Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a non Christian president
No 20 14.93%
Yes, (religion would be irrelevant) 83 61.94%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Muslim) 20 14.93%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Atheist) 2 1.49%
Other 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 PM

527 posts, read 709,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Sounds like the Christians to me:

Christian Bible: Deuteronomy 13 King James Version (KJV)

6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
Old Testament/Torah applies to Jews, not Christians. Nice try!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,401 times
For me, the religion of the candidate does not act as a qualification for getting my vote. (S)he could even be an atheist, but if (s)he has sensible ideas and a good political track record, I'd vote for him or her in a heartbeat.

- skbl17

Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes. I wouldn't want to vote for someone who needs myth and superstition for his moral compass.

(Name me one president who actually PUSHED for abortion. Just one.)

"President"?

Yeah, got that list right here...

List of Presidents of the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We don`t yet elect openly godless communists in this country.

As for that other thing, you really are missing the point.

By electing a president that believes in God, we know that we are electing a president capable of understanding that he or she is not God.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:12 AM

779 posts, read 632,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I wasn't making a comparison, but, rather acknowledging that he has made absolutely no claim that I know of ... to be a Believer in Jesus Christ; ... or invoked Christ or Christian standards of truth in any of his public dealings ... with anything. Being a true 'Christian' does not mean that one must be an Evangelist or a preacher, but, otherwise, it is not something that one can hide or will deny. Further, being a true Christian is more than simply meeting the world's standard of 'good or moral' behavior.
I didn't say that you did. I asked you a direct question. I see very little difference in from presidents who came before him in showing their Christian side. No one is sitting around lying 100% of the time and the majority of politicians are going to stretch the truth or tell incorrect info until they get better facts.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Some do, but it's not on their religious text. I don't see that happening in Israel either. Jews can hold public office, but not for president because people will think we are a "Jewish country".
I don't buy into that at all. We've had so many Christian presidents... and no one intelligent thinks we're a Christian country.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:17 AM

779 posts, read 632,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1959 View Post
Why do other presidents have to figure into it? When the current POTUS is introduced into a thread, why does every thing he does or says, or claims have to be measured against another president? Can those things not stand or fall on their own, apart from other people?

Obama's self-proclaimed status as a Christian is not relative to another presidents self-proclaimed status as a Christian. Obama's proclaimed Christianity cannot and should not be gauged according to the "degree" of Christianity of another president. The proclamation stands or falls on it's own by what he says, what he does, what he supports, what he condemns, etc. It has no bearing on or influence from anyone else.

Context. I'm wondering where these standards err when reflecting bush and other past presidents. I'm wondering if the judgement stands across the board.I am curious as to how other past presidents were viewed and where their actions differed.

To me this stance that he is less of a Christian president leads me to wonder in comparison to which recent leaders and why.They could stand our fall on their own but most don't give concrete reasons. They give abstract rhetoric that tends to support a political side or their original negative view of him out they seem to think that his religious views should trump existing law or things like equal rights.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 AM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Sounds like the Christians to me:

Christian Bible: Deuteronomy 13 King James Version (KJV)

6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Old Testament/Torah applies to Jews, not Christians. Nice try!
If that is the case, why do so many so-called "christians" waste so much time hating homosexuals? It looks like they are pretty selective in the scripture they choose to believe in order to create a god who hates the same people they do.

If they are going to campaign against gay people it seems to me like they would want to kill all the infidels as well, since that is a direct commandment.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 AM

122 posts, read 96,502 times
Yeah, I would vote for a non Christian president - even an atheist. The principles that govern the US are in the US Constitution and that's interpreted by the Supreme Court. Also, Congress has the power to impeach a President that violates his Oath of Office. And only the Congress can create and pass legislation so it's not like the President really has that much power anyway.

Everybody has beliefs and/or values that can help shope their choices. But a unconstitutional choice by the President would never be allowed.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
At the current time, it appears that 78% of voters believe that real issues are more important than Christianity. It's good to know that the majority will not blindly vote.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:45 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
At the current time, it appears that 78% of voters believe that real issues are more important than Christianity. It's good to know that the majority will not blindly vote.
Yes, but it's terrifying the amount that do.

Even though I don't think this forum is an accurate representation of America (I believe, naively perhaps, that there actually fewer fundie christian whacknuts in reality), it still amounts to millions of really dumb voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies