Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
At least you're a gun owner
But.....unlike you.....I will fight against unreasonable regulations against gun ownership that would not directly affect me. Just as I am fighting against unreasonable regulations on abortion....even though I am 59 years old and will never need one.....just as I am fighting for marriage equality for homosexuals....even though I am straight.

Ya know..........."and then they came for me".

You, however, could care less about joining women in their fight against unreasonable regulation.....thanks a bunch.

All of us should be fighting the government against unreasonable regulations that erode our collective rights.....not just those that affect us personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM

18,392 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Being against something and wanting government regulation are too different animals.

But we have to decide when aborting becomes murder. Clearly there is a line when the fetus becomes a viable, sentient human being. If you're ok with abortion at all stages then you must be ok with infanticide in early stages as well.

I'm all about protecting individual rights to do what they want with their body. The problem with abortion is there is a stage when there is more than one body in question.

Such a case never comes up with guns (when you use guns to rob or murder, it's already a crime). Such a thing never comes up with drugs (you only harm your own body).

But the right to abortion, at one point, clearly involves another sentient life. So it's not as cut and dry as you like to think. If you're raped, get an abortion right away. It's easier on your body too.

not only are you callous but you are uneducated on late term abortion. women do not have late term abortion for funzies. late term abortions are done for medical reasons only. the fetus is dying or will die soon after it is born. the woman's health is in danger but again why would you care? you already posted your lack of empathy for a woman's plight. late term abortion is 1% of all abortions. there are only a handful of states that allow it, and in most cases you need two doctors to sign off on it.

so cavalier and easy for you to tell a woman who gets raped to get an early abortion. you need an education on rape victims as well. many feel to ashamed to even report it, many are even in denial about a pregnancy that results from it or like many women don't even realize they are pregnant till many months later.

as you said you don't have a dog in the hunt, which is obvious by your lack of empathy

Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM

18,392 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
But.....unlike you.....I will fight against unreasonable regulations against gun ownership that would not directly affect me. Just as I am fighting against unreasonable regulations on abortion....even though I am 59 years old and will never need one.....just as I am fighting for marriage equality for homosexuals....even though I am straight.

Ya know..........."and then they came for me".

You, however, could care less about joining women in their fight against unreasonable regulation.....thanks a bunch.

All of us should be fighting the government against unreasonable regulations that erode our collective rights.....not just those that affect us personally.
^^^ this wish I could rep you again

Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Being against something and wanting government regulation are too different animals.

But we have to decide when aborting becomes murder. Clearly there is a line when the fetus becomes a viable, sentient human being. If you're ok with abortion at all stages then you must be ok with infanticide in early stages as well.

I'm all about protecting individual rights to do what they want with their body. The problem with abortion is there is a stage when there is more than one body in question.

Such a case never comes up with guns (when you use guns to rob or murder, it's already a crime). Such a thing never comes up with drugs (you only harm your own body).

But the right to abortion, at one point, clearly involves another sentient life. So it's not as cut and dry as you like to think. If you're raped, get an abortion right away. It's easier on your body too.
I am in agreement with using viability as a cutting off point for elective abortion.....just as I am in agreement with reasonable gun restrictions.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
Quote:
She is pro gun-control and yet pro-choice. When it concerns my right to own and to self defense she's all for the government stepping in. When it's down to her wanting an abortion, oh no, government regulation is bad bad.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

Did the proliferation of abortion kill your children?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
^^^ this wish I could rep you again
I got her.

Quote:
...get an abortion right away. It's easier on your body too.
safe... legal... rare... prompt... free

Prompt is ideal.
Why do you suppose that anything but prompt might ever be the case?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
not only are you callous but you are uneducated on late term abortion. women do not have late term abortion for funzies. late term abortions are done for medical reasons only.
No they're not. Many late term abortions are done for medical reasons but many are not. Who can say why some woman will wait so long to make up her mind, but some decide to get an abortion at that stage of pregnancy. There are plenty of abortion doctors who make a living catering to this subset of abortions. Many of them get by state law by deliberately misinterpreting the time of conception.

For those women who get it for medical reasons, I have nothing against them.

Quote:
many feel to ashamed to even report it, many are even in denial about a pregnancy that results from it or like many women don't even realize they are pregnant till many months later.
If they're going to wait that long, sorry. I don't particularly care for them. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I am in agreement with using viability as a cutting off point for elective abortion.....just as I am in agreement with reasonable gun restrictions.
Your reasonable gun regulations infringe on my right to self defense. Why can't I own armor piercing rounds? What if the person has body armor? Why can't I own a fully automatic weapon with clip extensions?

The difference here is late term abortion will destroy a sentient life but me owning those weapons not necessarily so. One is reasonable the other is you playing odds with my life or forcing me to break the law.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Did the proliferation of abortion kill your children?
Neither did the proliferation of guns. Your point, sunshine

Old 12-21-2012, 11:48 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I am in agreement with using viability as a cutting off point for elective abortion...
Most reasonable people are.

Setting aside the matter of the relatively few instances of later term elective abortion...
and the issue that the abortion question should ONLY be between the woman involved, her doctor
and whoever else she may want to include... the principle reasons for not cooperating with this
sort of measure is that the anti-choice side won't stop at this point either.

It's a political football.

How about if the anti's back off altogether from their prior positions first...
most notably being the funding for facilities and professionals that should be
a normal part of public health measures... and THEN we can have the physicians
come up with some scale to base the decisions on? That would work for most I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies