Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So excuse my typo, it's not easy typing on an ipod.
You knew it was stupid and it came to your mind.
You named your brain, I didn't.
Do you mean "hippie" because I'm not very hippy.

Apparently your last sentence is accurate.
I've seen some of the logic you ineffectually attempt.

Why the hell would I like a stupid song, because you do?
Geez.
So, were you a hippy before you decided to be a hippie? I thought hippies were supposed to love everything and everybody, even tiny, or is it tinie, little "fetuses". What happened to that? Of course a different sort of hippi comes to mind, like the Charles Manson type? Yes, I did kinda like that dumb song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
That's very interesting. Does a 25-week old fetus suddenly begin to process thought? Or does it take the traumatic experience of going out the mother's vagina for the baby to suddenly start possessing those "neural networks." Or maybe that baby doesn't yet either, and we should allow the mother to strangle her or him?

Maybe you don't possess any neural networks considering that idiotic statement above
Quote:
But when does the magical journey of consciousness begin? Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation. When Does Consciousness Arise in Human Babies?: Scientific American
FACTS trump uninformed, idiotic opinion every time...

Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
FACTS trump uninformed, idiotic opinion every time...
Those are not facts. Those are scientific theories. Do you know the difference?

Btw, nothing there mentions when consciousness begins. Just where the development of the "thalamo-cortical complex" begins which they theorize is providing consciousness with its "highly elaborate content."

You can't even read and understand what's being said. How sad.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
What a fuss the pro "choice" crowd makes if someone even questions whether abortions should be banned or not.
Why is the killing of one million less significant than the killing of twenty children. This is a sick, sick society if we can't even see the illogic in that.
You mean one million kids were killed with machine guns? that's terrible, they should ban all fetus's.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Those are not facts. Those are scientific theories. Do you know the difference?

Btw, nothing there mentions when consciousness begins. Just where the development of the "thalamo-cortical complex" begins which they theorize is providing consciousness with its "highly elaborate content.

You can't even read and understand what's being said. How sad.
Read the entire article - you might learn something.

I have found that those who are quick to start hurling insults do so because that are devoid of any actual knowledge.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Read the entire article - you might learn something.

I have found that those who are quick to start hurling insults do so because that are devoid of any actual knowledge.
Why? Science does not know exactly when consciousness comes into place. There is no hard and fast line between consciousness unless you're talking about a sentient creature being alive then dying. All your article summarized was that a certain level of complexity is reached at so and so stage in gestational development that allows for consciousness to be "richer."

All of this fine. Science is cool and all. But we're not going to base our laws on the shaky premises of a science in her infancy (neuroscience). A much clear, hard and fast rule is viability. If the baby can survive outside the mother and develop into a sentient being then as a society that treasures life, we should err on the side of life. Since this has been observed to occur at the 20th week, our cutoff needs to be before.

If you think you can add something of intelligence instead of confusing facts for scientific theories (which are extrapolations based on facts that are testable and verifiable) and a fundamental misreading of the summary (they didn't say consciousness began at 24-28 weeks, hint hint) then let's have it.

But if you think you're going to power through this linking to "big" words off the internet, you got another thing coming.

Last edited by zombieApocExtraordinaire; 12-22-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 PM

464 posts, read 479,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you should be able to see the difference between a fetus and a class room full of 6 year olds. that tragedy has nothing to do with abortion nor should it be used as a round about way to make point of your feeling about a woman's right to choice.
THIS!

I'm not going to read every post in this thread but I think it's disgusting that people are using the subject of abortion for the shooting. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:19 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
THIS!

I'm not going to read every post in this thread but I think it's disgusting that people are using the subject of abortion for the shooting. One has nothing to do with the other.
From a right wing perspective, or their point of view, it has everything to do with it.

Now, the NRA says armed guards should be in every school. OK, if they're willing to take that money they receive from arms mfrs and give towards that cause, instead of giving money to politicians and other pro gun organizations for their agenda. This could be their new agenda, protecting school children and teachers, if they're really sincere and mean what they say.

Otherwise, protectionism will go onto the backs of taxpayers.
Kind of mafioso if you asked me.
If you want protection, you'll pay to be protected from what they promote, guns.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
From a right wing perspective, or their point of view, it has everything to do with it.

Now, the NRA says armed guards should be in every school. OK, if they're willing to take that money they receive from arms mfrs and give towards that cause, instead of giving money to politicians and other pro gun organizations for their agenda. This could be their new agenda, protecting school children and teachers, if they're really sincere and mean what they say.

Otherwise, protectionism will go onto the backs of taxpayers.
Kind of mafioso if you asked me.
If you want protection, you'll pay to be protected from what they promote, guns.
That's called extortion.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Every abortion is a tragedy, and no child should have to die alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies