Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Those two are not my nationality.
I am of German descent along with my father being from Greece.

I currently fly two flags at my home, the first being the American flag followed by the Greek political party flag of the Golden Dawn.

I highly doubt you know who the Golden Dawn are or what we represent so it would behoove you to look it up.
I know what Golden Dawn is about. You cannot be loyal to the USA and then support Golden Dawn. With all of the violence coming from Golden Dawn, I can't support it. Going in the streets and attacking people, I have no reason to support it. Look, I don't support illegal immigration, but Golden Dawn has taken it to violence. And being a Black man, I have to think about this. Suppose I were to go to Greece, as a tourist? I would be worried because I get the idea some Golden Dawn members might attack me for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know what Golden Dawn is about. You cannot be loyal to the USA and then support Golden Dawn. With all of the violence coming from Golden Dawn, I can't support it. Going in the streets and attacking people, I have no reason to support it. Look, I don't support illegal immigration, but Golden Dawn has taken it to violence. And being a Black man, I have to think about this. Suppose I were to go to Greece, as a tourist? I would be worried because I get the idea some Golden Dawn members might attack me for no reason.
I believe in laws but laws are constantly broken , even here in America.The people get sick and then take a violent approach. The country and lack of law enforcement is the root of the problem in Greece and in the United States... there are some loose cannons out there when the government doesn't do their job. Especially if the rate of unemployment is as high as Greece and hunger and anger takes root.It can get really ugly and violent.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

You would be a tourist, thus you would have proper documentation.

Did you know there are black born Greek citizens that are protected via the Golden Dawn, not because of skin color but because they are Greek citizens?
Of course you didn't know that. Now you do.

You and I have had a similar conversation a few months ago on a thread where you were wanting to visit Greece.

Due to the political upheaval I suggest that you don't visit Greece until stabilization occurs.

I told you this then and I will tell you again, Greece at the moment is no place for anyone of any color that does not hold Greek citizenship.

I have a Greek last name and am olive skinned with curly/wavy dark hair and I would feel unsafe in Greece at the moment.

You can be black, white, brown or even of Asian ancestry, as long as you are a Greek citizen your safe from certain factions, if your not and you have crossed the border illegally and are obtaining government services you need to be extremely afraid.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
There in lies the double standard. A white person cannot claim to be proud to be white without being labeled racist.
Usually because, as in this case, the racist symbolism is all over this float.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
You would be a tourist, thus you would have proper documentation.

Did you know there are black born Greek citizens that are protected via the Golden Dawn, not because of skin color but because they are Greek citizens?
Of course you didn't know that. Now you do.

You and I have had a similar conversation a few months ago on a thread where you were wanting to visit Greece.

Due to the political upheaval I suggest that you don't visit Greece until stabilization occurs.

I told you this then and I will tell you again, Greece at the moment is no place for anyone of any color that does not hold Greek citizenship.

I have a Greek last name and am olive skinned with curly/wavy dark hair and I would feel unsafe in Greece at the moment.

You can be black, white, brown or even of Asian ancestry, as long as you are a Greek citizen your safe from certain factions, if your not and you have crossed the border illegally and are obtaining government services you need to be extremely afraid.
Do you really think that Golden Dawn would ask a "foreign" looking person if they were a Greek citizen or not before attacking them?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezkiln View Post
That's funny. History for whites is tied hand in hand with the enslavement of another peoples. And that's somehow a point of pride.
It's also tied to landing a spaceship on the moon. And that's somehow a point of pride.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Do you really think that Golden Dawn would ask a "foreign" looking person if they were a Greek citizen or not before attacking them?

Yes, since my extended family is directly involved in Golden Dawn I have knowledge of such.

You must remember that Golden Dawn is not just a quasi police force they are also a political party and hold power in parliament.

Violence is not something that is done without cause.

Public opinion is very important concerning gaining additional seats in Parlament, so far the house cleaning of illegals is an extremely popular and positive bearing activity for Golden Dawn.

Greece for Greeks only.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For some weird reason, I highly doubt this is going to have a lot of whites celebrating white history month.

Whites just really aren't into that kind of thing. Just like you don't hear whites calling perfect strangers "brother" or "sister" or nodding to them like they've met them before. You can go your whole life and never hear a white person talk about helping or doing something for "my people", whites don't look at other whites and see "my people".
They do where they are a minority.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So anyone who is proud of their "skin color" and waves a Confederate flag was for slavery and is racist?
Well, if it quacks like a duck..........

Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Point of fact, you are incorrect on the bolded portion (emphasis mine). If you recall your history lessons, slavery was extremely prolific in South America and the Caribbean during the same time it was active in the United States. In fact, Brazil was the most common destination for slaves during the Atlantic Slave Trade. Less than 4% of slaves were sent to the United States.
Fascinating Database about the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade » Sociological Images
Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade
Right.....but all that tells you is that slavery was a horrible experience in all of the Americas, not just here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies