Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times

Advertisements

What is it with the hate? So much of our country politics etc is fear based anymore. Everyone acts like anyone who gets SSI, SSD or welfare is taking food out of your mouth. The reality is most have worked a good part of there lives and payed into SSI, SSD or paid taxes that goes into foodstamps etc.

This is what i dislike about our country and the political parties. So much fear that there is never enough etc etc.

I do agree i don't like people who take advantage of others. But if we are going to complain about our poor causing us to be bankrupt? We need to first get out of paying for a decade war, we need to stop paying corporate incentives to those who are already the most able and most profitable of all of us. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What is it with the hate? So much of our country politics etc is fear based anymore. Everyone acts like anyone who gets SSI, SSD or welfare is taking food out of your mouth. The reality is most have worked a good part of there lives and payed into SSI, SSD or paid taxes that goes into foodstamps etc.
Anyone who gets social security or welfare is taking food out of your mouth. If you work for a dollar and the government takes that dollar away from you and then gives it to someone else, then taking food out of your mouth is exactly what is happening.

That's not to say it's inappropriate for them to do that, but technically that is precisely what is going on. If the government cancelled that aid check and collected less taxes, then the taxpayer would be able to keep more of the money earned.
Quote:
This is what i dislike about our country and the political parties. So much fear that there is never enough etc etc.

I do agree i don't like people who take advantage of others. But if we are going to complain about our poor causing us to be bankrupt? We need to first get out of paying for a decade war, we need to stop paying corporate incentives to those who are already the most able and most profitable of all of us. Just my opinion.
No, we don't need to first do any of that. It's only your subjective priority list that places welfare for the poor above corporate welfare. There are plenty of people who complain about welfare to the needy but not about corporate welfare just as there are plenty of people who do the reverse. Additionally, the fact that one problem is not resolved doesn't mean we should ignore other problems. It makes no sense to realize that people are cheating the system but purposely decide to ignore it until we've fixed corporations cheating the system.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM

^^^^^^^
@kidkaos2

Your quote: It makes no sense to realize that people are cheating the system but purposely decide to ignore it until we've fixed corporations cheating the system. end quote:

No sir you missed my point, but morality of convenience isn't good either. Lets take a look at reality ok, because of the few who have abused the system the trumpet of welfare reform was blown, any action taken? Yes, in the next 10 years, 10 billion will be cut in the foodstamp program (billion a year). Cut to Sec 8 housing has been huge and now actions to make people more self sufficient have been taken, so now the program isn't based on a persons income anymore, and there was other cuts to other programs too.

Im all for welfare reform, but just cutting money isn't teaching people life skills or self sufficiency. Further im no expert on government funding etc but as far as i can tell no corporate welfare has been cut. In fact i believe its been increased? With the recent farm bill.

Continue next post

Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Continued from my last post

So we shouldn't ignore any problem if others are not resolved. But im a simple guy, actions speak well into motivations. To me it just appears to be another miss spent moral rightous campaign. A thief is a thief, it doesn't matter if he or she is the lazy person who wont work or the rich who have so much but getting more because we subsidise there profits. Its all moralely wrong.

P.S. Plus where is the outrage, we treat other country citizens better then we do our own. We spend more on them.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM

155 posts, read 89,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

The problem is that the systems themselves, even if conducted with total "integrity" do just that - they take advantage of others. That is their nature, their design.

There is NO PLACE WHATSOEVER for Federal welfare, NONE. If a state wants to squander money that way, that is up to them.

You may not be taking food out of my mouth, but you may be taking diesel out of my yacht, and I worked hard for it - metaphorically.

And even if the parasite-class don't bankrupt us, it is a moral insult for the parasites to exist on our efforts.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
You may not be taking food out of my mouth, but you may be taking diesel out of my yacht, and I worked hard for it - metaphorically.

And even if the parasite-class don't bankrupt us, it is a moral insult for the parasites to exist on our efforts.
Theres a certain beauty in someone calling other humans parasites, while they are discussing how much more important their diesel for their yacht is, then the food for others.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:11 PM

155 posts, read 89,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Theres a certain beauty in someone calling other humans parasites, while they are discussing how much more important their diesel for their yacht is, then the food for others.
Metaphorically speaking.

We are AMERICANS - not French or Belgian. We lead the world in Freedom and the corresponding Responsibility for Self.

Those who refuse to do so, or do so to the necessary degree don't have the right to sit on their hands, with cake-hole wide open and a sign around his neck that says you MUST feed me with your own food for I have no hands - Boo Hoo!! The idea that I must do with out, with less, or with lessor is an affront to everything American.

Act like you DESERVE the Freedom you have, and stop being a parasite!!!!

Last edited by Conshelf; 05-23-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
Metaphorically speaking.

We are AMERICANS - not French or Belgium. We lead the world in Freedom and the corresponding Responsibility for Self.

Those who refuse to do so, or do so to the necessary degree don't have the right to sit on their hands, with cake-hole wide open and a sign around his neck that says you MUST feed me with your own food for I have no hands - Boo Hoo!! The idea that I must do with out, with less, or with lessor is an affront to everything American.

Act like you DESERVE the Freedom you have, and stop being a parasite!!!!
LOL, as a FYI while I dont have a yacht, Im not doing bad at all (6 figure income). As for acting like I deserve the freedom, I joined the military when I was 17 (parental waiver).

The vast majority of those who are receiving aid are trying not too. Yes there are horrific example of people doing the opposite, but they're not the majority. We have a large amount of unemployed who are actively looking to work.

Treating our fellow Americans with contempt, and calling them parasites is the affront to everything American.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:19 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's the second group that makes it possible to imply that people don't stay on welfare as long as they do over their lifetimes.
Given that there is a life time cap on welfare your previous claim that people stay on welfare for their entire life is still just complete BS. You were either completely wrong and now are to small of a man to admit it or you are deliberately lying. Which is it?

Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
I'm sorry, but that woman wanted to use her "extra" money to but a "nice laptop and a PS4." Yeah, that's what she should be prioritizing right? Not food, clothing, and shelter? No...the government will take care of them for me and I can use my hard earned dollars for fun.

No!!!!

You're on government assistance. When you're able to earn something to support yourself, even a little, the government is going to cut back on that assistance and require you to pay the difference with the money you're earning. Not use that money to buy things that are unneccesary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies