Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are many examples where armed citizens kill, wound, run off an armed intruder.

There will be a full investigation.
Of course there are and kudos to them.

How many examples of armed civilians shooting an armed suspect during a public attack? Especially one like this or the one that occurred in Aurora where dozens of innocent bystanders/victims are close by/running around? I think I may have heard of an incident where a security guard stopped an armed student during a school shooting, but I'm not sure, and plus, that was a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Of course there are and kudos to them.

How many examples of armed civilians shooting an armed suspect during a public attack? Especially one like this or the one that occurred in Aurora where dozens of innocent bystanders/victims are close by/running around? I think I may have heard of an incident where a security guard stopped an armed student during a school shooting, but I'm not sure, and plus, that was a child.
Even if half of them happened that way it would be incredibly rare.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
There are many examples where armed citizens kill, wound, run off an armed intruder.
Yes there are, but as I pointed out an armed intruder is a thief who uses a weapon to intimidate, not someone intent upon engaging in a fire fight at all costs. I recall a few years ago a home video security system documented a case where very a group of very heavily armed intruders were sent running from a armed home owner. Mass shooters even when confronted by the police care little about escape or giving up.

[question]There will be a full investigation.[/quote]

Considering the history of NYPD shootings, I'm not holding my breath for any deep analysis.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Increase their 10% accuracy. Shoot 10 to hit 1 you're after is an F in school.
Empire State Building shooting: Victims hit by police gunfire, NYPD says - latimes.com
"He reiterated that the officers appeared to have no choice but to shoot Johnson, whose body had 10 bullets wounds in the chest, arms and legs."

So to be clear you believe these two policemen fired off 100 rounds in 3 seconds from their handguns?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Empire State Building shooting victims say NYPD fired 'randomly' into street | World news | guardian.co.uk

All this craziness yesterday over the Empire State shootings and it appears it was the NYPD doing all the shooting. Mayor Bloomberg should stop worrying about gun control across the country and worry about his own back yard.

Unfortunately the Dems are probably celebrating as this is a major black eye for police commissioner Ray Kelly who many were trying to persuade to run for the GOP mayoral seat.

Why would your first thought be to make this a political issue. That's just sick

Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Empire State Building shooting: Victims hit by police gunfire, NYPD says - latimes.com
"He reiterated that the officers appeared to have no choice but to shoot Johnson, whose body had 10 bullets wounds in the chest, arms and legs."

So to be clear you believe these two policemen fired off 100 rounds in 3 seconds from their handguns?
They meant to hit 1, they hit 10. That translates to a 10% success rate at wounding the target.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Why would your first thought be to make this a political issue. That's just sick
Is this your first time on the Politics and Other Controversies forum?

First rule of the P&OC forum: anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, can be made into a political issue.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
They meant to hit 1, they hit 10. That translates to a 10% success rate at wounding the target.
You distinctly said accuracy, they hit him 10 times so claiming 10% accuracy from two pistols is utterly retarded given most of the other injuries were from ricochet.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
First rule of the P&OC forum: anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, can be made into a political issue.
Yup!

Mindless Partisan Retard: sounds like a (insert political party here)

I don't know what happens to people to make them see everything in the world as an angle to how it can be blamed on the opposite political team but they are truly pathetic.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:
As I note above. Lester Gillis was shot 17 times and still escaped. You are in no position to judge here from behind your keyboard.

One rare incident... Yes there are people that have the ability to sustain quite a bit of fire, however, they're rather rare. Furthermore, it's pretty obvious whether somebody is doing down for the count versus returning fire, so I am in a position to judge here from behind my keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies