Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The point is that training isn't going to guarantee that a gun won't go off every now and then, even in the hands of someone highly experienced.

The fact is that accidental shootings are rare -- usually no more than 15,000 a year. And a far smaller number of those folks (typically 600 or less) are actually killed.

So the chances of you or your family being shot by a gun accidentally going off are very small. Sure, anything can happen, but you could also be attacked by a bad guy at any time, including a first grade talent show. Why restrict people's constitutional rights on the off chance that some accident might occur?
I don't know if you're intentionally making sense now or what, but you're using some pretty sound logic in this post..... weird.

On the other hand, if you're just trying to be sarcastic, you really aren't doing a very good job of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Actually, it does. Accidental implies that there was a mechanical failure. Remington had issues with a specific model of rifle a few years ago that would fire if dropped with the safety on. There were less than 5 accidental shootings and the company recalled them. All guns on the market must be able to be dropped without discharging. That said, there is never a reason to unholster the gun unless there is an actual threat. If I removed my gun and put it up for storage, it would still be in the exact same condition (1 in the chamber, striker back) 20 years from now.

Your explanation of "accidental" is nothing but negligence.
Well, I understand your point. I'm using the term accidental in the sense of non-intended. A gun can go off due to user error or mechanical failure and I would call both of them accidental. In neither case was there an intent to discharge the firearm, much less actually shoot someone.

Fortunately, as I mentioned, unintentional shootings are usually no more than 15,000 a year and the vast majority of those are non-fatal. Granted, some people may be limping around for a while and some folks may be permanently or seriously injured. In a good many of these accidental shooting the only person injured is the owner himself or a family member.

15,000 injuries and several hundred deaths per year hardly sounds like grounds to mess with people's constitutional rights. Compare that to the risk somebody runs by going out into the world without a firearm. Without a weapon you could be cut down at any time.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Most schools don't, and I want to see a contraction of them, not an expansion. If a bad guy gets caught, what are the odds he'll surrender peacefully? If they came there with intent to cause mayhem, are they really just going to back down once they're spotted?

Where is that exception enumerated in the Constitution?

Well I used to, but I guess I won't now, all the posts on here calling out people for being paranoid have made me realize just how paranoid I've been buckling up every time. My newfound freedom is going to feel so nice! I will now be able to move about the car with more freedom, I won't have to mess with a restrictive belt just to reach the glovebox, or to turn around to talk to the backseat passengers.

Just last week our community lost a 15 year old in a car accident. He wasn't wearing a seat belt and got thrown from the car. The other passengers were wearing seat belts and they survived, some with major injuries though. But they are expected to live. Our community is small and we are all grieving. Seat belts saves lives and the reason they are the law is to protect stupid people.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I certainly think all US citizens starting in the 1st grade, get firearms safety training. After all it is a right that they will soon be making on their own as young adults.

I find it amusing that those that didn't grow up with guns in the house are the most fearful of them.
Well that's an intrusion now isn't it? 'All citizens get training'. How about those of legal and responsible age have the option to purchase firearms but must first complete firearms training and pass a test? That's no more intrusive than believing "all" must receive training..

And not sure if you're referring to me, but not only was I raised with firearms and hunting (and had to pass a NRA sponsored safety course before I could shoot).. but I also went out today and shot about 70 rds of .45/70, 50 rds of .44 mag and about 100 on my AR.

I'm not fearful of guns. I'm fearful of abject morons owning them 'just cause'.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:32 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Just last week our community lost a 15 year old in a car accident. He wasn't wearing a seat belt and got thrown from the car. The other passengers were wearing seat belts and they survived, some with major injuries though. But they are expected to live. Our community is small and we are all grieving. Seat belts saves lives and the reason they are the law is to protect stupid people.
People get raped and murdered every day, and the one constant about the stories is they never mention that they're armed. I have never seen a case of someone getting killed that had a gun and the news didn't mention it. Plenty of lives are saved by guns, and I dare you to go tell someone whose life was saved by a gun that they shouldn't have had it. Tell them that you would you prefer they be dead or raped because of your irrational fear.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I understand your point. I'm using the term accidental in the sense of non-intended. A gun can go off due to user error or mechanical failure and I would call both of them accidental. In neither case was there an intent to discharge the firearm, much less actually shoot someone.

Fortunately, as I mentioned, unintentional shootings are usually no more than 15,000 a year and the vast majority of those are non-fatal. Granted, some people may be limping around for a while and some folks may be permanently or seriously injured. In a good many of these accidental shooting the only person injured is the owner himself or a family member.

15,000 injuries and several hundred deaths per year hardly sounds like grounds to mess with people's constitutional rights. Compare that to the risk somebody runs by going out into the world without a firearm. Without a weapon you could be cut down at any time.
Yes, the outcome is the same but "user error" as you put it is negligence.

Billy Bob comes in from dove hunting (season opened this week) and puts his 12 gauge by the back door. Little Jimmy comes in from riding his bike, starts playing with the gun and blows his little sister's head off. It makes the news where we see the family crying but the DA says the family has been through enough and decides not to file charges. WRONG. Billy Bob is guilty of negligent homicide and should be serving time. If we start doing that most people will think twice about their actions. Granted, some won't and no law will ever change that.

I agree that 15,000 injuries horrible (I didn't check your numbers) but we should not punish people who have not injured anyone. No one should be punished until an action has occurred where another party is harmed.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:22 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well that's an intrusion now isn't it? 'All citizens get training'. How about those of legal and responsible age have the option to purchase firearms but must first complete firearms training and pass a test? That's no more intrusive than believing "all" must receive training..
I'll agree if people must pass a test to exercise their other rights. Want to post in a forum then you must pass a test to make sure you aren't a complete moron.

Whatever tests or restrictions you want to apply, think about how they would work with the First Amendment.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I support gun rights.
I have many guns, including the scary, scary AR-15.

But I think it's a bit weird and creepy to walk around all the time with a gun.
Especially to a little kid party/school function.
I never understood that mentality. But I support the right.

However, the fact that it is a right to carry is irrelevant as there are many establishments that do not allow guns (hospitals, liquor stores, bars, etc). School can ask the same.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

And not sure if you're referring to me, but not only was I raised with firearms and hunting (and had to pass a NRA sponsored safety course before I could shoot).. but I also went out today and shot about 70 rds of .45/70, 50 rds of .44 mag and about 100 on my AR.

I'm not fearful of guns. I'm fearful of abject morons owning them 'just cause'.

As a right.... It would behoove the nation to make firearm safety in grade school mandatory from an early age and repeated yearly. Or deal with the tragedy of the kid getting daddys gun and going to go use it on the bully at school.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Yes, the outcome is the same but "user error" as you put it is negligence.

Billy Bob comes in from dove hunting (season opened this week) and puts his 12 gauge by the back door. Little Jimmy comes in from riding his bike, starts playing with the gun and blows his little sister's head off. It makes the news where we see the family crying but the DA says the family has been through enough and decides not to file charges. WRONG. Billy Bob is guilty of negligent homicide and should be serving time. If we start doing that most people will think twice about their actions. Granted, some won't and no law will ever change that.

I agree that 15,000 injuries horrible (I didn't check your numbers) but we should not punish people who have not injured anyone. No one should be punished until an action has occurred where another party is harmed.

Billy Bob's negligence, is not educating his kids about guns.
The entire time growing up, a loaded double barrel 12 was behind the front door at all times.
In fact, now that I own the gun since dad passed away. There it is over there, loaded with buckshot and it sits behind the door at my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies