Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yes, but I don't recall them having slaves over HERE.
I saw a history program the other day that says just that. Some black people in America also owned slaves. These things were recorded in the census. You can look them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim Robinson View Post
Oh I bet they all do. If they read 'Ebony' and watch BET, then yes they know about it.
Do you? If not, you don't have any basis to make that statement.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:46 PM

226 posts, read 230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I won't even dignify this insanity with a response except to say that God had nothing to do with this.
You can't respond because it is the truth.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We know the USA isn't the only society to practice slavery. However, none of that is pertinent to this discussion. Why? We are talking about THIS society, American society.
It absolutely is.

The same society that has a holocaust museum in DC that recognizes an atrocity that DIDN'T HAPPEN HERE.

So who sold who to whom?

You can blame all the slave owners for doing what was ACCEPTED at the time, but who SOLD who to WHOM...and for what?

Where does slavery STILL exist?

Can you say "Africa"?

Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yes, but I don't recall them having slaves over HERE.
You should do a little more research.

Because they did.

Quote:
According to federal census reports, on June 1, 1860 there were nearly 4.5 million Negroes in the United States, with fewer than four million of them living in the southern slaveholding states. Of the blacks residing in the South, 261,988 were not slaves. Of this number, 10,689 lived in New Orleans. The country's leading African American historian, Duke University professor John Hope Franklin, records that in New Orleans over 3,000 free Negroes owned slaves, or 28 percent of the free Negroes in that city.
Quote:
To return to the census figures quoted above, this 28 percent is certainly impressive when compared to less than 1.4 percent of all American whites and less than 4.8 percent of southern whites. The statistics show that, when free, blacks disproportionately became slave masters.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It absolutely is.

The same society that has a holocaust museum in DC that recognizes an atrocity that DIDN'T HAPPEN HERE.

So who sold who to whom?

You can blame all the slave owners for doing what was ACCEPTED at the time, but who SOLD who to WHOM...and for what?

Where does slavery STILL exist?

Can you say "Africa"?
I will answer that. Yes slavery still exists in Africa. And it was mostly Northern USA ships that brought the slaves to Charleston and other slave trade places to be sold. I am still trying to figure out why people in the North think they have the right to bad mouth the South. I don't say anything about them until they start mouthing about the people I care about. I live around really good, friendly people and they don't deserve to be talked about like some of these posters do. I don't think I will ever understand why people up North always want to make everything a contest as to who is better than the other. When you know you are all right; you don't have to keep proving to anybody that you are better than they are.

Why would anybody get out of shape about a farmer and a truck full of watermelon? I would just ask him how much he wanted for one. I don't go around flying the Confederate flag but it does not offend me in any way. It is just a part of history. One of my neighbors has a "Don't tread on me flag." I would love to hear the story behind that one. I looked it up but am still not sure what it is doing flying in his yard. Doesn't bother me at all though. It is his yard and he can do what he wants to as long as it is legal.

Our town has sign laws, but we have no flag laws that I know about.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
No they weren't savages. Indians and blacks were designated savages. You must understand, America would have never been at it's greatest without those Jim Crow laws ever initiated. You must understand that segregation had to be enacted back then in public places and facilities for social dominance to be established over blacks who were highly uneducated after the civil war and so on. They were basically lost without the guidance of white educated people and the laws that were created to help them become conditioned to post slavery and reconstruction and beyond. It was highly needed to build them a future of co-existence, a segregated co-existence under the motto "Separate But Equal" according to 'Plessey v Ferguson, the 7-1 ruling landmark Supreme Court Case in 1896. There was 58 glorious years in the United States after that decision until the dreadful ruling in Brown v Board of Education. After that with the Civil Rights Act and Immigration Act of 1965, everything has gone down hill for America including the dumbing down of our nations kids do to desegragation of our schools and the destruction of good Christian American family traditions and moral values that has sustained this nation since its inception. God Help Us!
Excuse me? Answer this question. How was Jim Crow good for Blacks? All it did for Blacks was make the lives of Black people very hard, basically put Blacks under a quasi-dictatorship. Separate was not equal. Blacks were given worse facilities than Whites, given the hand-me-down textbooks from White schools, most Blacks couldn't vote, therefore, didn't have a say in the government. Jim Crow was implemented for the benefit of Whites, not Blacks.

As for "uneducated Blacks", there were alot of uneducated Whites living in the South after Reconstruction. The Deep South was the poorest region in the nation. The education system compared to the rest of the nation was much poorer. The slavery system basically made the South further behind, as education was skimped on. Black slaves were not allowed to learn how to read, and barely any schools were built for White children in most places. Mostly the gentry got educated. Some northerners did come to the South during Reconstruction to educate people. If Blacks were "uneducated", it had everything to do with how the South worked.

Nation going downhill for our children? This nation was never good for Blacks much of the nation's history. What kind of nation says "serve in the army" but makes segregated army units by race? What kind of nation is it where someone can serve in the army, and still get treated like a second class citizen because of their skin color?

Now answer some more questions for me.What does civil rights have to do with a moral breakdown in America? How does making sure everyone has the same rights contribute to a moral breakdown in society? What kind of nation says "land of freedom and opportunity" and then treats people of a different race like second class citizens, places voting restrictions on them, putting them under quasi-dictatorship? How was Jim Crow ever good for Black people?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:08 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
You can't respond because it is the truth.
Actually, everything you have expressed has nothing to do with being Christian. It is the opposite. It has everything to do with treating people like second-class citizens, and exercising predatory public policies.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
No they weren't savages. Indians and blacks were designated savages. You must understand, America would have never been at it's greatest without those Jim Crow laws ever initiated.

You must understand that segregation had to be enacted back then in public places and facilities for social dominance to be established over blacks who were highly uneducated after the civil war and so on.

They were basically lost without the guidance of white educated people and the laws that were created to help them become conditioned to post slavery and reconstruction and beyond.

It was highly needed to build them a future of co-existence, a segregated co-existence under the motto "Separate But Equal" according to 'Plessey v Ferguson, the 7-1 ruling landmark Supreme Court Case in 1896.

There was 58 glorious years in the United States after that decision until the dreadful ruling in Brown v Board of Education.

After that with the Civil Rights Act and Immigration Act of 1965, everything has gone down hill for America including the dumbing down of our nations kids do to desegragation of our schools and the destruction of good Christian American family traditions and moral values that has sustained this nation since its inception. God Help Us!
You contradict you own lame theory.

If Jim Crow was desinged to "intergrate" uneducated blacks into "society" then that task failed miserably. Jim Crow asserted white dominance over blacks, but failed to accomplish any other of your claimed goals.

Poverty, health care, education, politcal enfranchisement, to list a few... remained close to post civil war conditions with your "imagined good" Jim Crow. Not until the people won case after case in the United States Supreme Court, did real change and enfranchisment of all peoples in the south happen.

Sad... that you have "read how to" or have conjured up [on your own]... this mythical benevolent intention of Jim Crow laws in the south. Sucks for you, that Jim Crow was shown to be the sham it always was.

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 07-08-2013 at 03:28 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
No they weren't savages. Indians and blacks were designated savages. You must understand, America would have never been at it's greatest without those Jim Crow laws ever initiated. You must understand that segregation had to be enacted back then in public places and facilities for social dominance to be established over blacks who were highly uneducated after the civil war and so on. They were basically lost without the guidance of white educated people and the laws that were created to help them become conditioned to post slavery and reconstruction and beyond. It was highly needed to build them a future of co-existence, a segregated co-existence under the motto "Separate But Equal" according to 'Plessey v Ferguson, the 7-1 ruling landmark Supreme Court Case in 1896. There was 58 glorious years in the United States after that decision until the dreadful ruling in Brown v Board of Education. After that with the Civil Rights Act and Immigration Act of 1965, everything has gone down hill for America including the dumbing down of our nations kids do to desegragation of our schools and the destruction of good Christian American family traditions and moral values that has sustained this nation since its inception. God Help Us!
Yep,its all due to desegregation.

Do is spelt due.

You sure are a fine example of this dumbing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies