Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
What a fuss the pro "choice" crowd makes if someone even questions whether abortions should be banned or not.
Why is the killing of one million less significant than the killing of twenty children. This is a sick, sick society if we can't even see the illogic in that.
One million? I think you're a little high. Or you're high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Impossible to say because many illegal abortions are officially counted as legal....until the doctor is exposed. Gosnell alone made thousands of illegal abortions. But this casts a doubt on the 10,000-50,000 late term abortions that are done every year. How many are done for honest medical reasons? Not to mention how many late term abortions are left out because dishonest doctors fudged the time of conception by weeks. You are easily looking at a ballpark figure that exceeds gun deaths per year. And not all of those are illegal either.

There were approximately 10,000 at 20 weeks or more, and they don't list reasons. (CDC) (2008)
There were only 1,032 abortions on fetuses at 24 weeks or above in 1997. (Guttmacher)

62.8% at <8 weeks
91.4% at <13 weeks
7.3% from 14 - 20 weeks
1.3% at 21+ weeks.
this is of a total 618,916 total abortions in 2008.

Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2008

Where are you getting 10,000- 50,000 late term abortions?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Where are you getting 10,000- 50,000 late term abortions?
Because the cut-off for late term abortion isn't clear. I consider anything after 15 weeks late term as do some others. Many laws though only consider post 24 weeks as late term.

At 16 weeks, you're about 4 months in. Generally not considered viable but no one can deny the fetus is just a "fetus" in this stage. Anyone whose seen an ultrasound that is. Somewhere between 5-6 months the baby does become viable with modern technology.

The earliest baby born to have survived was 20-21 weeks.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who said they weren't living.
They don't meet the definition of "baby" - but you knew that.

Cancer is a living organism, too.

Will cancer ever be a self sustaining lifeform?

Is a newborn that has to breastfeed still a parasite like cancer?
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Will cancer ever be a self sustaining lifeform?

Is a newborn that has to breastfeed still a parasite like cancer?
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Newborns do not have to breastfeed. There is formula and bottles that can do the job, and anyone with hands is able to feed a newborn.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Because the cut-off for late term abortion isn't clear. I consider anything after 15 weeks late term as do some others. Many laws though only consider post 24 weeks as late term.

At 16 weeks, you're about 4 months in. Generally not considered viable but no one can deny the fetus is just a "fetus" in this stage. Anyone whose seen an ultrasound that is. Somewhere between 5-6 months the baby does become viable with modern technology.

The earliest baby born to have survived was 20-21 weeks.
What you consider late term, and what the law considers late term are off. I would go with the government on this, they have people who have studied this, and know more than you or I ever will about fetal development.

I personally am fine with 20 weeks. After that for medical issues only.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
She is pro gun-control and yet pro-choice. When it concerns my right to own and to self defense she's all for the government stepping in. When it's down to her wanting an abortion, oh no, government regulation is bad bad.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?
I've never said I was pro gun control, but reading on CD has quickly changed my mind.
You don't seem to understanding that the rights to one's body is not the same as the rights to a thing.

Are you really so confused what you can't tell the difference between people and things?

You, sir, are the reason why I'm leaning towards gun control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so full of pro life you only care about the fetus that grows yet could care less about the woman. what a compassionate and empathetic person you are

third world american taliban thinking. women will not be dragged back. like a man we have the right to control our own bodies, make our own choice.
Well, they can shoot us for not carring an unwanted fetus.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Neither did the proliferation of guns. Your point, sunshine
It killed some people's kids.
In fact it killed a lot of people's kids.
I know that's of no consequence to you since they weren't your kids.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,690 times

Helen Reddy - I am woman ( lyrics on screen) - YouTube

This is for chiligirl and hothulamamma

Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I personally am fine with 20 weeks. After that for medical issues only.
Well, the government is beholden to special interests as much as anything else. Take a glance at the Israeli lobby for example.

But, there have been babies who survived at the 20-21 week mark with the help of medical technology. meaning viability starts here. We should play it safe and go earlier, several weeks earlier (which makes a big difference in this regard). This is why I say at 15. You know that afterwards things start to get murky and we want to err on the side of life here. By that time, the woman has had plenty of time to make up her mind. if she can't make up her mind, why should her choice be respected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies