Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're trying to turn this into a parental responsibility issue when it's not. The school lunch program has existed in some form since the 1940s. A lot of posters on here have eaten school lunches themselves, and bought school lunches for their kids. There have always been nutrition guidelines for the school lunches.

Furthermore, though though this is Michelle Obama's pet issue, she did not make these changes.

This was written in 1971, gives you an idea of the long-standing nature of the school lunch program. I would suggest actually reading it.
Background and Development | Food and Nutrition Service
If a child goes to school hungry, it's the teachers fault....what the hell kind of thinking is that?...

It is 100% a parental responsibility to take care of that child, just as you stated your parents did, your parents did not lean on the school to feed you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
It's simple: let the parents feed them. Or not.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
^^Oh, come on! This comment, and this whole conversation, shows how the RW just hates Michelle Obama. If Michelle's "cause" were literacy, the RW crowd would be saying the same thing, e.g. literacy is none of her business, who is she to tell people to read, and anyway, she's fat, with lousy arms, blah, blah, blah!
What was Mrs. Obama's social cause before she became First Lady ?

Laura Bush was active in the literacy cause before becoming First Lady.
She used her position to further the cause and make it national.
She continued her cause after leaving the WH.

Mrs. Obama has latched on to food, exercise and obesity.
Did she champion this before her husband became President ?
Does she practice what she preaches ?

This is similar to Nancy Reagan and her "Just Say No" campaign as First Lady.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
If a child goes to school hungry, it's the teachers fault....what the hell kind of thinking is that?...

It is 100% a parental responsibility to take care of that child, just as you stated your parents did, your parents did not lean on the school to feed you.....
Feeding a child is now the responsibility of the government.
And when SNAP isn't used to feed them we don't hold the parents responsible.
We bring the food to school now..breakfast, lunch, snack/dinner, bags of food to take home on Friday and the summer food programs in the schools.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Feeding a child is now the responsibility of the government.
And when SNAP isn't used to feed them we don't hold the parents responsible.
We bring the food to school now..breakfast, lunch, snack/dinner, bags of food to take home on Friday and the summer food programs in the schools.
I guess that is great for parents who want no parental responsibility...

Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I guess that is great for parents who want no parental responsibility...
Even when school is delayed for 2 hours (snow/ice) breakfast is not cancelled.
First and second period of classes are cancelled but not breakfast.

See where our priorities lie ?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

Who said that it was the teacher's fault if the child goes to school hungry? Not me.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What was Mrs. Obama's social cause before she became First Lady ?

Laura Bush was active in the literacy cause before becoming First Lady.
She used her position to further the cause and make it national.
She continued her cause after leaving the WH.

Mrs. Obama has latched on to food, exercise and obesity.
Did she champion this before her husband became President ?
Does she practice what she preaches ?

This is similar to Nancy Reagan and her "Just Say No" campaign as First Lady.
LB was active in literacy as first lady of TX, I believe. Most all first ladies have a "cause" these days, though I'd be hard put to tell you Pat Nixon's or Hillary Clinton's.

The statement in bold is factually incorrect. Laura didn't "discover" literacy, in fact her MIL championed literacy as well. Literacy has been a big issue for years, supported by many people in addition to Laura Bush. What is LB doing these days about literacy, especially at a national level?

Reading Is Fundamental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RIF has been around since 1966. Laura was still in college at the time. She didn't get her MLS until 1973.

I don't know when Michelle Obama developed her interest in childhood obesity and nutrition. She didn't have a very public position until her husband was a US senator. She did work as a lawyer for a hospital system. She seems to practice what she preaches, though the press is very good about "catching" her when she's eating fries.

Good grief, some conservatives seem to think that being concerned about childhood obesity/nutrition is akin to championing kids doing drugs or something.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
If I was a drug dealer I'd make a switch and I'd be dealing candy, cake and/or soda out of my locker.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Who said that it was the teacher's fault if the child goes to school hungry? Not me.
You need to go back and reread this entire thread.....

Many have said this, because the child is hungry and not fed at the house, the teachers scores will be bad and get a bad report......

In the end, it's the parents responsibility to feed their child...not the schools.

Yes, I also had school lunch, way back in the early 70's....however, I still paid for it...lunch only....no breakfast....no after school snacks...

But guess what, my parents ensured that I was fed before school and after school, if I did not like the school lunch they were serving, I asked my PARENTS to make me a bag lunch....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies