Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,646 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in it as in my opinion it being a tradition is not enough of a reason for me to give up my name in sake of his. I find the aspect of giving up one's name to be degrading and if it wasn't then in my opinion then it wouldn't be seeminlgy common to insult/belittle guys that take their gals name.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The irony is that it's actually another man's last name these women are clinging onto -- their father's last name.
Likely they're not seeing that irony because they don't see it as another man's last name but their own last name. Though your statement does suggest to me that a gal can't even own her own name without complete dismissal of males and creating a new one for herself.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
YES She should take his name. You are the same household- why would there be two different names?! Talk about confusion including embarrassing your kids.
In regards to "she should take his name" I don't see that as he could take her name, they could hyphenate their names, or create a new name altogether for both of them to change if having the same name is of such importance to confusion and embarrassment.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
It's interesting how many women say they would change their name for superficial reasons: their last name is too long, hard to say, or not exotic enough.

I have always considered my last name to be a part of who I am - an identity of sorts. My last name is often mispronounced, misspelled, and not really fancy, but I would never give it up for those reasons.

I wonder what it is that makes some people care and others not?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM

723 posts, read 869,060 times
well you've gotta pick one, or what happens, every generation of kids adds 2 extra names to their surname?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 PM

527 posts, read 600,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
It's interesting how many women say they would change their name for superficial reasons: their last name is too long, hard to say, or not exotic enough.

I have always considered my last name to be a part of who I am - an identity of sorts. My last name is often mispronounced, misspelled, and not really fancy, but I would never give it up for those reasons.

I wonder what it is that makes some people care and others not?

I'm somewhat interested in that question, but I'm even more interested in the question of what makes some people care about what other people do with their last names.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
It is a shame that because of the tradition (yes, I realize it is going back hundreds of years) many women who might want a last name that is a connection to their female ancestors are really still male names, because the women's names were lost. In many other cultures, especially those that are matriarchal, the girls in the family keep the mother's name and the boys keep the father's. Nothing wrong or "confusing" about it.

The reason I care about it - besides the fact that I didn't bother to change my name when I was married - is that I'm also adopted, so I don't feel a connection to my last name anyway. I have considered changing it for many years.

Also, I do think there are some surnames that need to be retired, which could easily be accomplished by men taking their wives names. Butts, Hogg, and Fagg spring to mind

Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post

I have always considered my last name to be a part of who I am - an identity of sorts.
You evidently don't have one of the most common last names in the world, like I did before I got married. When your last name is ultra common, it's not really something that your identity gets tied up around. At least, not in my case. It's a rather generic surname.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:25 AM

416 posts, read 871,735 times
Whenever I do end up getting married, I don't care if my future wife takes my last name, hyphenates her name and my last name, or keeps her own.

Doesn't matter to me.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times
It's not for me to say what others "should" do or not do.
I can only speak for what feels right for my own life.

I was married, and did not take on my husband's surname.
I like my last name, and had no desire to give that up (still don't, if ever I were to wed again).
When we got divorced, I was spared the hassle of needing to change my name back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies