Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It is still cheaper than having a policy through the exchange fine included.
So you say.

My policy was pretty cheap, though, with a low deductible and a low cap. Since I was able and willing to shop around, checking out both the website and the open market, I feel pretty confident that I got the best deal. It doesn't sound like you were open to the options on the website (given your comments about those that did purchase through the website, which are very insulting), so while I hope you got the best deal possible, even when you have to pay 1% of your income as a penalty, I think best deals generally come from evaluating all the options available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The IRS is going to have it's hands full with people that don't have any plans and have to pay.
How is the IRS going to check every single return to make sure every tax payer has the "right" type of insurance.

ROFLMAO if you think the IRS can pull that off in 2015.
The insurance companies will provide you with the verification code that shows that your plan meets the bronze-level minimum insurance benefits. You will include that verification code when you file.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you say.

My policy was pretty cheap, though, with a low deductible and a low cap. Since I was able and willing to shop around, checking out both the website and the open market, I feel pretty confident that I got the best deal. It doesn't sound like you were open to the options on the website (given your comments about those that did purchase through the website, which are very insulting), so while I hope you got the best deal possible, even when you have to pay 1% of your income as a penalty, I think best deals generally come from evaluating all the options available.
So I know. I don't need a maternity plan or contraception or any of those other mandatory items I don't desire to pay for. And now I don't.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The insurance companies will provide you with the verification code that shows that your plan meets the bronze-level minimum insurance benefits. You will include that verification code when you file.
I will make some crap up. 9 times out of ten they don't even check.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
I won't get any "code". I'm in a grandfathered plan.
"Kids" up to 26 not included..22 instead and only if in college.
No maternity, no newborn, no newborn dental and no newborn vision.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I will make some crap up. 9 times out of ten they don't even check.
Why?

I thought you were proud of what you'd done. Why try to hide it?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Why?

I thought you were proud of what you'd done. Why try to hide it?
I am proud of what I have done. But my money is still my money.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I am proud of what I have done. But my money is still my money.
You have to do what you have to do. But personally, if I choose to break the law over principle, I see it as a matter of principle to be open about breaking that law. Because to me, it has no value as a form of protest unless it's done openly. That said, that's just me. You have to do what you have to do.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Yes, she went to the website because she was stupid.

She wasn't told that she had to cancel through the website. She was only told that she had to cancel the existing policy. She decided she had to cancel through the website. She demanded that the website do something it isn't equipped to do. Because the website functions like Amazon, it's a marketplace. And she bought insurance from a private company, and the OBVIOUS and STRAIGHTFORWARD thing to do when you want to cancel insurance from a private company is to contact that private company. Something she neglected to do. She was stupid, and you want to blame her stupidity on a website. I think that's irrational. Because it IS irrational.

Just because you hate the ACA doesn't mean that everything is the fault of the ACA.

Stupid people aren't the fault of the ACA.

Since she did eventually manage to terminate through the website, it must be equipped to do it ---

"Fortunately for her, she said the insurance company was helpful, and worked through the federal help line with her until finally reaching someone who, despite not being pleasant about it, said the plan would be discontinued. She later confirmed it was."

I've never been to the website. It apparently has a 'terminate' button, which would lead normal, non-stupid people to believe you can, guess what --- terminate using the website.

Per the story, she began her effort to terminate Before she made a payment. Why would she think a prospective insurer rather than the website was the place to go. The story doesn't name the exchange insurer she signed up for. It doesn't sound like any of the ACA's expert workers told her to contact that insurer.

You're right --- Stupid people aren't the fault of the ACA. But The ACA is the fault of stupid people.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You have to do what you have to do. But personally, if I choose to break the law over principle, I see it as a matter of principle to be open about breaking that law. Because to me, it has no value as a form of protest unless it's done openly. That said, that's just me. You have to do what you have to do.
I am all for repealing this moronic law that has created massive problems. Defund it at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies