Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Right. You do realize that has nothing to do with anything right?
Don't you think that if you are holding a pistol a couple of inches from someone that it might nullify your argument a bit? You are in no danger of missing. Not at that close range.

Of course Zimmerman claimed he was on his back and shot Martin as Martin was on top beating on him. Which would mean that the trajectory of the bullet would have been at an angle. But according to the autopsy it was a straight on shot. And, the beating never happened anyway.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
In his statement to the police, GZ stated that TM Asked him why he was following him, and as he responded with, "What are you doing here?", TM cold cocked him. Even at 62 my memory isn't that bad!
Apparently it is. GZ in his statement to police and in the re-enactment says that he only replied "Nothing" or "no problem" then walked away when TM asked "What's your problem?".

Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Don't you think that if you are holding a pistol a couple of inches from someone that it might nullify your argument a bit? You are in no danger of missing. Not at that close range.
No, it does not nullify my argument. My argument has nothing to do with being in danger of missing, at all. It's irrelevant.

You do not shoot extremities because you do not shoot for a psychological stop. That in itself lends support to the argument that you were not in fear enough for your life to use the most effective tactic available to you. Which 9/10 times would be to hit center mass, and in the rare close proximity scenario, a head shot.

I'm getting off topic for this thread, this all started as a response to the argument that one should be expected to decrease the effectiveness of their defense in order to save the life of their attacker. Which is a ridiculous assertion which will both diminish your safety and land you in a world of legal trouble.

You either shoot to stop the threat because you are in fear for your life or serious bodily injury, or you do nothing, because you are not.

In fact, you should not even brandish a firearm or other weapon until you are in fear enough that you could justify it as self defense. And you sure as hell do not point or shoot until that point. Brandishing is usually a misdemeanor, even pointing a firearm is a felony assault in most states.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Looking real bad....I hope that Zman walks, this is an OBVIOUS case of self-defense.

But, I think this one is going to be decided based on what is best for society......IE, prevent certain "folks" from rioting/burning/looting.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM

362 posts, read 794,932 times
What will do Zimmerman is, is forensic, I just heard Trayvon was 150 pounds and zimmerman 200 pounds at the time of the incident, but the forensics of Trayvon not having any bruses or abbresions on his hand is what will do in Zman.

Remember he said Trayvon was punching and pounding his head in the pavement. I've been in fights and people heads are a round object. Yes zimmerman did have cuts in the back of his head (suggesting he was punched in the face with his head to the ground.) The problem, is that at a high speed punches kind of slide of a skull. That is you punch someone hard in the face cleanly or unclean their head moves and your hand ends up ricocheting onto the concrete and your hands are going to be cut big time. Also the story of him sliding his body up but his shirt going up make no sense. When you slide your body up your shirt comes down, not up, so his shirt could not slide revealing his gun if what he said was true.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No, it does not nullify my argument. My argument has nothing to do with being in danger of missing, at all. It's irrelevant.

You do not shoot extremities because you do not shoot for a psychological stop. That in itself lends support to the argument that you were not in fear enough for your life to use the most effective tactic available to you. Which 9/10 times would be to hit center mass, and in the rare close proximity scenario, a head shot.

I'm getting off topic for this thread, this all started as a response to the argument that one should be expected to decrease the effectiveness of their defense in order to save the life of their attacker. Which is a ridiculous assertion which will both diminish your safety and land you in a world of legal trouble.

You either shoot to stop the threat because you are in fear for your life or serious bodily injury, or you do nothing, because you are not.
Look. If you were in fear of your life of course what you are writing is absolutely correct.

But Zimmerman was not in fear of his life. Not even close. The beating that he claimed that took place didn't happen. Even the investigating detective called him on that.

I really didn't look very closely at this case for a month or so. Then I started reading some on it. The beatings, etc, etc. When I saw the video of Zimmerman bouncing out of that police car at the station I knew beyond doubt that he hadn't been beaten. That he was lying. And when I saw the picture of his face with the supposed beating I had to laugh. I got more injured than that in football practice in high school and college.

But I also was in the Army for 20 years. I saw real fights, real beatings there. And the results of those fights and beatings. Zimmerman lied. And he murdered an innocent kid.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Looking real bad....I hope that Zman walks, this is an OBVIOUS case of self-defense.

But, I think this one is going to be decided based on what is best for society......IE, prevent certain "folks" from rioting/burning/looting.
I don't believe for a second that Hispanics would do any of those things if GZ was found guilty.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Look. If you were in fear of your life of course what you are writing is absolutely correct.

But Zimmerman was not in fear of his life. Not even close. The beating that he claimed that took place didn't happen. Even the investigating detective called him on that.

I really didn't look very closely at this case for a month or so. Then I started reading some on it. The beatings, etc, etc. When I saw the video of Zimmerman bouncing out of that police car at the station I knew beyond doubt that he hadn't been beaten. That he was lying. And when I saw the picture of his face with the supposed beating I had to laugh. I got more injured than that in football practice in high school and college.

But I also was in the Army for 20 years. I saw real fights, real beatings there. And the results of those fights and beatings. Zimmerman lied.
Well I don't know his whole story, but I don't buy for a second that he was beat as bad as he seems to be claiming, based on what I've heard.

I can buy that he had his head bashed on the ground maybe once or twice, but whatever DNA evidence just came out seems to go against that as well.

I really don't care about this case enough to put in the necessary work to make a very informed judgement now, which I will probably do once all of the evidence from the trial has been compiled into a nice neat format somewhere where I can read it. What I do however care about is the 90/10 noise to signal ratio surrounding it.

But my point was that if he was in fear for his life, he was absolutely justified in using lethal force as opposed to just shooting the guy's ear off or something, which would have been a horribly stupid thing to do. And if he was not in fear for his life, he would be guilty of a serious crime had he even pointed his weapon.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
What will do Zimmerman is, is forensic, I just heard Trayvon was 150 pounds and zimmerman 200 pounds at the time of the incident, but the forensics of Trayvon not having any bruses or abbresions on his hand is what will do in Zman.

Remember he said Trayvon was punching and pounding his head in the pavement. I've been in fights and people heads are a round object. Yes zimmerman did have cuts in the back of his head (suggesting he was punched in the face with his head to the ground.) The problem, is that at a high speed punches kind of slide of a skull. That is you punch someone hard in the face cleanly or unclean their head moves and your hand ends up ricocheting onto the concrete and your hands are going to be cut big time. Also the story of him sliding his body up but his shirt going up make no sense. When you slide your body up your shirt comes down, not up, so his shirt could not slide revealing his gun if what he said was true.

Ok, how do you suggest Zimmerman got those injuries.......he smashed his nose himself??????

Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
I don't believe for a second that Hispanics would do any of those things if GZ was found guilty.

Haha, I see what you did there....not too cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies