Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What kind of logic does it take for someone to actually believe, that for the fisrt time in history, humans are going to stop having sex unless they want a child?
Religious freak logic??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
Contraceptives are not necessary if one abstains from sex. Contraceptives are prone to failure, which leads to pregnancy which may lead to another form of contraception... abortion. Circular logic.
And seat belts are not necessary if one abstains from transportation.

And helmets are not necessary if one abstains from playing sports.

And brains are not necessary if one abstains from logic and reason.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
We know that. It is pretty obvious that pro-lifers don't care about the woman.

They know banning abortion will send women back into the hands of back street butchers.....they just don't care. They know they can't stop abortions, but long as the woman is punished, they are good with it.
i don't agree with this.

i think liberals do women a disservice by letting them think that abortion is an "easy" option. women have died having abortions, and it is the last form of birth control a woman should consider.

if both liberals and conservatives took their effort into getting women AND MEN to use responsible birth control BEFORE PREGNANCY everyone in this country would be a lot better off.

and it should all be over the counter-including the morning after pill.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,274,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

i think liberals do women a disservice by letting them think that abortion is an "easy" option. women have died having abortions, and it is the last form of birth control a woman should consider.
It doesn't matter if its an easy option or not. Its none of your business as to why a woman has an abortion.

Quote:
if both liberals and conservatives took their effort into getting women AND MEN to use responsible birth control BEFORE PREGNANCY everyone in this country would be a lot better off.
Liberals and most of the democrats ALREADY want comprehensive birth control coverage (via insurance or a cheap prescription model) and sex education in schools. Its the conservatives and religious right that put up roadblocks to do so.

Quote:
Many Conservaties and devout Catholics say that the morning-after pill is abortion in prescription form.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM

35 posts, read 48,312 times
I'm so tired of hearing about this back-alley butcher crap. If abortion ever did become illegal...and a woman chose to have a "back-alley" abortion...SHE put herself at risk by doing something illegal.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtmarie View Post
I'm so tired of hearing about this back-alley butcher crap. If abortion ever did become illegal...and a woman chose to have a "back-alley" abortion...SHE put herself at risk by doing something illegal.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
Someone claiming to follow the teachings of Christ but not actually doing so is nothing new, hypocricy is part of our human nature. We are broken but we should not seek to do more damage to ourselves through a scourge such as abortion, let alone inflict death upon the most vulnerable.
Praise Jesus. You've just admitted it--hypocrisy, indeed, is part of human nature.

Hypocrisy: The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

With that said, yes, folks will continue to have sex, even religious or semi-religious ones, outside of marriage, and, not this family planning business you had discussed earlier. Folks will not always abstain. The Clergy will continue to sexually abuse. With this realization that the (your) ideal is not real, taking a proactive stance, i.e., contraceptives, education, makes sense and is a rational compromise that benefits both sides, with the least damage (i.e., unintended pregnancies, and abortion) involved.

You didn't touch upon it, but, I raise it again--not a coincidence, that close to 70% of all abortions are performed on Christian and Protestant women--religions that strongly oppose abortion, contraception, and, promote abstinence... It doesn't work. These stats, abstinence-only education stats, contraception stats, the numbers don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09
Who's having abortions (religion)?
Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't agree with this.

Oh please! Liberals don't tout abortion in place of birth control. Liberals believe abortion should be available as a choice, period.

And I agree, we, as a society, should be doing everything possible to prevent unwanted pregnancies....unfourtunely, more often than not, conservatives do everything they can to prevent those efforts from seeing the light of day.

They are against sex education in our schools, they are against Planned Parenthood, which seeks to educate and provide low cost birth control services, they are against making birth control easy to obtain.....especially for teens. They remain steadfastly against these things despite concrete evidence that they reduce abortions.

Instead, they cling to their bibles and the delusion that preaching abstinence is a viable solution. A "solution" that their religious leaders can't even live up to. Go figure.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM

35 posts, read 48,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Praise Jesus. You've just admitted it--hypocrisy, indeed, is part of human nature.

Hypocrisy: The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

With that said, yes, folks will continue to have sex, even religious or semi-religious ones, outside of marriage, and, not this family planning business you had discussed earlier. Folks will not always abstain. The Clergy will continue to sexually abuse. With this realization that the (your) ideal is not real, taking a proactive stance, i.e., contraceptives, education, makes sense and is a rational compromise that benefits both sides, with the least damage (i.e., unintended pregnancies, and abortion) involved.

You didn't touch upon it, but, I raise it again--not a coincidence, that close to 70% of all abortions are performed on Christian and Protestant women--religions that strongly oppose abortion, contraception, and, promote abstinence... It doesn't work. These stats, abstinence-only education stats, contraception stats, the numbers don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09
Who's having abortions (religion)?
Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".

Statistics that identify people by religion are always skewed to me. There are a large number of people that identify themselves as a certain religion but don't actually practice it.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtmarie View Post
I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies