Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 PM

182 posts, read 331,730 times

Advertisements

"All the Property that is necessary to a Man, for the Conservation of the Individual and the Propagation of the Species, is his natural Right, which none can justly deprive him of: But all Property superfluous to such purposes is the Property of the Publick, who, by their Laws, have created it, and who may therefore by other Laws dispose of it, whenever the Welfare of the Publick shall demand such Disposition. He that does not like civil Society on these Terms, let him retire and live among Savages. He can have no right to the benefits of Society, who will not pay his Club towards the Support of it."

-Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Lolz that's funny.

Your thread clearly talks about social responsibility, which you couldn't identify when asked, and now you are moving the goal posts to include fairness. Just give up, you're transparent.
I can certainly identify but those who advocate more taxes can't.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:04 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
People that don't pay to fund the government should not be permitted to vote. You should not be permitted to affect the dispostion of resources if you don't have any skin in the game.

No representation without taxation!!
Sooo...you're a huge fan of plutocracy then, not democracy. Noted.

Lifeexplorer:
You want to talk about "fairness" while indicating that you want everyone to pay taxes-even if what you end up taxing is the fundamental requirements for life-ie the income needed to afford shelter, food, etc. To me thats not fair, we should not tax things that people need to survive.

You want to talk about "fairness" from your definition of fair-everyone paying the same. But thats not really fair either, after all everyone gets social security as a basic guarentee, but the wealthy pay a smaller % of their income for it. To you thats fair. Everyone drives on roads, but the wealthy who own businesses, and benefit from it more then the poor in your definition of "fair" should pay the same % as everyone else, despite getting a larger benefit.

Really you want to wordsmith "fairness" to be YOUR definition of fair.

How about this, taxes are based upon your wealth, not income. That would be "fair" too.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I can certainly identify but those who advocate more taxes can't.
Name those social responsibilities then.... If you can't then say so.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sooo...you're a huge fan of plutocracy then, not democracy. Noted.

Lifeexplorer:
You want to talk about "fairness" while indicating that you want everyone to pay taxes-even if what you end up taxing is the fundamental requirements for life-ie the income needed to afford shelter, food, etc. To me thats not fair, we should not tax things that people need to survive.

You want to talk about "fairness" from your definition of fair-everyone paying the same. But thats not really fair either, after all everyone gets social security as a basic guarentee, but the wealthy pay a smaller % of their income for it. To you thats fair. Everyone drives on roads, but the wealthy who own businesses, and benefit from it more then the poor in your definition of "fair" should pay the same % as everyone else, despite getting a larger benefit.

Really you want to wordsmith "fairness" to be YOUR definition of fair.

How about this, taxes are based upon your wealth, not income. That would be "fair" too.
It would only be fair that each person's vote is counted based on how much tax the person is paying. How is it fair that I pay a million in taxes and you pay zip but somehow your vote is the same as mine?

Another alternative is to remove the income and property tax and replace them with a sales tax excluding essentials like food etc. The Fair Tax system works like that.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,871 times
A lot of military recruits come from the lowest rungs of the economic ladder. So it could be argued that what the poor contribute is more valuable than money....their children.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
A lot people here think the rich don't pay enough tax even they are paying majority of the income tax. A lot people want to tax the rich even more and I see numbers as high as 90% tax rate being threw around.

So what are the social responsibilities of those who don't pay taxes? What are their contributions to the society? Obviously I am not talking about those disabled people, children or retired people.
Zilch, zero, nada........

Not only does the recipient class suck up the most resources, they also contribute the least to society.

Drive through a ghetto sometime and look at the trash and dirt.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
It would only be fair that each person's vote is counted based on how much tax the person is paying. How is it fair that I pay a million in taxes and you pay zip but somehow your vote is the same as mine?

Another alternative is to remove the income and property tax and replace them with a sales tax excluding essentials like food etc. The Fair Tax system works like that.
So basically you also dislike democracy, and want a plutocracy. Thank goodness we live in a democracy, generally plutocracy's arent all that great. Kind of unpatriotic to say the least, but unsurprising.

Ah yes the "fair" tax system, again interesting to see what you define as fair.

So food is excluded, how about rent? Heat? electric? Water? Gas? IE the basics for life. once you do that, the "fair" tax system looks a lot like todays. Although its not intentional.

Would that apply to state taxes as well? And would that suddenly move social security into that as well? Or would that be "unfair"?

Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
They have the same as everyone else.

Expected reply: "But they don't, they don't pay taxes!"

My reply: Yes, they do. They pay sales taxes, property taxes (if they own property), payroll taxes, fees, and more. There should be no obligation to pay tax on income you need to get buy. So, everyone's social responsibility is to pay tax on income above what is needed to pay for basic necessities.

why do some people believe that renters magically escae paying property taxes? If that is the case, why not have a special tax just on rental property? You could cut homeowners' property taxes in half and it wouldn't cost renters anything.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,014 times
Quote:
A lot people here think the rich don't pay enough tax even they are paying majority of the income tax. A lot people want to tax the rich even more and I see numbers as high as 90% tax rate being threw around.

So what are the social responsibilities of those who don't pay taxes? What are their contributions to the society? Obviously I am not talking about those disabled people, children or retired people.
Those that don't pay taxes? You mean those large corporations that should pay for infrastructure maintenance and new construction, they should pay for all schools and teachers, they should pay for police and fire needs.... those freeloaders, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies