Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why?
It's one of those "because because BECAUSE" things. You won't get a rational answer because there isn't one.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I took my husbands name, it wasn't even something I thought about. BUT I ditched my given middle name and replaced it with my maiden name. I'm keeping is after divorce too (kids, longevity, etc) I hate hyphens, don't think hyphens should be bestowed upon children (think about it...)and maintaining a customer date base with crazy long hyphenated names that only sometimes get used that way (and also get used singularly, depending on the mood of the customer) is a PITA.
People really do need to pick a name and stick to it, or hear me complain. THAT'S the only reason I care what anyone does. Those always seem to be the people who get annoyed when I don't have their name right, even though what they are telling me isn't the same as what's on their credit card. Or when I'm looking something up for them and we have to work through 3-4 variations of their name before being able to find them.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
My wife kept her name. In her country it is very common as well as the guy to take the wife's last name. No big deal.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:22 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most of my family is, actually. I don't share their name, though.
Its quite common here (south) to be judged by your family name. Who's your daddy is taken literally. So in a sense it is a big part of your identity or how others identify with you.

Awhile back I was pulled over by the local cops. He was particularly focused on the last name of my DL and was running a check on me because of it. My ex's surname has a bit of a reputation in this town and he was trying to figure out which one of them I might be. I found this out because my brother is also a cop and heard it over the police radio and explained to the other officer that I was his sister and that was an old married name.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM

421 posts, read 676,795 times
I actually think it is good for women to go by their maiden name. It conveys confidence and authority. Don't get me wrong, if they wish to do otherwise that is fine, but I wish more people would see things from a feminist perspective.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I actually think it is good for women to go by their maiden name. It conveys confidence and authority. Don't get me wrong, if they wish to do otherwise that is fine, but I wish more people would see things from a feminist perspective.
It's not even necessarily a feminist perspective.... but an individual one. I mean, if I were to get married (and I definitely don't see that happening) I'd be extremely hesitant about changing my name. I mean, my college degrees, scholarship awards, business cards and entire career history is in my name so changing that could hurt a lot of things for me.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its quite common here (south) to be judged by your family name. Who's your daddy is taken literally. So in a sense it is a big part of your identity or how others identify with you.

Awhile back I was pulled over by the local cops. He was particularly focused on the last name of my DL and was running a check on me because of it. My ex's surname has a bit of a reputation in this town and he was trying to figure out which one of them I might be. I found this out because my brother is also a cop and heard it over the police radio and explained to the other officer that I was his sister and that was an old married name.
Hah, that's not the south, that's small towns anywhere. I grew up in one well north of the Mason-Dixon where similar crap goes down.

As it is, I live hundreds of miles from anybody related to me. Kind of a nonissue, regardless of my name. Unless you are the type who lives in your hometown area all your life, or are a wealthy socialite, issues arising from "your family being known" are pretty much nonexistent.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
I took my husband's surname as my own, but I love my unusual maiden name, so I continue to use it as my middle name (no hyphen).

Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I would have considered doing that, if my maiden name were anything other than mindnumbingly generic.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,194,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Because that's what is attractive about women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies