Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times

Advertisements

Buying a soldier a lunch? Hmmm well we buy them 3 squares a day as it is. I tend to thank them for their service, if they need a ride and its on my way they are welcome to ride along. Not because they are a soldier but because it is the descent thing to do.
I acknowledge their sacrifice and show them respect. I think expecting others to pony up for a lunch every time they see a soldier on leave is asking a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Are you serious?

I will tell you what - why don't you run for president - get elected - and then carry out your apparent dream of America having no organized armed forces to defend the Republic. Disband all military units - melt every weapon into recycled metal - scuttle all our naval ships, tear down all aircraft, and destroy all the nuclear weapons. Entirely dismantle the military - this is what you want is it not? After all - you don't want anyone to enlist - or at least you criticize them if they do - so it is logical to reason that you want the military done away with.

Watch what happens. You will be the last President of the United States because we will be invaded and taken over by another nation so fast you won't know how it happened.

I understand your unhappiness with certain wars that the nation is involved in and has been in the past. That is fine - your ire should be towards the politicians who brought our country into those conflicts. The soldiers are defending our freedom and security everyday - disrespecting them is wrong and uncalled for.
Yes I'm serious. Defending our home turf isn't quite the same as maintaining an empire, but maybe you are so patriotic you can't see the difference?
FWIW we have enough nuclear capability to destroy the planet many times over so your scenario is quite moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
And when they stop....who will be FORCED to go?
No one should be forced to fight the politicians battles and if no one enlisted,they would be forced to choose them more carefully.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yep - 9/11 has been forgotten.

Some people truly disgust me - you are one. How can you blatantly disrespect the men and women who have died so your spoiled butt can sit on a chair and type on a keyboard freely and say whatever drivel you wish? You live in the greatest nation on the planet, enjoy the benefits and freedoms that come with being an American citizen - then spit on the bodies and graves of those who shed their blood so you could have that privelege. All you military haters make me sick. Go to North Korea if you feel like that - you sure don't deserve to be called an American.
LOL. I do mourn those innocent citizens that perished on 9-11. Again, which freedoms do we specifically have here in this country that other countries don't offer? The freedoms that we did enjoy have been steadily diminished after 9-11. Obama has done NOTHING too reverse Bush's war on terrah. We still live with a false sense of security and less rights than before. Your blind allegiance and bigotry towards others makes me sick.

If you have an issue with the conflicts the United States is involved in - take it up with the political leaders. They are elected by and represent the people. If you don't like what they do - then vote them out. A lot of Democrats voted for military intervention in Iraq. Did you vote them out? If not then you are a hypocrite.

The Dems are as much to blame as anyone else, for not standing up to Bush's bullcrap. I think that common sense goes out the window when you're worried about looking weak on defense to the voters. We also don't know what types of backdoor deals that these politicians (reps and dems) have with the military complex lobbyists. They have to keep any eye towards getting re-elected, don't they? Many people did indeed demonstrate against the invasions in Iraq and Afghan.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's not the point

The point is that this young man is taking 4 years+ out of his life to serve his nation, he could die or come home without an arm or a leg ... and not many people acknowledge their sacrifices.
No. The point is, he CHOSE his career path, and should have known the ramifications of that choice.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes I'm serious. Defending our home turf isn't quite the same as maintaining an empire, but maybe you are so patriotic you can't see the difference?
What empire?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL. I do mourn those innocent citizens that perished on 9-11. Again, which freedoms do we specifically have here in this country that other countries don't offer? The freedoms that we did enjoy have been steadily diminished after 9-11. Obama has done NOTHING too reverse Bush's war on terrah. We still live with a false sense of security and less rights than before. Your blind allegiance and bigotry towards others makes me sick.

If you have an issue with the conflicts the United States is involved in - take it up with the political leaders. They are elected by and represent the people. If you don't like what they do - then vote them out. A lot of Democrats voted for military intervention in Iraq. Did you vote them out? If not then you are a hypocrite.

The Dems are as much to blame as anyone else, for not standing up to Bush's bullcrap. I think that common sense goes out the window when you're worried about looking weak on defense to the voters. We also don't know what types of backdoor deals that these politicians (reps and dems) have with the military complex lobbyists. They have to keep any eye towards getting re-elected, don't they? Many people did indeed demonstrate against the invasions in Iraq and Afghan.
The post above can be summed up in three words - "Blame It On Bush"

Truly pathetic.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
the lunch that a soldier purchased at Baltimore airport last week. There were about 15-20 people inline ahead of me at Subway at BWI. When I got online, this young soldier was number four inline. Not one person acknowledged him, thanked him, or even offered to buy him lunch. As he was reaching into his pocket to pay I walked over to the register and said "Thanks man, this ones on me". These kids are leaving home for months at a time, many may not even come home. Take care of those that take care of us. Please acknowledge the men and women who serve America. If you can't afford to treat them to a lunch, a simple smile or thank you will make them feel good.
Thanks Smitty.. you are an American .

Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I served in the 80's and never saw any disrespect, I don't know what you are talking about.

Nice sentiment, but we didn't go into Iraq to "fight terrorists", as Saddam Hussein posed no threat, didn't tolerate radical fundamentalism, and while a despicable man, we had no right to depose him and tear his country to pieces. Bush and Cheney were despicable and killed more people than Hussein did, but we would not have welcomed a foreign country removing them.

The only reason we invaded was because they have the worlds 2nd largest oil reserves. Those who ordered the invasion are nothing better than war criminals, yet remain free and even have the adulation of their ideologically trained supporters.

Many Americans are just too smart to believe any more patriotic nonsense coming from the U.S. govt., but we still respect our military. The hero worship orchestrated by the govt. on behalf of the military is meant to make dissent and outrage over invading and occupying innocent nations into an attack on those who risk their lives in those countries for all the wrong reasons. It is meant to stifle dissent.
Yeah right.. so brainwashed. I don't see any cheap gas? We didn't take over any oil fields.

Hussein gassed his own people and mass graves were found with tens of thousands of bodies.. keep telling yourself Hussein was a nice guy and beat up America and with it our soldiers.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In wars that were worth fighting for. The last war that we had like that was WW2. Sorry.
Exactly. All the wars since have been for naught. Now we are just the world's police. There's no glory nor honor in that.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No. The point is, he CHOSE his career path, and should have known the ramifications of that choice.
Many young men in America can't find a job.. hello. So they love their country and decide to defend and protect her.. you got a problem with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies