Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,577,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Blue Laws were imposed in the parts of the nation that had GOD fearing Christians who believed GOD was serious when he said to keep the Sabath and make it a day to rest and celbirate The Lord. It is in the 10 Commandments you know. So no work was to be done and stores, shops, banks etc were to be closed on Sunday so GOD fearing people could go to Church! It would be worse if we were a Jewish or Islamic nation then we might have a 3 day weekend.
we still have them here in North Dakota. stores can't open until noon sunday and have to close midnight on saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times
WHAT? These people actually have to WORK in order to receive a paycheck? Perish the thought!

Is there any set law that says that Thanksgiving dinner has to be eaten at a particular time? These people chose to work where they do. Part of the agreement they have as an employee is to work the schedules which they are assigned. If they don't like that, then they are free to get a job with a more accomadating schedule.

Anyone who chooses to work for WalMart and doesn't understand that the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest sales day for that company probally doesn't belong in the retail industry.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,577,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
WHAT? These people actually have to WORK in order to receive a paycheck? Perish the thought!

Is there any set law that says that Thanksgiving dinner has to be eaten at a particular time? These people chose to work where they do. Part of the agreement they have as an employee is to work the schedules which they are assigned. If they don't like that, then they are free to get a job with a more accomadating schedule.

Anyone who chooses to work for WalMart and doesn't understand that the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest sales day for that company probally doesn't belong in the retail industry.
um, i don't think this is about lazy people that don't want to work. and i think you know that. There is this other thing in life BESIDES work called LIFE. if LIFE is WORKING TWENTY FOUR SEVEN than that's not life, except for the rich. (who are now proven to be anti family)

and what's the point of having a holiday then? why not just cancel all holidays, if it doesn't matter if they are celebrated on a certain day, then why have them? boy conservatives would gladly see society and all life itself torn apart if it meant making ten extra cents one day.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:06 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,326,089 times
Well, count me as one conservative who agrees with the workers on this one. Has our society really gotten so greedy and materially driven that we can't set aside one day of the year to spend with our families being grateful for all the blessings that we have? I mean, what better way to show thanks than to go over to Wal-Mart and get into a shoving match over a TV, right?

I'm an RN, I know all about working holidays, and in my case, as in many others, there are some jobs that are just 24/7. Period. But retail should not have to be one of them. Opening at 4 AM on Black Friday isn't good enough? Gotta squeeze eight more hours of Christmas shopping out of those busy little consumers, eh?

Epic fail.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Epic fail.
If last year was any indication, it will be an epic success. Shoppers want to shop earlier. However, I'm open to it failing. If no one shows up on Thursday, then retailers won't have to be open on Thanksgiving the following years. It's about giving the people what they want.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
um, i don't think this is about lazy people that don't want to work. and i think you know that. There is this other thing in life BESIDES work called LIFE. if LIFE is WORKING TWENTY FOUR SEVEN than that's not life, except for the rich. (who are now proven to be anti family)

and what's the point of having a holiday then? why not just cancel all holidays, if it doesn't matter if they are celebrated on a certain day, then why have them? boy conservatives would gladly see society and all life itself torn apart if it meant making ten extra cents one day.
What part of "they chose to work where they are employed" do you not understand?

No one is being forced to do anything here. If people want to stay at home with their family for the holiday, they may. They will probally want to have the elementary foresight to change jobs well before Thanksgiving so that their schedule is free, but it can be done.

I never used the term "lazy" nor did I insinuate that these people were. I stated that they have a choice in how they earn an income - and if they have chosen to make money by working at a place that is open on Thanksgiving, then they should expect to have to show up on that day in order to get paid.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM

708 posts, read 1,062,257 times
Quote:

well said.wish I could give you more reputation.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,487,107 times
Quote:

Most people working on these holidays are volunteering to do so.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:

I would agree with you but I think that cat got out of the bag back when people decided Sunday wasn't any special kind of day and they wanted to do nothing on Sunday but shop.

If Sunday isn't special and we don't want to have even one day of the week to relax and stay home with families, then what makes any day special?

I'm pretty sure the Walmarts and other stores will know how to make Thanksgiving the biggest shopping day of the year -- all they have to do is offer a few cheap televisions or iPods to the first shoppers and there will be a stampede of greedy customers. Maybe even some greedy customers will be suffocated to death by other stampeding greedy customers. Thursday's just as good a day to die shopping as Friday is.

If the workers don't like it, all they have to do is listen to what Obama said and open their own businesses and close them on holidays. After all -- they won't have to work and save up to make their business, someone else does that for them.

Or work and shop at Hobby Lobby or Chic-Filet where traditions like Sundays with family and holidays are respected.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,326,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If last year was any indication, it will be an epic success. Shoppers want to shop earlier. However, I'm open to it failing. If no one shows up on Thursday, then retailers won't have to be open on Thanksgiving the following years. It's about giving the people what they want.
I know, I meant that I feel that it's an epic fail on the part of the retailers to respect their employees and honor the holiday. The whole concept of Black Friday is so dumb anyway. I can almost always beat the Black Friday prices later by buying the same things online. No standing in line, no waiting only to find an empty display rack, just sitting at home the day after Thanksgiving, enjoying my family and decorating the house for Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies