Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 12:35 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
There's an elementary school 3 blocks from my house. I've been thinking about doing some community service and looking out for the safety of those kids by grabbing my AR-15, heading down to the school, and patrolling the grounds. Pretty good idea, right?
We'd probably see you on the news.. " man riddled with bullet holes after approaching elementary school with loaded assault rifle".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 12:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
lmao hall monitors are a mean bunch these days

Old 09-12-2014, 12:49 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Firearms do not simply "go off". There is no mention of the way it is being carried. Was it in a proper holster? Was the trigger covered? Was she actually handling the gun when it went off? Did she follow proper safety procedures and not put her finger on the trigger?

Unlike the video, my holster is large enough that is stays vertical against my calf.
I understand what you're saying, but do we want to restrict people's Second Amendment rights themselves by second-guessing the victim when an accident occurs?

That's getting close to saying you only have the right to protect yourself if you've passed some kind of safety and proficiency test.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but do we want to restrict people's Second Amendment rights themselves by second-guessing the victim when an accident occurs?

That's getting close to saying you only have the right to protect yourself if you've passed some kind of safety and proficiency test.
I certainly don't think someone without a degree of training should be allowed to carry a firearm into a school.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I certainly don't think someone without a degree of training should be allowed to carry a firearm into a school.
And for all but one or two states, that is the case. Most all states require some form of safety training before issuing a carry permit.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,100 times
Why are gun nuts such freak shows? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Did anybody ever teach you freaks that?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I'd like a punishment for negligent discharges. It should be enough to compel people to either take formal training or train on their own via video/reading and practice.

Yes, it's getting close to a proficiency test but there's a big difference. In your scenario, the test comes first. In my scenario, it's worth the effort to learn what you are doing. How many people decide to not drive drunk because it's the right thing to do? Probably very few. How many people don't drive drunk because the punishment is harsh enough that it's not worth taking the chance.

How much does it cost to not have a negligent discharge? In the teacher's case, $20 for a holster. In the officer's case, nothing. He should have known to not only check the chamber but also check the magazine.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:34 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Why are gun nuts such freak shows? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Did anybody ever teach you freaks that?
Do you stereotype and insult everyone or just ones that disagree with you?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Training is a red herring. There are plenty of people with training who've had their guns go off. Take the officer in that video -- all the training in the world didn't prevent his gun from going off.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Looking at the video, he verified nothing was in the chamber and dropped the slide without checking the magazine. There was one in the mag and it was pulled into the chamber by the slide. He then put his finger on the trigger and squeezed.
"Dumbassedness" is what that is called. Also laying two mags on a table side by each one loaded, the other empty for demonstration purposes is just asking for it. When making a demonstration a "cognitive break" is required by either confining the loaded mags into the gun box and leaving them there or resorting to default of emptying all mags present when demonstrating without intent to fire, especially in a classroom environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies