Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 09:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I don't even care about the rest of your post, so I posted it below, to show that I have provided your entire posting...

What a completely stupid comment, and maybe the stupidist comment of the years (yes I said years) with what has happened recently at Sandy Hooks.....

Way to go...for wanting someone to protect their family..and yet you say this......

The rest above is not even worth talking about, EXCEPT for the part that the PARENTS of Sandy Hooks will (may) disagree with you.....
And what a stupid rejoinder perhaps the stupidest rejoinder of the year (only one year because I'm not a fan of overly emotive nonsense) given that the perp was a nutbar with a gun! Given that the occurance happened during school hours with no parents present. given that post Sandy Hook some of the parents think thusly:

Gun Activists Heckle Sandy Hook Father - Business Insider

Christie vetoes 'trivial' gun control bill, angers Sandy Hook parents | MSNBC

Slain Newtown teacher

Connecticut Shooting Families Balancing Grief, Gun-Control Advocacy

Another shooting:

Father of Isla Vista shooting victim repeats call for gun-control legislation | World news | The Guardian

It takes a special kind of "stupid" to foster the proposition that MORE guns allowed within schools without making any effort to determine whether they are being held by sane and balanced people is a solution to the quandary of "protecting your family". But then, you have never failed to disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:38 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It takes a special kind of "stupid" to foster the proposition that MORE guns allowed within schools without making any effort to determine whether they are being held by sane and balanced people is a solution to the quandary of "protecting your family". But then, you have never failed to disappoint.
Nope. Just wait...

Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just because you guys pretend that crime doesn't exist won't make it so.... That's not fear mongering, that's not paranoia, it's just an unfortunate reality.

According to you guys, police shouldn't even have guns in a school. Oh, but now you're going to say something about more training. Ok, but that's not your argument. Your argument is that these "perceived threats" are "intangible" and "remote"..... so if these threats are so remote, I see no reason why a cop should be carrying in a school either, right?
Wow, and here I was thinking I thought something different. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, WhipperSnapper! You know my own thoughts better than I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Damn, I used to carry my gun in my kids schools back in the 80s back in MI. And now I live in UT and probably a quarter of the teachers I know carry to school LEGALLY.
Funny you mention Utah... Utah teacher shoots herself in the leg at elementary school.
Quote:
A Taylorsville elementary school teacher somehow shot herself in the leg while in a school restroom.

The 6th-grade teacher, Michelle Ferguson-Montgomery, was in a faculty restroom at Westbrook Elementary School (3451 W. 6200 South) on Thursday morning when her handgun went off, said Ben Horsley, spokesman of Granite School District.
Luckily, the only person who was hurt was herself.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:37 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Wow, and here I was thinking I thought something different. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, WhipperSnapper! You know my own thoughts better than I do!

Funny you mention Utah... Utah teacher shoots herself in the leg at elementary school.

I can post a video of a police officer doing a presentation on firearm safety to a class and he shoots himself, probably shouldn't let armed police in schools, for the children and all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And what a stupid rejoinder perhaps the stupidest rejoinder of the year (only one year because I'm not a fan of overly emotive nonsense) given that the perp was a nutbar with a gun! Given that the occurance happened during school hours with no parents present. given that post Sandy Hook some of the parents think thusly:

Was it expected?

Or was it unexpected?

Thanks for your participation.
Have a nice day!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Notice that this teacher didn't intentionally "shoot" anyone. Her firearm simply went off, which can happen to anybody.

While she was wounded in the leg, I have little doubt that she would gladly accept that in exchange for her ability to protect herself from violence. No one else was hurt.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:15 PM

19,785 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Notice that this teacher didn't intentionally "shoot" anyone. Her firearm simply went off, which can happen to anybody.

While she was wounded in the leg, I have little doubt that she would gladly accept that in exchange for her ability to protect herself from violence. No one else was hurt.
A firearm does not "simply go off". There was certainly a failure to exercise basic firearm safety protocols, and she's thankful she only hurt herself.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:19 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I can post a video of a police officer doing a presentation on firearm safety to a class and he shoots himself, probably shouldn't let armed police in schools, for the children and all.
How can this man be faulted? He clearly verified that the gun was empty BEFORE it went off.

He didn't intentionally shoot anyone and is the only person who sustained any physical injury whatsoever. Everyone else was fine, including the young children in the audience.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:19 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:

Firearms do not simply "go off". There is no mention of the way it is being carried. Was it in a proper holster? Was the trigger covered? Was she actually handling the gun when it went off? Did she follow proper safety procedures and not put her finger on the trigger?

Unlike the video, my holster is large enough that is stays vertical against my calf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo4k_3yegFI

Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
How can this man be faulted? He clearly verified that the gun was empty BEFORE it went off.

He didn't intentionally shoot anyone and is the only person who sustained any physical injury whatsoever. Everyone else was fine, including the young children in the audience.
Looking at the video, he verified nothing was in the chamber and dropped the slide without checking the magazine. There was one in the mag and it was pulled into the chamber by the slide. He then put his finger on the trigger and squeezed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies