Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,560 times

Advertisements

I'm disabled and on SSI. I managed to find a small job to actually make myself useful and at this point I feel like I'm actively being punished for it. : offmychest

Why does the system stomp people for trying to get ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
Well, yeah. Welfare throws crumbs at people which just makes them stay on welfare lest they lose those crumbs and starve to death.

Unfortunately, the political debate has become keep welfare programs vs. get rid of welfare programs when it should be about how we can make welfare programs actually encourage people to become self-sufficient.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
Default How Do I Get on Welfare?

Quote:
Well, yeah. Welfare throws crumbs at people which just makes them stay on welfare lest they lose those crumbs and starve to death.
Crumbs?

Plenty of people live comfortably enough off welfare. Most welfare recipients are lifetime recipients. It's not hard to set yourself up for lifetime assistance if you are disabled or pregnant every year or two. WIC usually lasts for 5 years. The more kids you have, the more you're rewarded. The less you try, the more you're rewarded.

I'm not sure why we do it this way, but as long as we do, I'm going to enjoy it. Don't you want to enjoy life as well?
[url=http://howdoigetonwelfare.com/]How do I get on Welfare?[/url]

Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDoIGetOnWelfare View Post
Crumbs?

Plenty of people live comfortably enough off welfare. Most welfare recipients are lifetime recipients. It's not hard to set yourself up for lifetime assistance if you are disabled or pregnant every year or two. WIC usually lasts for 5 years. The more kids you have, the more you're rewarded. The less you try, the more you're rewarded.

I'm not sure why we do it this way, but as long as we do, I'm going to enjoy it. Don't you want to enjoy life as well?
How do I get on Welfare?
As always, I have a problem with inserting morality into economic legislation. Welfare is strictly an economic (and societal) stablizer. It is not intended to "reward" or "punish" anyone.

Why the hell do you want to go on welfare to begin with? Are you seriously jealous of welfare recipients?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Welfare can be changed if its voters wish. Disability should be no meaningful work standard once again. The Op cam always do volunteer work to feel better about him/herself.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Crumbs?

How do I get on Welfare?

??? Show me someone who lives comfortably on SSI.(max $721 per month).

Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Show me someone who lives comfortably on SSI.(max $721 per month).
My friend does OK.

Her heat is paid out of other programs......HUD repaired her home....she get medical....and food stamps.

She is sure not well off......but, OK.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Plenty of people live comfortably enough off welfare. Most welfare recipients are lifetime recipients.[/url]
Only if your lifetime is 5 years. Thats the limit for how long you can receive it. But hey details right?

Yes I know people living off social security, they don't have what I would call a great life. not even remotely.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Only if your lifetime is 5 years. Thats the limit for how long you can receive it. But hey details right?

Yes I know people living off social security, they don't have what I would call a great life. not even remotely.
Depends on the state your in, some states someone on the dole can get around 60k a year worth of benefits.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

Unfortunately, the political debate has become keep welfare programs vs. get rid of welfare programs when it should be about how we can make welfare programs actually encourage people to become self-sufficient.

They're not "crumbs" in NY. Not by a long shot. As a matter of fact, thanks to the largesse of taxpayers, NY has a passel of "benefits" that, it's been calculated, amounts to close to $60K annually.

When it pays more to stay on welfare, welfare's paying too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies