Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Show me someone who lives comfortably on SSI.(max $721 per month).

Again, let's talk about Social Security disability, not SSI.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed how much more I'd get per month over my regular SS benefit if, according to those annual estimates from the SSA, I were on disability. Then, after two years, I'd be on Medicare (but let's continue to blame seniors for that quagmire).

Disability is the new cottage industry in this country, with attorneys willing to "fight" for your benefit, and organizations (like the PCG) whose mission it is to push as many citizens possible from welfare to disability. The states love that last part because the feds pick up the tab. Acquire the infirmities that most do as they age and, voila!, you're deemed "disabled" while many of your neighbors, BTW, continue to drag themselves to work on a daily basis.

Disability ain't what it used to be. Many are ripping off the system and taxpayers, while they curiously remain able to do everything but work. Nice country, this America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Try being a middle class, you make too much money to get help but too little to be able to get ahead. And then watch some slob sitting around living better than you. We see it all the time. They are called working poor.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Depends on the state your in, some states someone on the dole can get around 60k a year worth of benefits.

Wrong wrong read up before shooting your mouth off. No we're in this country do you get $60,000 in welfare ou must be thinking of la la land.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Wrong wrong read up before shooting your mouth off. No we're in this country do you get $60,000 in welfare ou must be thinking of la la land.
Not cash, its the total value in benefits you can get if you fall into VERY specific categories. Its an interesting cherry picked dataset that does show some of the issues.

IE housing, child care, wic, etc etc etc

Old 05-22-2014, 07:44 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDoIGetOnWelfare View Post
Crumbs?

Plenty of people live comfortably enough off welfare. Most welfare recipients are lifetime recipients.
You're wrong on all counts. The welfare website says 90% of people on welfare are off of it in five years and when I volunteered to do some social work with people on welfare I can tell you it sure as hell isn't comfortable.

This would be yet another example of right wing nutjobs saying things which are completely untrue and not founded upon facts or reality.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You're wrong on all counts. The welfare website says 90% of people on welfare are off of it in five years and when I volunteered to do some social work with people on welfare I can tell you it sure as hell isn't comfortable.

This would be yet another example of right wing nutjobs saying things which are completely untrue and not founded upon facts or reality.

Before welfare reform, there were three significant types of welfare recipients, with the 'middle' group serving to provide fodder for those who like to spin statistics.

1) long-term recipients who remain on the program for multiple years - consuming a large portion of total tax dollars

2) recipients who cycle on and off welfare with multiple short-term episodes of dependency - consuming a significant portion of total tax dollars (e.g. might be on welfare for six months at a time, eight different times)

3) short-term recipients who receive welfare for a few months before becoming and remaining self-sufficient - consuming a small portion of total tax dollars

It's the second group that makes it possible to imply that people don't stay on welfare as long as they do over their lifetimes.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Again, let's talk about Social Security disability, not SSI.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed how much more I'd get per month over my regular SS benefit if, according to those annual estimates from the SSA, I were on disability. Then, after two years, I'd be on Medicare (but let's continue to blame seniors for that quagmire).

Disability is the new cottage industry in this country, with attorneys willing to "fight" for your benefit, and organizations (like the PCG) whose mission it is to push as many citizens possible from welfare to disability. The states love that last part because the feds pick up the tab. Acquire the infirmities that most do as they age and, voila!, you're deemed "disabled" while many of your neighbors, BTW, continue to drag themselves to work on a daily basis.

Disability ain't what it used to be. Many are ripping off the system and taxpayers, while they curiously remain able to do everything but work. Nice country, this America.

I don't know how the benefits are calculated, but I do know that if someone is on disability when they reach their standard (for SS) retirement age, their monthly disability benefit converts to a retirement benefit without changing in dollar amount.

How then does SS disability pay more than SS retirement?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM

542 posts, read 692,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
People need to understand something about numbers. 10 or 11 million might sound like a large number but consider this. There are 340 miilion Americans living in this nation , so, for every 34 or 33 American people there is only one disabled person and in a crowd of 100 average Americans there would only be 3 such people. In fact in such a crowd they would be lost in the crowd. Don't you think that such numbers are within our nations ability to care for them?
Actually the situation is more dire than that. If you include Social Security as a whole and not just SSDI, there's about 3 workers : 1 beneficiary ratio. By 2030, they predict 2.2 : 1 ratio. (In 1960 it had been about a 5:1 ratio). (Source, which credits this original source).

Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't know what the answer is, but doing the same thing over and over with diminishing results is not working.

10,996,447: Disability Beneficiaries Hit New Record

" The total number of disability beneficiaries in the United States rose from 10,981,423 in March to 10,996,447 in April, setting a new all-time record, according to newly released data from the Social Security Administration.
The number of Americans receiving disability benefits continues to exceed the populations of Greece, Tunisia and Portugal, and is approaching the population of Cuba, which according to the CIA World Factbook is 11,047,251."

Almost 11 Million JUST on the Social Security Disability program. It's unsustainable and will soon be bankrupt - what then?
Out of 300+million people? Thats less then the unemployment rate of this country.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
The only people that got 'stomped' are the taxpayers. . . . .

A clown claimed he was 'disabled' and essentially could not work - then tried to become not disabled while still getting SSI money and working a job.

He tried to have his cake and eat it too.

You are either 'disabled' and unable to work or you are not. SSI disability is not a way to get a check from the government every month and then still work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies