Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDoIGetOnWelfare View Post
Crumbs?

Plenty of people live comfortably enough off welfare. Most welfare recipients are lifetime recipients. It's not hard to set yourself up for lifetime assistance if you are disabled or pregnant every year or two. WIC usually lasts for 5 years. The more kids you have, the more you're rewarded. The less you try, the more you're rewarded.

I'm not sure why we do it this way, but as long as we do, I'm going to enjoy it. Don't you want to enjoy life as well?
How do I get on Welfare?
I'm actually thinking of going BACK on SSDI (still have the same disability that qualified me in the past ) Between them and my long term disability ins at work plus PERA disability it looks like I'd make 63k a yr without taxes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
I don't know what the answer is, but doing the same thing over and over with diminishing results is not working.

10,996,447: Disability Beneficiaries Hit New Record

" The total number of disability beneficiaries in the United States rose from 10,981,423 in March to 10,996,447 in April, setting a new all-time record, according to newly released data from the Social Security Administration.
The number of Americans receiving disability benefits continues to exceed the populations of Greece, Tunisia and Portugal, and is approaching the population of Cuba, which according to the CIA World Factbook is 11,047,251."

Almost 11 Million JUST on the Social Security Disability program. It's unsustainable and will soon be bankrupt - what then?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I'm actually thinking of going BACK on SSDI (still have the same disability that qualified me in the past ) Between them and my long term disability ins at work plus PERA disability it looks like I'd make 63k a yr without taxes....

Sounds like you've got a cushy deal, the average SSDI recipient lives on, what, $1,200 a month?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My friend does OK.

Her heat is paid out of other programs......HUD repaired her home....she get medical....and food stamps.

She is sure not well off......but, OK.

??? HowTF did she buy a home on SSI? And if she's on SSI, she did not work enough to qualify for SSDI, one must ask, how then did she buy a home?

Possibities that come to mind include:

She inherited her home.

She was previously married and her spouse had enough money to buy a house.

She bought her house with seller financing from a relative with nothing down (I know someone who did this while on welfare).

I live at poverty level and I get ungatz.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDoIGetOnWelfare View Post
Crumbs?

Plenty of people live comfortably enough off welfare. Most welfare recipients are lifetime recipients. It's not hard to set yourself up for lifetime assistance if you are disabled or pregnant every year or two. WIC usually lasts for 5 years. The more kids you have, the more you're rewarded. The less you try, the more you're rewarded.

I'm not sure why we do it this way, but as long as we do, I'm going to enjoy it. Don't you want to enjoy life as well?
How do I get on Welfare?

??? At a maximum benefit of $721 per month, SSI certainly pays peanuts. And the "punishing" aspect is that SSI recipients who choose to earn money lose 50 percent of their earnings in the form of benefit reduction. i.e. earn $200, lose $100.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? HowTF did she buy a home on SSI? And if she's on SSI, she did not work enough to qualify for SSDI, one must ask, how then did she buy a home?

Possibities that come to mind include:

She inherited her home.

She was previously married and her spouse had enough money to buy a house.

She bought her house with seller financing from a relative with nothing down (I know someone who did this while on welfare).

I live at poverty level and I get ungatz.
Jean worked for years at group homes and little factories.

Her home had credit life and disability.....she got hurt at work....so in time her home was paid off by the insurance she had.

I would not trade her places.....like I said....she does OK.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Jean worked for years at group homes and little factories.

Her home had credit life and disability.....she got hurt at work....so in time her home was paid off by the insurance she had.

I would not trade her places.....like I said....she does OK.

Which means she has no mortgage payment and enjoys Michigan's low low 6 mills homeowner property tax for schools (as opposed to the freaking 24 mills on my rented home), so she probably is better off financially than a minimum wage worker living at poverty level and getting squat for assistance.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Which means she has no mortgage payment and enjoys Michigan's low low 6 mills homeowner property tax for schools (as opposed to the freaking 24 mills on my rented home), so she probably is better off financially than a minimum wage worker living at poverty level and getting squat for assistance.
I think so.

In fact our county and township also has very low taxes.

But, we also have no fire protection and little police......there is very little crime.

She has one of my trucks most of the time.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't know what the answer is, but doing the same thing over and over with diminishing results is not working.

10,996,447: Disability Beneficiaries Hit New Record

" The total number of disability beneficiaries in the United States rose from 10,981,423 in March to 10,996,447 in April, setting a new all-time record, according to newly released data from the Social Security Administration.
The number of Americans receiving disability benefits continues to exceed the populations of Greece, Tunisia and Portugal, and is approaching the population of Cuba, which according to the CIA World Factbook is 11,047,251."

Almost 11 Million JUST on the Social Security Disability program. It's unsustainable and will soon be bankrupt - what then?

People need to understand something about numbers. 10 or 11 million might sound like a large number but consider this. There are 340 miilion Americans living in this nation , so, for every 34 or 33 American people there is only one disabled person and in a crowd of 100 average Americans there would only be 3 such people. In fact in such a crowd they would be lost in the crowd. Don't you think that such numbers are within our nations ability to care for them?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,817 times
Quote:
Sounds like you've got a cushy deal, the average SSDI recipient lives on, what, $1,200 a month?
I get less than that from the government. My total disability is a lot more than that, but that's because I had private long term disability insurance with an insurance company through my job at the time I became disabled. The amount I get from the government is poverty level. You can not live comfortably on SSDI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies