Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times

Advertisements

Rule of law is Old Testament legalistic or a whole bunch of thou shalt nots, if you will. OT is ancient Judaic teachings and writings, which is separated from Christ's time by hundreds, thousands of years. Grace - forgiveness of our Sins through Christ's sacrifice, and belief in Christ, is New Testament. Paul speaks quite clearly about this, as does the Gospels, in relating Christ's teachings and life here on earth. It is more accurate to say that some Christians favor Old Testament legalism and some tilt, rightfully so to the Gospel of Grace and the forgiveness of sins.

I think they are less different religions, then different readings and understanding of the Christian faith. For my money, if you profess Christianity, then the New Testament is where the crux of one's faith rests, but not without a study of and understanding of the Old Testament.

Like the old saying, "You can't know where you are headed, if you don't know where you have been."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've talked about this several times over the years on this board, but some theologians actually believe that Christians are divided into two camps that share almost nothing in common except for the name "Christian." They're like completely different religions. One side is "rule of love" based--God is loving, and we're focused on teaching and living kindness and compassion, and growing closer to God by following Christ's teachings. You study the bible to search for meaning and understanding, but it's not meant to be taken literally. It's the living word of God, so it has to be understood with the context of the times it was written, and the time we live in now (for instance, we understand more about science now). Because it's divine, we believe it is presumptuous and arrogant to believe that you can completely and perfectly understand scripture--it unfolds as we understand more.

The other side is "rule of law." They see the bible as a rule book that you follow literally word for word (despite the fact that scriptural interpretations are all over the place) and god is viewed as oriented toward strict order and reward punishment. Current knowledge and discovery isn't part of the formula, SO in their view the world is 6000 years old and cavemen rode dinosaurs.

Like I said--completely different faiths sharing the same name...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
They are all hypocrites unless they follow all aspects of the Bible such as killing people for working during the Sabbath. It's not about picking and choosing which teachings of the Bible to follow correct?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You attempt to distort the meaning of "render unto Caesar". We are instructed to be good citizens and obey the law of the land, to pay taxes and be examples. We are also instructed to have no obedience to any law that contradict God's Laws and commandments.
Where is that?

Quote:
Further Same sex Marriage is not a sin and never has been. God can not create sin because that is contrary to the nature of God.
Then, there is something in creation which God did not create or control? What kind of God is He? A powerless one, one who lets things get away from Him, who makes mistakes? If that's the case, He's not the God He claims to be, is He?

Quote:
God ordained the first Marriage when he took the Rib from Adam and created his help mate/wife Eve.
Eve was created to be Adam's helpmeet. But, whether or not they were "married" is another matter. There was no formal ceremony of any kind.

Quote:
Marriage to a Christian is more than a simple contract, it is a covenant relationship between a man, a woman and God. Created and Blessed by God as he created a Husband and Wife to be.
It is a covenant relationship in the spiritual sense, but not so in the legal sense. Never forget that there are two issues at play here: Moral and legal.

Quote:
By God's definition it is impossible for a homosexual to be married, so we my call it a "marriage" in a legal manner but it can never be a true marriage.
That's so in God's eyes, but that's between them and God, not between them and us. We have no Biblical authority to sit in judgement of those outside the faith.

Quote:
I have no problems with civil unions because in reality that is what a gay marriage really is.
I don't even know the difference. Do you?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Where is that?

Then, there is something in creation which God did not create or control? What kind of God is He? A powerless one, one who lets things get away from Him, who makes mistakes? If that's the case, He's not the God He claims to be, is He?

Eve was created to be Adam's helpmeet. But, whether or not they were "married" is another matter. There was no formal ceremony of any kind.

It is a covenant relationship in the spiritual sense, but not so in the legal sense. Never forget that there are two issues at play here: Moral and legal.

That's so in God's eyes, but that's between them and God, not between them and us. We have no Biblical authority to sit in judgement of those outside the faith.

I don't even know the difference. Do you?
Again you attempt to present an argument that has no basis, either you are not a Christian or you have not received any training in hermenutics.

You choose to ignore man's sin nature or the burden of free will, so be it.

My previous post stands on Biblical precepts, yours do not.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Again you attempt to present an argument that has no basis, either you are not a Christian or you have not received any training in hermenutics.

You choose to ignore man's sin nature or the burden of free will, so be it.

My previous post stands on Biblical precepts, yours do not.

In other words, you can't defend your position?

Question: In your studies of hermeneutics, upon who or what do you rely to interpret Scripture?

For your edification, I give you this, if you're interested. It states the case better than I can:

Should Christians Submit to Government Authority?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
LOL!

So much for 1700 years of drawings/paintings/statues etc depicting Jesus with long hair. (And often with light brown hair and with blue eyes - which is also highly unlikely for someone born in that area)

No one knows what Jesus (if he even existed as a real person) supposedly looked like.
Correct - so you contradict your whole "Jesus had long hair" post - if we don't know what he looked like(and you admit this) then why post a picture of Him with long hair)?

Your credibility just dropped another notch from the low level it already occupied.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Really? Then why do you continue to bear false witness against gay people?

Repent!!!! Go and sin no more!
You ignore the fact that people who choose to be gay are sinners. You are correct that people need to beware of pride and "remove the block from their own eye so that they can see clearly to remove the speck from their brothers eye" - but that does not mean that we should avoid calling sin what it is and gently correct our brothers and sisters so that they may walk a straight path - to not do so would be to not act in love. I will not allow something that is clearly a sin to be called good. And before you call me a hypocrite - I do acknowledge my own failings - but I do not actively pursue them and try to justify them - I try to do as Paul says and "beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize". It is a struggle - but it is much more rewarding(both now and in the future) then continuing to live in unrepentant sin.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How exactly does one cherry pick by quoting from the Bible. Unless... the Bible is dramatically inconsistent?
Cherry-picking verses from the Bible would be defined as reading verses and citing them out of context - and that doesn't just mean the context of the passage the verse is in - but in the context of the entire Bible - which is an integrated message - from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22 - every word points to Jesus Christ as Lord and savior.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do you continue to bear false witness against gay people?

Repent!!!! Go and sin no more!
What false witness? If you commit homosexual acts, you have sinned.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This guy is doing everything that MLK JR would have been proud of.
Do you honestly believe that Martin Luther King, a Baptist minister, would approve of same sex marriage? Not the MLK I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies