Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
The left wing has the GI bill, the new deal, social security. What about the right wing?
I say the continuing free market versus picking of winner that has sustained the economy thru the last decades of wealth sharing that have resulted I so many losers. One only has to look at the success of our oil and gas industry. despite a lack of a energy policy and opposition at evry corner that continues with Obama liberals we are near to what ev3ery president since carter has declared as goal. Energry independence. from foreign unstable sources. It in fact is the real hope in resurgence of on American manufacturing. Even looking at what OP pointed out ;who financed those wants; American free market system as always. Remember US is still the largest economy in the world despite efforts to turn it into one big rust belt of increasing dependence on others.One only has to look at what democrats have done; become the middleman of wealth to ever growing numbers of dependent people. Then look where they always look to finance it; the producers in ever higher taxes. But like Greece they have taxed and borrowed to point that the tax and spend worm has started to turn on them in the object of unsustainable spending on just programs Op has pointed out as their successes. As far as GI bill if true then they need to write Obama and liberals as they want to make cut in veterans benefits. I think veterans know who supported them in combat and when they got home from serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM

811 posts, read 810,598 times
Tricky Dicky Nixon resigned
but that was 4 decades ago

Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Republican != Right Wing. Well, at least didn't used to.

Unfortunately there are some things that the private sector cannot and will not provide. Basic infrastructure is one of those things. The capital costs are too high and the return is through the economic activity it enables. Heck, we have the best freight rail system in the world because the Federal Government GAVE the right-of-ways to the railroads. Just imagine the regional passenger rail system this country would have if we'd done the same today.

In France and Japan the government builds the roads and the trains are run by private operators like airlines. Governments in Africa are doing the same with 4G networks and internet. While here in the US we're passing laws to prohibit local governments from building their own broadband networks.
There is a full spectrum of the right wing, as there is with the left. Many people want to negate past Republican accomplishments and declare them not right wing. That is incorrect. That are not extreme right wing but that does not mean they are any less right wing or Republican. There is this meme on this board that Republican automatically equals extreme right wing. The truth, as always, is quite a bit less monolithic.

As to infrastructure. I guess the first thing would be to agree upon what is basic infrastructure. I do not think that fiber and/or rail are basic infrastructure. The right of way given was enough, in my opinion. It was then to the private sector to expand upon that. I am hesitant to compare our country to those in Europe on this issue because we our basic geography and size is so different than European countries that I feel it is disingenuous to compare the two. On another note, I am not sure why the left has a love affair with passenger rail. I think it's an option, yes, but I do not hold enough regard for it to spend huge amounts of taxpayer money on it.

If you want an example of how private sector can get it right and yet still provide over a large area, just look to the Internet. They took what was a very small investment by the government and made it work. They did this because they created a product the market wanted. It's a free market dream, really. Of course, now we're getting government interference in the Internet. Remains to be seen what happens then.

I do believe basic infrastructure includes roads and bridges. On a municipal scale, I think basic infrastructure include water, sewer, and power.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:27 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
I can't swallow the argument that the right wing supports infrastructure in this country, when engineer surveys are repeatedly showing we have a third world type crumbling system, and they refuse to pay to have it repaired and updated.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
I liked the Bush tax cuts.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There is a full spectrum of the right wing, as there is with the left. Many people want to negate past Republican accomplishments and declare them not right wing. That is incorrect. That are not extreme right wing but that does not mean they are any less right wing or Republican. There is this meme on this board that Republican automatically equals extreme right wing. The truth, as always, is quite a bit less monolithic.

As to infrastructure. I guess the first thing would be to agree upon what is basic infrastructure. I do not think that fiber and/or rail are basic infrastructure. The right of way given was enough, in my opinion. It was then to the private sector to expand upon that. I am hesitant to compare our country to those in Europe on this issue because we our basic geography and size is so different than European countries that I feel it is disingenuous to compare the two. On another note, I am not sure why the left has a love affair with passenger rail. I think it's an option, yes, but I do not hold enough regard for it to spend huge amounts of taxpayer money on it.

If you want an example of how private sector can get it right and yet still provide over a large area, just look to the Internet. They took what was a very small investment by the government and made it work. They did this because they created a product the market wanted. It's a free market dream, really. Of course, now we're getting government interference in the Internet. Remains to be seen what happens then.

I do believe basic infrastructure includes roads and bridges. On a municipal scale, I think basic infrastructure include water, sewer, and power.
Actually in the past both parties were more progressive.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Actually in the past both parties were more progressive.
I think that's a matter of debate because if we're talking about modern day progressive, as represented by many of the Democrats today, I would give a resounding no. However, if you're talking about progressive in terms of making progress as to improve this country and not in modern day political terms, I might agree. These days, the primary political goal of both parties is to oppose the other as seen with Reid's inability to bring bills to vote and Cruz's decision to make a name for himself by grandstanding on the shutdown issue. Once upon a time, our political leaders has the ability to put aside differences when it mattered and do what's right for this country. That seems to be in short supply these days and that is a truly bi-partisan issue.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
I think that's a matter of debate because if we're talking about modern day progressive, as represented by many of the Democrats today, I would give a resounding no. However, if you're talking about progressive in terms of making progress as to improve this country and not in modern day political terms, I might agree. These days, the primary political goal of both parties is to oppose the other as seen with Reid's inability to bring bills to vote and Cruz's decision to make a name for himself by grandstanding on the shutdown issue. Once upon a time, our political leaders has the ability to put aside differences when it mattered and do what's right for this country. That seems to be in short supply these days and that is a truly bi-partisan issue.
Obamacare proves the democratic party in now centralist. Then look at this guy Theodore Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Well I thought this thread would be a list of Republican accomplishments, like ending Jim Crow, the interstate highway system, ending the cold war, welfare reform, etc.
The problem you face is that most of the people who led those accomplishments would be condemned by today's Republicans as RINOs. By becoming this fringe extremist group, the GOP has lost its ability to celebrate that they were once led by great people like Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Obamacare proves the democratic party in now centralist. Then look at this guy Theodore Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I disagree that Obamacare proves that. Yet, if you're cherry picking, their support of cap and trade, gay marriage, and unions are solidly leftist positions and not centrist ones. Please note that while the Heritage Foundation first introduced the idea of a mandated health insurance, that is not a right wing philosophical position. The right wing, as has been noted several times, is one that supports free market solutions vice government mandated ones. The Heritage Foundation is not the end all be all for the right wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies