Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..Texas "liberals" are not the type of liberals you think they are.
Uhh...I live here. I know quite a few Texas liberals. I was referring to liberals nationally who want TX to go blue.

That being said, white Texas liberals aren't that different from white liberals most other places (not that there are that many white liberals in TX). A very good portion - if not the majority - of our Democratic voters are minorities who aren't really that liberal per se.

I know someone will likely call me racist for this post. I'm not trying to be. I'm just stating reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, only property is a right. Everything else, the government can control.
Lol, you want that right controlled by the government too!!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well fb, seeing that Texas is a border state, what are the stats if you remove the illegals (estimated at 2 million) ?
The illegals don't get insurance today and they won't get it under Obamacare tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Uhh...I live here. I know quite a few Texas liberals. I was referring to liberals nationally who want TX to go blue.

That being said, white Texas liberals aren't that different from white liberals most other places (not that there are that many white liberals in TX). A very good portion - if not the majority - of our Democratic voters are minorities who aren't really that liberal per se.

I know someone will likely call me racist for this post. I'm not trying to be. I'm just stating reality.
I was thinking more along the lines of SF liberals. Texas is not going to go CA liberal anytime soon.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Lol, you want that right controlled by the government too!!
I can't speak for Einstein, but I would like the Right to be controlled by common sense, rather than hot button talking points.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can't speak for Einstein, but I would like the Right to be controlled by common sense, rather than hot button talking points.
What does "common sense" consist of under the umbrella of property rights?

Either you let people own land...or you don't...

Sure, I wish people would do what is in the best interest for everybody with said property. But I also wish the Kardashians, Love & Hip Hop and other atrocious programming would go off the airwaves, we would shut down the Fed and McDonalds would cook their fries in beef tallow again..

But none of those are happening, with the exception of the first eventually, but not soon enough.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
What if it were like the police, fire department, roads, education (in the past), military? What if we thought that we needed a healthy population? What if we couldn't bear the thought of denying coverage from our neighbors? What if our society were more focused on improving our standard of living rather than lining the pockets of the rich?

To me it makes sense. I left America for my work. Not on ideology. Now, I pay to make sure that my neighbors are covered. Personally, I feel better knowing that affordable health care is available and is helping the kindly lady downstairs. In the states, she would not be covered or would pay A LOT of money. To me it seems quite disturbing to profit off the sick or injured.

I don't understand why people feel its okay to make a profit off this population of people. Should we let them die?
"What if we couldn't bear the thought of denying coverage from our neighbors? "

Both parties have agreed that preexisting conditions should be covered, it's one of the few things in ObamaCare they both agreed on.

What if our society were more focused on improving our standard of living rather than lining the pockets of the rich?

Talking points like these sound great, but we already tax the rich at a much higher rate, and the bottom 45% of people filing their taxes each year pay no income taxes at all, in fact, many of them get back a check for more money then they paid in income taxes.

In the US we have Medicaid for the poor, and even the not so poor, we have Medicare for the elderly, and we even have SCHIP insurance for families who have a family income of up to $70,0000.

Yes, it would be wise to find ways to lower health care costs in this country, but sadly ObamaCare does nothing to lower costs, it just forces all Americans to buy expensive, bloated health insurance plans from insurance companies.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of SF liberals. Texas is not going to go CA liberal anytime soon.
We're not going to go blue at all any time soon. That being said, TX "liberals" are no longer "conservative Democrats." They're not SF liberals for most part but they're definitely no less liberal than - say - most midwestern liberals or liberals in the intermountain west.

Then again, I have two SF liberal friends who have recently fled to TX (literally from SF itself). And two more who are contemplating fleeing to TX soon. And they are hardcore liberals...not only are they vegetarian, but think everyone else should be, one attended an Occupy protest at least once, etc.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Well fb, seeing that Texas is a border state, what are the stats if you remove the illegals (estimated at 2 million) ?
The illegals don't get insurance today and they won't get it under Obamacare tomorrow.
Err, some data for you.

http://www.mchd-tx.org/documents/uninsuredFastFacts.pdf

Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Very simply... TX (unlike our Fed Govt and California) has a requirement in our state constitution where we MUST balance our budget and money is hard to come by for everyone. Why should the Feds who can't control their spending dictate how we must go in debt to cover services we cannot afford ?

As long as Obama & the Feds keep a pourous border, we cannot afford to provide the poor coming into the state with all the benefits of our citizens. The Federal Govt and states like Califonia, New York, ect can't control their own programs. They should not attempt to control our programs.

Besides we provide some of the best health care in the nation for everyone, legal and illegal in this state. There is a difference in health care and health insurance.

Time for a new President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies