Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times

Advertisements

Give me a freakin break. I'm a democrat, hell, I even caucused for Obama. But if this crap is what is passing for racism these days, then we have indeed reached the land that Dr. King was praying for.

I've been subject to racist violence. When I was in high school I was smacked around by a bunch of black girls who lurked in the girls restroom. They called me skinny white *****, and Barbie Doll w***e.

I learned to hold my pee pretty well for those eight hours at school.

Do I hold that nonsense against black people? Nope. Each person is an individual and everybody deserves a chance.

If the FLOTUS wants to get her panties in a bunch about the Target encounter, perhaps she should look around a bit more.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
It does not make Michelle Obama an "intellectual" to point out that people MAKE MISTAKES. I, personally, don't see the big deal in her being asked to fetch something off a shelf. It's happened to me, and I suspect I've probably inadvertently done it, too.

People make a lot of assumptions about the people with whom they interact - it doesn't make them racist. People make assumptions about me, too. I'm a woman. Does that make me a feminist? I went to college and left a high-pay job to be a stay-at-home mom -- does that make me a stupid stay-at-home mom because I made that choice? I drive a 14 year old Volvo -- does that make me poor? Cheap? Frugal? Or just hate car shopping? I sometimes shop at Walmart -- does that mean I automatically qualify for "PeopleofWalmart.com"? (Uh, no . . .) I don't wear a wedding ring -- neither does my husband. Does that mean we aren't married? Or that we're looking to play around? (No, it means that my ring needs to be resized and I haven't gotten around to it.)

Personally, I'm sick and tired of the constant conversation about race. Everything is race this, race that -- apparently, the entire world revolves around what color your skin in, which is B.S. If I disagree with someone who is a different race than me, then I'm a bigot and racist. Fine. Whatever. *Shrug* Call me whatever you like -- it doesn't make it true, and it says more about that person's view of the world than it does mine. I'm sure I've been called worse. I am long past the point of giving a damn what other people think of me. I'm just going to keep on doing my best to be a decent human being.

And your asking for assistance has to be "inadvertent" because...?

Un-believable. Now the sheeple have been convinced that asking for help is demeaning to the person asked, and needs to be apologized for.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I do know the Obama's seem to be a perfect match for each other.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
michelle obama-i was asked to take something of the shelf at target

Quote trimmed to pertinent info, see link for full article.

How is this racism?

So if I am in a store and I ask someone else for help with something and they happen to black then I am a racist? So it makes it better if I walk past that black person to get a white person to help me? Looks like no win situation, no matter your choice your a racist.

I dunno but I help people all the time in stores, generally before they ask. If I see someone struggling with something I would be happy to help. I have asked people nearby for help loading cumbersome stuff onto a cart or pallet at stores before, I cant remember if they were black or white though as it wasn't really germane to the problem.
She's a VERY odd duck! My husband is over 6 feet tall and is almost always asked by someone to reach something for them in grocery stores. We've actually had people follow us around and ask him a few times. He's married to a shorty so he knows how I climb store shelves. Little old ladies can't do that. Or shouldn't do that. He's been asked by a mix of races, ethnicities, and ages. I don't think he's ever said no. I usually find it cute because they're embarrassed to ask!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
She's sort of goofy.

I've been asked many times over the years to grab something off a high shelf at a store for a vertically challenged fellow shopper, I'm an older white guy.

Mrs. Obama is 5'11", thinking this has anything to do with "race" is silly, and at best indicates she rarely ever goes to grocery or discount stores.
5' 11" OMG! She can't share any of that? Damn! I'm 5' 2" in sneakers.....so I scale the shelves in stores when the 6 foot + guy isn't with me. It's pretty common here to ask someone in the same aisle to grab something if you're a tall person. I've never seen anyone have a cow because someone's a specific race. Maybe I don't go to the stores the right days of the week to witness this? Or she's just a flake. Or a fruit loop.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Wow, what exactly did you read? Where did I say the Letterman clip was fake? Re-read what I wrote.

I read the article. I'll bet good money that it's bogus because there isn't a stitch of detail to that "story". It's a conservative website and the Obamas aren't on everyone's good side these days. If I'm not mistaken, that website also does satirical news. This b.s. article pretty much fits the bill as satirical.
I'm still scratching my head over what you wrote.

If you're not saying the Letterman clip is fake, then are you saying the People magazine article is fake? People magazine is not a satirical conservative website. It's a straight celebrity-gossip website. Now I'm really scratching my head. You've never heard of People magazine before?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

And your asking for assistance has to be "inadvertent" because...?

Un-believable. Now the sheeple have been convinced that asking for help is demeaning to the person asked, and needs to be apologized for.
Do you know the definition of "inadvertent"? It isn't insulting. It means that that I have probably mistaken another customer for an employee, too. Where is the insult in that? You're the one that is inferring that asking someone for help is an insult . . . instead of my original contention in this thread that mistakes happen, they don't usually have racist or demeaning roots.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
I've been asked many times by short women, usually old ones, to get something off a high shelf for them. But they were all white and so am I so it can't be racism.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 11,029 times
Michelle Obama told one story that recently took place, even as she was first lady of the United States.
"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new," Michelle Obama, who is 5'11", said.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think she was just asked because she is tall. We have another thread on the other forum about this. I am 6'1" and people ask me for help to get things off high shelves ALL THE TIME, and I am white.

However, some people have really had that experience of being assumed to be "the help". We used to work in a building that had a chain drugstore on the first floor, and a black man I work with would get asked for help by customers almost every time he went in there. He would be wearing a suit or jacket and slacks.

My friend was dating a Puerto Rican man and they attended a wedding together. As he came back from the men's room, someone at one of the tables called "Waiter!" to him and asked him for a fork.

I also attended an event at a high-end hotel in Manhattan once, and I saw the black coat-check lady stop a younger black woman from going into a room off the ballroom where the main event was held. Turned out that the younger woman was on one of the panels that would be presenting at the event. The coat-check lady apologized profusely for assuming that she didn't belong there. So it even happens within races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies