Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
The left wing has the GI bill, the new deal, social security. What about the right wing?
Let me see.....
Social Security - started out as a ponzi scheme - who knew they would live past 65, right?

GI bill - it is the least we can do after we drafted our men into hell on earth.

The new deal - I have so many mixed feelings about this one. Too long to get into but
in 1932 twenty five percent of Americans were unemployed. There was the dust bowl.
We had to do something. But should it have been temporary or did it cement the
government control over the populace.

The best thing that I think that came out of it was our Nat'l Park system.

Now, the right wing,

They gave us Abe Lincoln who emancipated the slaves.
Opened the doors for trade with China (Nixon)
Ended the Vietnam War that the Democrats started (Nixon)
Ended the draft (Nixon)

Nixon also started Title 10 Family planning program which included planned parenthood and health care
to poor people not eligible for Medicaid.

If he just didn't get caught for "what was that again".....
I wasn't old enough to vote, but he doesn't sound all that bad.
Except he killed the gold standard - bad.

The middle wing (Libertarian Party)
Gave me peace of mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I do not believe you were ever a Republican.
Then you're petulantly insisting on living in delusion. Not only was I a Republican, but I actually worked on Jack Kemp's campaign for Senate. What's really funny is how often I'm "accused" of being a Republican by left-wingers, especially in discussions about what is and is not a monopoly, matters relating to consumer purchase agreements and terms and conditions, and matters of immigration reform.

Quote:
Funny how the most left on this board generally try to claim they were once Republicans even though every position they sound off on are and never have been the Republican viewpoint.
Funny how you double-down on your self-deception by first spewing nonsense about something you actually no means of actually knowing (my political party registration from years past), and then trying to underscore your vacuous point with an inane bit of partisan claptrap.

Quote:
Again, you view the Republicans that way because you are viewing it through the lens of extremism.
I'm viewing Republicans through the lens of its party platform and the actions of its caucuses in Congress.

Quote:
I view Republicans policies as ones which benefit all comers, enable small businesses to thrive, and enable the free market to create conditions so everyone can succeed.
In other words, you cloud your vision with Pollyanna-like selective memory of the reality of the GOP today.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Then you're petulantly insisting on living in delusion. Not only was I a Republican, but I actually worked on Jack Kemp's campaign for Senate.

Funny how you double-down on your self-deception by first spewing nonsense about something you actually no means of actually knowing, and then trying to underscore your vacuous point with an inane bit of partisan claptrap.

I'm viewing Republicans through the lens of its party platform and the actions of its caucuses in Congress.

In other words, you cloud your vision with Pollyanna-like selective memory of the reality of the GOP today.
If you're going to utilize childish insults, I'm done with you. I've made my point. Find someone else to sling mud at.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
If you're going to utilize childish insults,
There was nothing childish about my comment, and my derision was directed precisely where it belonged, at comments that were indefensible on the face of them.

Quote:
I'm done with you.
Yeah, right.

Quote:
I've made my point.
The point you've made is that you'll try to hinge your argument on details of my personal history that no reasonable person would believe you actually have reason to know.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Huh? The Constitution was the most progressive article created of its time. And no, the Constitution as it stands today is not right wing policy. Nor is it left.
Limiting the government the way they meant it is definitely not left wing. It is definitely not what we call progressive today.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM

594 posts, read 346,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
The left wing has the GI bill, the new deal, social security. What about the right wing?

You realize that the kkk is a right-wing group, created by democrats. so when you say "right-wing" you need to be more clear in the point you are trying to make.

If you are asking what Conservatives have given us, they gave us the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution

Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post

If you are asking what Conservatives have given us, they gave us the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution
Madison, Jefferson, Mason, to name a few and they called themselves Democratic Republicans

"It really is an assembly of demigods. - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Madison, Jefferson, Mason, to name a few and they called themselves Democratic Republicans

"It really is an assembly of demigods. - Thomas Jefferson
Yes, and they designed a "limited government" preferring power in the states versus the federal government.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times
If the government in question was a monarchy, like the British monarchy we emancipated from, then limiting its powers is definitely a far left wing proposition lol

I hope You realize that the government our Founding Fathers were talking about was a monarchy as there were no other governments in Europe at that time, and the American Revolution specifically fought the British monarchy. The founding fathers did not talk about a democratically elected governments as they did not exist anywhere in the world at that time. Yes, they wanted to limit the government but they meant the oppressive, absolutist regime of the British Empire.
Again, our constitution was extremely progressive ( unless you believe that rejecting monarchy is a conservative stance, lol) but in the same time somewhat less relevant in the political landscape of XXI century when we chose our own government in free elections and there is no threat from any monarchies to take over our "young" Republic. Furthermore, treating your own, democratically elected government as foreign and aggressive entity is simply silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Limiting the government the way they meant it is definitely not left wing. It is definitely not what we call progressive today.

Last edited by Rapaport; 05-02-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times
Ok. Don't look up public assistance, look up poverty rates and you'll find correlation between low taxes and high level of poverty in many southern us states. Again, the point to prove is that low taxing states have higher levels of poverty than higher taxing states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
So is it the right wing policy that failed, we'll say in Alabama because your point about WV was debunked, or is it that the left wing public perpetuates itself? I'm sure you've looked into the data to analyze that rather than just assuming something based on statewide voting patterns like you erroneously tried with WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies