Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry but I'm not interested in discussing Wakefield as I don't believe what happened with him is relevant to this thread.
Really? He's the jagoff who revealed Thompson's name.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How disingenuous of you to cherry pick like that. Here's some more of his letter:

"I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits. . . . Reasonable scientists can and do differ in their interpretation of information."

In other words, he's not quite the "whistleblower" some of the anti-vax people think he is. And he's leaving the door open that he was in error in his interpretation.
Posting a snippet is not "cherry picking". Here's the paragraph that follows the one you chose which was after the ones that HappyTexan posted:

Quote:
My concern has been the decision to omit relevant findings in a particular study for a particular sub­ group for a particular vaccine. There have always been recognized risks for vaccination and I believe it is the responsibility of the CDC to properly convey the risks associated with receipt of those vaccines.
August 27, 2014 Press Release, "Statement of William W. Thompson, Ph.D., Regarding the 2004 Article Examining the Possibility of a Relationship Between MMR Vaccine and Autism"

He's not anti-vaccine but he is concerned with the decision to omit statistically significant data and the fact the risks were not conveyed to the public, but instead hidden. That is pretty serious.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Why were parents asked for the long form of their child's birth certificates? Is it common for parents to get a copy of a "long form" birth certificate for their child?
Why are you twisting this into a birth certificate argument? I'm not going to play this game. I'm saying, it's untrue that the information is not available on a birth certificate. Apparently it was available for the other kids in the study.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Posting a snippet is not "cherry picking". Here's the paragraph that follows the one you chose which was after the ones that HappyTexan posted:

August 27, 2014 Press Release, "Statement of William W. Thompson, Ph.D., Regarding the 2004 Article Examining the Possibility of a Relationship Between MMR Vaccine and Autism"

He's not anti-vaccine but he is concerned with the decision to omit statistically significant data and the fact the risks were not conveyed to the public, but instead hidden. That is pretty serious.
He also said other's interpretations could differ. He's hedging.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM

584 posts, read 1,137,127 times
Quote:
Why are you twisting this into a birth certificate argument? I'm not going to play this game. I'm saying, it's untrue that the information is not available on a birth certificate. Apparently it was available for the other kids in the study.
The CDC made the birth certificates an issue.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Why were parents asked for the long form of their child's birth certificates? Is it common for parents to get a copy of a "long form" birth certificate for their child?
Researchers doing an epidemiological study tried to gain as much data as possible. Clearly a sign of malfeasance.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
If the kids who's parents could not produce a birth certificate were not included in the study results then why? The information that the researchers wanted wouldn't be on a birth certificate provided by a parent because parents don't typically have the long form of their child's birth certificates. That information would be stored with the state's vital statistics.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Researchers doing an epidemiological study tried to gain as much data as possible. Clearly a sign of malfeasance.

But why would they ask the parents for that info. Parents don't have the long form with that info. The long form with that info is stored with the state vital statistics. A regular birth certificate does not contain the info that the researchers claim they needed for the study.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Access to the information on the birth certificates allowed researchers to assess more complete information on race as well as other important characteristics, including possible risk factors for autism such as the child’s birth weight, mother’s age, and education. This information was not available for the children without birth certificates; hence CDC study did not present data by race on black, white, or other race children from the whole study sample. It presented the results on black and white/other race children from the group with birth certificates.
CDC 2004 Pediatrics Statement - Concerns About Autism | Vaccine Safety | CDC

This information would not have been on parent provided birth certificates.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 PM

You would certainly know more about what's on a Georgia birth certificate than the researchers on the ground in Georgia.

Are you going to claim this is another conspiracy from the CDC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies