Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 02:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Training is a red herring. There are plenty of people with training who've had their guns go off. Take the officer in that video -- all the training in the world didn't prevent his gun from going off.
And all the training n the world of the WRONG kind won't! The guy was a dumbass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Why are gun nuts such freak shows? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Did anybody ever teach you freaks that?
More intelligent conversation from the left....

Old 09-12-2014, 02:41 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And for all but one or two states, that is the case. Most all states require some form of safety training before issuing a carry permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Do you stereotype and insult everyone or just ones that disagree with you?
I give you guys credit for hanging in this thread ... I just can't anymore. It seems like the level of emotionally driven, lack of common sense, idiotic replies from the anti people are getting worse and worse. It's like trying to have a rational conversation with a teenager...

Old 09-12-2014, 03:02 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Training is a red herring. There are plenty of people with training who've had their guns go off. Take the officer in that video -- all the training in the world didn't prevent his gun from going off.
It's not a red herring. My response was to a post that eluded that anyone should have 'the right' to carry, anywhere, regardless.

In any event if a firearm discharged 'accidentally' it is almost always due to a breakdown of basic firearm safety. Not always, but usually.

That was the context in which I posted.

Do not misinterpret that to mean that I don't agree that school personnel should be armed, rather that I do not believe that just anybody should be permitted to do so.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-12-2014, 05:16 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's not a red herring. My response was to a post that eluded that anyone should have 'the right' to carry, anywhere, regardless.

In any event if a firearm discharged 'accidentally' it is almost always due to a breakdown of basic firearm safety. Not always, but usually.

That was the context in which I posted.

Do not misinterpret that to mean that I don't agree that school personnel should be armed, rather that I do not believe that just anybody should be permitted to do so.
The point is that training isn't going to guarantee that a gun won't go off every now and then, even in the hands of someone highly experienced.

The fact is that accidental shootings are rare -- usually no more than 15,000 a year. And a far smaller number of those folks (typically 600 or less) are actually killed.

So the chances of you or your family being shot by a gun accidentally going off are very small. Sure, anything can happen, but you could also be attacked by a bad guy at any time, including a first grade talent show. Why restrict people's constitutional rights on the off chance that some accident might occur?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Typical liberal nutjob reaction. Some parents are objecting to the constitutional right of fathers to bring weapons to their kid's elementary school functions.

What are they going to do if some other kid jumps up and starts pounding their child with a sheet of rolled up construction paper? Just sit there helplessly and let their child take a merciless beating?

This gentleman sums it up well:

Where the he77 is this place? In a gang infested swamp?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I certainly don't think someone without a degree of training should be allowed to carry a firearm into a school.

I certainly think all US citizens starting in the 1st grade, get firearms safety training. After all it is a right that they will soon be making on their own as young adults.

I find it amusing that those that didn't grow up with guns in the house are the most fearful of them.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:07 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
The point is that training isn't going to guarantee that a gun won't go off every now and then, even in the hands of someone highly experienced.

The fact is that accidental shootings are rare -- usually no more than 15,000 a year. And a far smaller number of those folks (typically 600 or less) are actually killed.

So the chances of you or your family being shot by a gun accidentally going off are very small. Sure, anything can happen, but you could also be attacked by a bad guy at any time, including a first grade talent show. Why restrict people's constitutional rights on the off chance that some accident might occur?
Actually, it does. Accidental implies that there was a mechanical failure. Remington had issues with a specific model of rifle a few years ago that would fire if dropped with the safety on. There were less than 5 accidental shootings and the company recalled them. All guns on the market must be able to be dropped without discharging. That said, there is never a reason to unholster the gun unless there is an actual threat. If I removed my gun and put it up for storage, it would still be in the exact same condition (1 in the chamber, striker back) 20 years from now.

Your explanation of "accidental" is nothing but negligence.

As I have stated before, why carry an insurance policy on your house since the chance of fire is so small? My parents paid their house of over 20 years ago and they still carry insurance.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Why are gun nuts such freak shows? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Did anybody ever teach you freaks that?

Consider the source. Look at what most out of touch liberal anti gun nuts consider normal, being called a freak by them probably means perfectly normal to most of society.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Do you stereotype and insult everyone or just ones that disagree with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
As long as you guys give them the attention they so obviously crave they'll continue to come back. That's the reason they post those insults, to antagonize and get a rise out of you. Starve the trolls, don't feed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Consider the source. Look at what most out of touch liberal anti gun nuts consider normal, being called a freak by them probably means perfectly normal to most of society.
Wow, lol..... nicely put. So true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies