Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Fine for the catholics and christians, but there are many of us who go the other way. The secular way.
Catholics are Christians, just a different denomination.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I have a few Mannheim Steamroller tapes than I have to force myself to put away in March.
I got Mannheim's NEW Christmas album - Old Standards, done their way - some with vocals - IT IS FANTASTIC!. If you like Mannheim - get it!

Also got Josh Grobans album - very nice

Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I got Mannheim's NEW Christmas album - Old Standards, done their way - some with vocals - IT IS FANTASTIC!. If you like Mannheim - get it!

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Oh that Josh Groban, he gave me the chills lighting that NY City Tree.
Plus, he was on ABC this morning with Diane Sawyer and the News........
Sings like a lark, he does!
I have to get that. Darn if I went to Ellens Show, I'd of gotten it for free

Old 12-01-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As I recall, it is the Christains who are getting offended by the use of "Happy Holidays", not the other way around. I haven't heard of anyone complaining that someone told them to have a "Merry Christmas."

If you are one of those Christians who gets offended when someone wishes you a "Happy Holidays", get over it. First of all, the person wishing you a "Happy Holidays" may not know (or care) your religion. Secondly, they are still wishing you to be happy and only the most stuck-up intolerant jerk could take offense at that.
Glitch I really don't care one way or the other.......Say "Happy Holiday" or say " Merry Christmas". So I don't have to "get over it"
I don't care also how someone chooses to worship, or not. Thats not my worry, it is too personal. Worship as you wish,and be happy with it.
My reference was to "ending" completely the term........."Merry Christmas"
Which some have hopes that we will.
If it makes me a stuck-up intolerant jerk to want things as they have been for hundreds of years.......so be it.
But, tonight I am headed to church with my family, and it feels so good.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Oh that Josh Groban, he gave me the chills lighting that NY City Tree.
Plus, he was on ABC this morning with Diane Sawyer and the News........
Sings like a lark, he does!
I have to get that. Darn if I went to Ellens Show, I'd of gotten it for free
I'm not naysaying Groban, but I do think he's hyped up a bit. I was actually thinking about this earlier today. He has a pretty face, which is why a lot of people think he's greater than other singers, I think. He really sings no better, and dare I say not as well, than many great broadway singers.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I haven't gotten off my butt to record my own album, and I know I can sing better (and write better songs...for those who actually write their own material) than many people who are making lots of cash out there.

I was thinking of getting that album for my grandma. She loves him.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I'm not naysaying Groban, but I do think he's hyped up a bit. I was actually thinking about this earlier today. He has a pretty face, which is why a lot of people think he's greater than other singers, I think. He really sings no better, and dare I say not as well, than many great broadway singers.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I haven't gotten off my butt to record my own album, and I know I can sing better (and write better songs...for those who actually write their own material) than many people who are making lots of cash out there.

I was thinking of getting that album for my grandma. She loves him.
I'm jealous of him too, because I'd of loved his job also...........
Singing is great ,and rewarding.
I don't think he is handsome at all. I like old, and young singers, actually.
I always loved N'Sync as a group. The Back Street Boys also as a good group.
Right now there is not that many good male singers out there.
I do like Josh Turner, for country.
Groban, is good for Christmas songs other then that.........I doubt I'd buy anything else of his.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As I recall, it is the Christains who are getting offended by the use of "Happy Holidays", not the other way around. I haven't heard of anyone complaining that someone told them to have a "Merry Christmas."
If you are one of those Christians who gets offended when someone wishes you a "Happy Holidays", get over it. First of all, the person wishing you a "Happy Holidays" may not know (or care) your religion. Secondly, they are still wishing you to be happy and only the most stuck-up intolerant jerk could take offense at that.
Some of the posters have complained about that. I'd have to go all through this thread to find the posts, and I have groceries to unload. So look back through. I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, particularly people of another faith that doesn't recognize this holiday. I think many Christians see the holiday hype as taking away from the religious aspect of Christmas as well. I would be happy if the clerks at the stores said "Thank you"! I don't know them, I don't care if they wish me a merry Christmas or whatnot. Yes, if someone says "Happy Holidays" I will be pleased.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Some of the posters have complained about that. I'd have to go all through this thread to find the posts, and I have groceries to unload. So look back through. I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, particularly people of another faith that doesn't recognize this holiday. I think many Christians see the holiday hype as taking away from the religious aspect of Christmas as well. I would be happy if the clerks at the stores said "Thank you"! I don't know them, I don't care if they wish me a merry Christmas or whatnot. Yes, if someone says "Happy Holidays" I will be pleased.
I agree. I would much rather hear "Happy Holidays" than "Can I see some ID?", or the ever-popular "Is that going be it?"

"Is that going to be it." What the hell am I supposed to say? "No, that's not going to be it." "Something else is going to be it"? How about "No, you're going to be it."

Or "Did you find everything okay?" ("No, I found everything not okay." Or "No, I didn't find everything okay." Or "No, I didn't find everything. Okay?")

I rarely go out in public except at Christmas time. My wife makes me stay home. When I do go out, it's usually for stocking stuffers. Tootsie rolls, gold foil-wrapped chocolate money, sugar plums, pencils, socks, and trinkets. I stand in front of huge displays of merchandise, muttering.

Sooner or later some clerk wearing a blinking snowman pin walks up and asks "Are you finding everything okay?"

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,018 times
Default Holiday party

I went to a community holiday gathering. The performers put on a song/dance and one of the songs was Merry Christmas, however they plugged in Happy holidays instead. But didnt hesitate to bring Santa out. Santa is the make believe figure for Christmas...funny huh? Plus big companies have no problem making millions off of us for Christmas, but can't say Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies