Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well I just saw his performance and the kid belt it out of the park sort to say! I don't think it was "racist" NBA fans considering most NBA players are black! Moreso ignorant trolls who have issues with Immigration?
We will never stop those!
I have "issues" with (illegal) immigration. But he's a kid. An incredibly talented kid who sang the American national anthem with great respect. Anyone who wants to trash a little boy is a low life unworthy of attention.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
I believe that anybody can sing the American anthem as this is a free country. However,

What do you think?

A. It is disrespectful for a person to dress in another country's style (Mariachi) of clothing and sing an American anthem.

B. It is ok as long as no one makes fun of the American Anthem.

C. Not sure

D. None of the above.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Don't you think is disrespectful for a person to dress in another country's style of clothing and sing an American anthem?
Well, technically Canadians and Mexicans are "American" as are US citizens.

And, to answer your question, no. No, it doesn't bother me and I don't find it disrespectful (nor do I think it was intended that way.)

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
^ what type of clothing? Cinco de Mayo we wear Mexican hats! St. Patrick's Day we wear "green"!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Sheesh. I don't usually start threads here, but this really gets my goat out.

The Daily Dot - A Mexican-American boy sang the National Anthem, and racist NBA fans can't handle it

I mean, just look at the hateful Twitter comments shown on the page. It's truly disgusting. What a bunch of ignorant bigotry. Do these buffoons realize that people can have a different skin color and native language and come from outside our borders and still be 100% American?
People are basically stupid.

Don't look to twitter to be the voice of the nation.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
On edit: I just re-read all of the tweets and I suspect some may have been meant as a stab at comedy. Still, there were some very mean-spirited things said. What is wrong with people?
It is difficult to read satire over the internet.

It doesn't mater who sang our anthem.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Well I just saw his performance and the kid belt it out of the park sort to say! I don't think it was "racist" NBA fans considering most NBA players are black! Moreso ignorant trolls who have issues with Immigration?
We will never stop those!
Black people can't be racist?

Regardless, it's truly despicable that people would project their bigotry onto a CHILD - no matter the color of his skin or native country. Do we even know his immigration status or place of birth? I think some of those loser bigots forget Hispanic people (and Blacks, Asians, Jews, etc) can and do often go back many generations in the US. I'm only second-generation on one side and third on the other, and meet people MUCH less white than me who've been here 5+ generations. What idiots.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
People are basically stupid.

Don't look to twitter to be the voice of the nation.
Yeah, pretty much... that's why I generally avoid sites like Twitter (never used it), and only selectively read comment threads on news or Facebook stories. Sometimes I yearn for the days before social networking, when I could ignorantly live in my "people are generally good" bubble. Sadly, the Internet has shown us how awful some people can be - and the worst always seem to flap their mouths (keyboards) the loudest.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Well, technically Canadians and Mexicans are "American" as are US citizens.

And, to answer your question, no. No, it doesn't bother me and I don't find it disrespectful (nor do I think it was intended that way.)
True both are American, but I meant the United States lol. Well yeah maybe you are right, maybe it was not intended that way. But I don't know I'm very patriotic I guess. I don't think for a United States anthem people should be dressed in a Mariachi outfit. That is like wearing an Italian or England t-shirt while singing the anthem. Do you see from where I'm coming from? And do you still think it is right for someone to dress in a Mariachi outfit when singing the anthem?

What I am saying is that people can dress however they want but when they sing a US anthem, they should dress neutral, if that makes sense. I feel that it the US anthem is sacred, and I feel like that kid was insulting the US, by wearing the Mariachi outfit.

Quote:
^ what type of clothing? Cinco de Mayo we wear Mexican hats! St. Patrick's Day we wear "green"!
When you celebrate Cinco de Mayo that it is fine to wear Mexican hats because is for that day. It is like if you go to Mexico on that day, and have an American flag. The Mexican people will be very vexed at you, because it is not the US day is a 'day'for the Mexican people. Do you see from where I'm coming from or do you still feel the same?

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 06-12-2013 at 11:40 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
I'm just curious, this kid did such a good job with the national Anthem. What drives certain people to protest people like him? He is born and raised here in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies