right there."

Author of "stand your ground" law: George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for killing Trayvon Martin - Crimesider - CBS News
I put them in the same category as Jeb Bush.

Find a court case or a bunch of prosecutors who say gz lost syg when he left the car. I doubt you can.

Whether gz was being beaten to justify deadly force is another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies