Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
So are you saying with a straight face that the reason poor people dont pay any federal income tax is because Democrats in congress forced those little wimpy Republicans to go along with them?

Is there some type of poor people lobby?

Or maybe the real reason why poor people dont pay any federal income tax is because Republicans wanted to cut taxes on the rich and this made it more appealing for Dems to go along with them by cutting taxes on the poor too?
Yes, that is correct. If you take away the welfare recipients, there wouldn't be the Democrat party which currently the largest party in the country.

If you think the rich is running the country, you are seriously wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 PM

182 posts, read 331,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes, that is correct. If you take away the welfare recipients, there wouldn't be the Democrat party which currently the largest party in the country.
So all, or at least the vast majority of Democrats, are welfare recpients?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post

So just 1% of the population hold 40% of the entire income..... Wow talk about inequality.

This inequality is caused by lack of a free market economy, and not by tax policy. Raising taxes on high income individuals will not rectify the problems with the free market economy.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
So all, or at least the vast majority of Democrats, are welfare recpients?
How did you come to that?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM

182 posts, read 331,932 times
Quote:
How did you come to that?
By you saying:

Quote:

Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This inequality is caused by lack of a free market economy, and not by tax policy. Raising taxes on high income individuals will not rectify the problems with the free market economy.
Let me take a wild hairy assed guess.

You're all for massive deregulation and lowering taxes on the high income people?

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,

Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
By you saying:
Fact is president Obama won with 51% of the vote. That means that 49% voted for someone else. Only a 2% difference. Shoots holes in the Welfare recipient theory.

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-05-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Don't buy into the false rhetoric of Republicans only care about the rich. It was the Bush tax cuts that made a significant number of lower income households pay nothing into the system or even turn a profit.
Specifically, it was the Bush expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit. Which ought to be repealed.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you unaware that a full 30% of income-tax eligible people not only do not pay any federal income tax, but they actually receive money FROM the federal government instead?

Source: http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef
I am sincerely interested in seeing this, but the link did not work for me. It took me to the senate finance site but said the page was not available.

I would very much like to see examples of people who pay no income tax but who receive $8000 in profits from the fed each year.

I mean, I know it (and a great deal more) happens with regards to corporate welfare, but if a regular ol' working stiff like me can avoid paying all taxes while also receiving $8000 in straight profit from the gov't, where do I sign up, why isn't this common knowledge and why aren't more people taking part in this?

PS-- there ARE taxes other than income taxes. Regardless whether or not a person pays income tax, nearly everyone in this nation pays taxes of one kind or another.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I am sincerely interested in seeing this, but the link did not work for me. It took me to the senate finance site but said the page was not available.
You should be getting a dialog box that asks if you want to open or save the pdf. It works for me.

Quote:
PS-- there ARE taxes other than income taxes. Regardless whether or not a person pays income tax, nearly everyone in this nation pays taxes of one kind or another.
Yes, many more people pay local and state taxes. And they get local and state government benefits and services, e.g. police, schools, roads, etc.

Why should the ~47% of the tax-eligible who pay local and state taxes but no federal income tax receive any federal government benefits and services? They don't contribute to the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies