Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Those who don't pay federal tax feel a responsibility to take advantage of every freebie they can and then complain that it isn't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Who the hell in this country doesn't have to pay sales taxes or property taxes (even indirectly through rent)? You can't complain about people whining about the rich people's tax burden while lying about the tax burden on the poor.
Not to mention, almost every working person has income taxes. My SIL did taxes for 35 years. She says most people owe taxes because of improper withholdings or because of non-W-2 income.

I'm retired. I receive a pension from my work as a dispatcher and SS. I get 20% withheld from my pension. I opted to have income taxes taken from my SS. My wife is still working. She didn't bother to change her withholding when we got married. So her W-4 shows Single 0 for federal. She has more withheld for state. Nebraska taxes both SS and out-state pensions.

We get a refund every year. Not everything we pay in.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:48 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot people here think the rich don't pay enough tax even they are paying majority of the income tax. A lot people want to tax the rich even more and I see numbers as high as 90% tax rate being threw around.

So what are the social responsibilities of those who don't pay taxes? What are their contributions to the society? Obviously I am not talking about those disabled people, children or retired people.
The problem with this statement is that it is predicated on an assumption that income tax is a social responsibility or even legal.

The social responsibility of all citizens is first and foremost the preservation of liberty and the personal rights that establish that liberty.

While government may need to raise funds to function, the source of those funds must be carefully scrutinized and be in accordance with the powers given the Federal Government by the people.

Income taxes are Constitutionally illegal and fundamentally immoral due to the fact that the Federal Government has no ownership in your body or the fruits of what you produce.

The Federal Government is restricted by the Constitution to raise taxes from the regulation of trade.

The Federal Income Tax Act was a power grab by the bankers who were conspiring simultaneously to create the Federal Reserve and to enslave the American people.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Who the hell in this country doesn't have to pay sales taxes or property taxes (even indirectly through rent)? You can't complain about people whining about the rich people's tax burden while lying about the tax burden on the poor.
Of course, as pointed out, by me even, it is nearly impossible to escape all taxes.

Yet, if you were honest you would admit that with such a large amount of people making a profit off of federal income taxes - many over $8,000 a year that that covers their sales taxes and etc on the year.

Just curious. Since you argue that tenets indirectly pay the landlords property taxes -- do you also argue that a company's taxes are indirectly paid for by the consumers through higher prices and through less compensation to employees?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yet, if you were honest you would admit that with such a large amount of people making a profit off of federal income taxes - many over $8,000 a year that that covers their sales taxes and etc on the year.
Who is making $8K per year in profit off of federal taxes?

Are you talking about people who receive a tax return?

Because that most certainly isn't "profit."

Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Which one? The one that is an obvious setup? The one that ignores JUST how much the poor pay in taxes while pretending that the only taxes that really matter are federal?

I mean really lets be honest, do we want to add to the burden of the poor, then give it back to them?

Basically its a stupid question. Its "hey how much should we take from those who are so desperately poor, that we will then have to give back as they cant truly afford it?"

FACT-the working poor pay more in social security taxes as a % of their income then the rich. And its a significant tax. 6.2% from their check, matched by 6.2% from their employers that would otherwise be available to them, effectively a 12.4% tax.....and for those who are in the top .1% that represents...well...a rounding error somewhere. Because that tax stopped around 112K or so. after that your income isnt taxed at all.

Or are you talking about the unemployed? those who cant find work? Or?

Its a very vague question that is framed as a "gotcha" question. Its not someone trying to find a honest topic of discussion.
While that may be true, the working poor also receive a disproportionate share of entitlement $$ returned to them when they retire. If the poor worker does not meet minimum threshold, they may also qualify for an SSI check in addition to their Social Security check plus Medicaid. The rich receive a lesser share of the taxes that they paid in because the maximum allowed SS check is only $2,500/mo or so. A poorer worker provided that he lives to retirement age has a better chance of "breaking even" or "hitting the jackpot" when retiring with SS. Throughout their lives, working poor with kids are also coddled with the earned income tax credit which reimburses $$ back to them after they file their taxes.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 AM

88,997 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So just 1% of the population hold 40% of the entire income..... Wow talk about inequality.
Sorry, that was a mistake. They PAY 40% Of the federal income tax while earning only less than 19% of the income. It's extremely foolish to depend on less than 19% of the income for nearly half of the income tax revenue. That's a big reason our country always has to run deficits and has skyrocketing national debt. Too many tax-eligible people aren't paying their fair share.

Quote:
Okay?
What don't you get about it? Over your head?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Who is making $8K per year in profit off of federal taxes?

Are you talking about people who receive a tax return?

Because that most certainly isn't "profit."
Are you unaware that a full 30% of income-tax eligible people not only do not pay any federal income tax, but they actually receive money FROM the federal government instead?

Source: http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

Last edited by InformedConsent; 01-05-2014 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Better link for the Senate report

Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 AM

To recap... In part, depending on less than 19% of the income for almost half of the federal income tax revenue + the federal government's GIVING 30% of the tax-eligible money (they get refundable tax credits) even while they pay no federal income tax at all = skyrocketing national debt

Why is it that so many of you don't see that?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
So are you saying with a straight face that the reason poor people dont pay any federal income tax is because Democrats in congress forced those little wimpy Republicans to go along with them?

Is there some type of poor people lobby?

Or maybe the real reason why poor people dont pay any federal income tax is because Republicans wanted to cut taxes on the rich and this made it more appealing for Dems to go along with them by cutting taxes on the poor too?
Don't buy into the false rhetoric of Republicans only care about the rich. It was the Bush tax cuts that made a significant number of lower income households pay nothing into the system or even turn a profit.

Both parties have lowered tax rates over the years - especially the GOP.

Fact is, I never mentioned who created the tax breaks, you are changing the topic to avoid the fact that I pointed out. It is a fact that Democrats win the votes of lower income households and high school dropouts.

Fact: Obama won the high school drop out vote by 30%. Obama won in a landslide low income votes for people in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies