Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I understand, LGBT in any flavor (basically anybody who is not a cisgender heterosexual) is about 3-5% of the population. Of that population, about 93% are cisgender, and not all of the 7% is completely transgender. So maybe about 3-4% of that population is completely transgender, putting the population at about 1 in 500.

That might be 1-2 boys in every high school.
I get that the number is small. I just don't agree with the law.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I get that the number is small. I just don't agree with the law.
You don't have to agree with it. It won't anything so you can just file it away with everything else that doesn't matter.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why does something have to harm someone personally for liberals to consider it to be wrong?
Why aren't conservatives (at least the ones like you) more consistent in their beliefs regarding personal freedoms? One minute it's "Americans should be free to say/do what they want, provided they're not hurting anyone - NO NANNY LAWS!" Then you're asking why a harmless softball team decision should be allowed? Make up your minds, lol.

P.S. Something being "wrong" isn't the same as believing something shouldn't be allowed. I think Miley Cyrus is all sorts of wrong, but do I think she should be imprisoned or suppressed? Uh, no.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
If it's not such a big deal, why doesn't it just continue to play on the team of it's assigned gender, not the fairy tale fantasies they have on the gender it wants to be?

I'm going to get into work early tomorrow and have my shoes off with my feet on my boss' desk. When he asks me if I lost my f'n mind, I'll simply tell him in my mind, I'm the boss. He has to comply with my fantasy land or be labeled a bigot. Heck, maybe if his wife comes into the office, I'll cop myself a nice feel.....hey, it didn't 'really hurt anyone'. And in my mind, she's mine anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
We had this discussion some 30-40 years ago when Renee Richards, a transgendered tennis player, petitioned to compete as a woman. Boy did everybody whoop and holler that Richards was going to have an unfair advantage. Didn't happen, not at all. And Richards was able to play competitive tennis, but she wasn't able to beat the likes of Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, or Martina Navratilova to win major titles.

The world isn't going to end. Get a grip, folks.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
If it's not such a big deal, why doesn't it just continue to play on the team of it's assigned gender, not the fairy tale fantasies they have on the gender it wants to be?

I'm going to get into work early tomorrow and have my shoes off with my feet on my boss' desk. When he asks me if I lost my f'n mind, I'll simply tell him in my mind, I'm the boss. He has to comply with my fantasy land or be labeled a bigot. Heck, maybe if his wife comes into the office, I'll cop myself a nice feel.....hey, it didn't 'really hurt anyone'. And in my mind, she's mine anyways.
I have changed my mind on this issue over the years, maybe you will too. I've just reached a point where I get that I don't know it all and that there are things out there that I'll never understand.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
We are talking about a boy playing against girls.

You don't see how that gives Azusa High School an unfair advantage?
Nope. Happens in field hockey all the time. Title IX works both ways. Deal with it. This is the last thing the feminists expected when they helped pass this law in 1972. Now the law will take away a spot for a girl. How ironic...

Last edited by thenewtexan; 02-25-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You don't have to agree with it. It won't anything so you can just file it away with everything else that doesn't matter.
I will file it away because it won't affect me or my children. I don't live in California, and somehow I doubt Texas will be doing something like this in the near future. I just feel this law will cause some girls to not get a place on a team to make room for the current political cause du jour, or because that transgender kid is tall or fast. But, it's no skin off my back one way or the other. I was just noting my reasons for disliking the law.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,329 times
Quote:
Harrier does not want to prevent him from playing a sport.

If he thinks that there is enough interest for a boys softball team then he can work at starting an intramural team.

He has an unfair advantage over the girls being that he is a male.

Some of the newspapers have been referring to the boy as "she".

Absolutely ridiculous.
There is no unfair advantage. The person is not playing with the girls to get ahead, but rather due to being transgender. Geez, give the kid a break.

This is like being jealous that a person who can't physically walk gets to "enjoy" sitting down in a wheelchair in a venue where everyone else is forced to remain standing, and that it's unfair other people want to sit down and he's cheating.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
If (s)he has a strong arm that school might be state champions for the next couple of years.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
There is no unfair advantage. The person is not playing with the girls to get ahead, but rather due to being transgender. Geez, give the kid a break.

This is like being jealous that a person who can't physically walk gets to "enjoy" sitting down in a wheelchair in a venue where everyone else is forced to remain standing, and that it's unfair other people want to sit down and he's cheating.
A person who needs a wheelchair has an actual problem that requires the use of such a tool.

Thinking that one is "transgendered" is confusion and should not be supported.

Time was when parents and teachers taught kids right from wrong, including that there are clear differences between genders, and that one is either male or female.

Then liberalism happened and the craziness started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies