Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Cuba is communist. I bet as long as it stays communist, foreigners won't be allowed to own land. Even in capitalist countries in Asia, it's hard for foreigners to buy land

I watched Obama's speech live.Obama just said something in Spanish, how many RWNJ heads will explode on this board from that?
A bunch. Lol

Just wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A bunch. Lol

Just wait.
I can think of 2 or 3 right away that are going to have a stroke over Obama saying "Todos somos americanos"

Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Does this mean Americans are free to travel there now?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
There's always two agendas at work. One the public is told about and another that only a few are privy to.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:32 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
B.S.!!! Cuba had one of the best economy in the Latin countries before Castro lied to the Cuban people and once he got to power and brought by force communism their economy went down the toilet with their civil liberties.

What Castro did was take ownership of all American investments in the island and confiscated every private property and personal bank accounts of everybody including All Cubans that's why millions fled to the U.S.A and Castro gave the finger to all investors and refused to pay Cuba's debt.

Not only that, Castro took the side of the Soviets during the Cold War to bring down the U.S.A.

If Obama wants to forgive and forget all that with the same regime then what guarantees Americans will get that the Castro's brothers won't do the same thing again if they invest in the island?
Castro and communism ultimately proved to be an unquestionable failure. And he was tyrant who ran one of the most oppressive governments in the world. That said, he didn't rise to power out of no where. Cuba's economy was run by the American mafia leaving millions of non-connected Cubans in poverty. And the country was ruled by a ruthless dictator who came to power in a coup after figuring out he would lose an election. Batista carried out public executions and probably killed upwards of 20,000 people during his rule. This was a guy that was so despicable that his only friends after the communist revolution in Cuba were the last two fascist dictators in Europe. All of that with American backing.

So, we, as a matter of policy were ultimately responsible for Castro coming to power. And our stubbornness with the embargo probably kept him there longer than he would had we normalized relations in the 70's.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's always two agendas at work. One the public is told about and another that only a few are privy to.
So which one is which, in your view?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is my hope too. I don't want Americans to start looting the island, and I think the Cuban government should ban American land ownership (actually all foreign land ownership) but perhaps allow only foreign investment.

Cuba shouldn't return back to its pre 1959 semi colonial status, which is exactly what caused revolution in the first place.
You have a lot more knowledge (first hand and otherwise) on the situation there than I do.

I never viewed it so much as a revolution but more like a barnyard takeover where the pigs wound up replacing the farmer and then acted just as badly.

A lot of "revolutionairies" wound up chased out of Cuba and living in the US. (Ironically)

What's your take on the whole thing?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
This is good news and it is about time. Thank God Republicans are not in charge otherwise they would be fear mongering against this. Oh wait, they already are.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,255 times
When do we get to make them citizens?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
One Obama policy I agree with, I don't see how you can trade with lying cheating China but Cuba is supposedly a bridge too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies