Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
What does a higher prevalence of autism have to do with the eradication of polio? Are you saying wiping out polio caused autism?
No, clearly that's not at all what I am saying. I was pointing out that the 600% rise in autism over the last twenty years (the same years the vaccine schedules went nuclear, ie; changed and increased dramatically from prior vaccine norms) cannot simply be explained away by the old red herring of "well, we have better diagnostics now and now we're just not letting little Johnny Autistic slip through the cracks anymore".

Old 01-30-2015, 08:12 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Something no one ever seems to answer is this - If your kid is vaccinated, why are you worried about any of this? Aren't they protected? If anyone who wants a vaccination for their kid can get one, wouldn't that mean anyone not vaccinating their kid already knows and accepts the risks?
My (grown) children were vaccinated, but I am concerned about the anti-vax mentality because, having worked in health care for decades, I care about public health. I care about truth versus falsehood, reasoning versus illogic, and statistical probability versus nonsense. I care about infants and immunocompromised individuals who cannot be immunized, who might be exposed to any of these infectious diseases. I care about living in a society where deadly infectious diseases are on the rise due to misinformation about vaccines. And other people care enough that they go into third world countries, at great personal risk and sacrifice, to help immunize those populations.

It's not just about people caring about their own kids.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM

458 posts, read 617,814 times
Quote:
No, clearly that's not at all what I am saying. I was pointing out that the 600% rise in autism over the last twenty years (the same years the vaccine schedules went nuclear, ie; changed and increased dramatically from prior vaccine norms) cannot simply be explained away by the old red herring of "well, we have better diagnostics now and now we're just not letting little Johnny Autistic slip through the cracks anymore".
So let me get this straight. You are saying that improved diagnostics alone does not explain the rise in autism. You are also pointing out a correlation exists between a rise in autism and a rise in vaccinations. But you are NOT saying that the rise in autism is caused by the rise in vaccinations. So once again, I'm not sure of your point.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 PM

458 posts, read 617,814 times
I think the easy solution is to allow parents to refuse vaccinations, but also ban these children from attending public schools. Exceptions for medical reasons only. There are no scientific reasons to refuse a vaccine and I couldn't care less about a religious reason.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My (grown) children were vaccinated, but I am concerned about the anti-vax mentality because, having worked in health care for decades, I care about public health. I care about truth versus falsehood, reasoning versus illogic, and statistical probability versus nonsense. I care about infants and immunocompromised individuals who cannot be immunized, who might be exposed to any of these infectious diseases. I care about living in a society where deadly infectious diseases are on the rise due to misinformation about vaccines. And other people care enough that they go into third world countries, at great personal risk and sacrifice, to help immunize those populations.

It's not just about people caring about their own kids.
I care about what they have done regarding changes over the last twenty years to the vaccine formulations and overall schedules. You have total faith in the so called scientific consensus around vaccine safety, and I don't.

Anyone with any real critical thought understands that the pharmaceutical industry is a multi billion dollar for profit industry like any other. To think for one minute that research and science is first and foremost in determining what is sold to the public is silly and naive. Take one glance across major industry in general, from Boeing and it's flying deathtrap made in SC that disregards completely the safety of the aircraft in favor of cheap local McLabor, to war for profit in the name of "security", to the food we eat that is labeled as "safe" when there are thousands of tangents you could explore from GMO's to irradiation to hormones regarding that "safe" food. Big Pharma is no different, and with the interests at stake I am not the least bit surprised that "the research" says "everything's great, get those vaccinations and do not correlate the dramatic rise in autism to the vaccines, even though the correlate perfectly when looking back over the last twenty years".

Have at it, get vaccinated. I do not want to change minds or force anyone to do anything. All I ask is extend the same courtesy to me please.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
So let me get this straight. You are saying that improved diagnostics alone does not explain the rise in autism. You are also pointing out a correlation exists between a rise in autism and a rise in vaccinations. But you are NOT saying that the rise in autism is caused by the rise in vaccinations. So once again, I'm not sure of your point.
Yes, I am saying that I believe that the rise in autism dramatically over the last twenty years and the way it mirrors the rise in the vax schedules is connected. I am not sure how you missed that, but that's my opinion.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain folks, and do not believe your lying eyes. Correlation does not imply causation.
Correct. Cargo Cults have never worked.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Yes, I am saying that I believe that the rise in autism dramatically over the last twenty years and the way it mirrors the rise in the vax schedules is connected. I am not sure how you missed that, but that's my opinion.
So - how do you explain, for instance, the Danish cohort studies that found bugger-all difference in the autism rate between vaccinated and unvaccinated children?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Correct.
Correct when science is actually allowed to reach it's organic conclusion free from influence, sure.

Not so correct when science and research are funded by the same interests that want to sell you a product they have billions already invested in.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So - how do you explain, for instance, the Danish cohort studies that found bugger-all difference in the autism rate between vaccinated and unvaccinated children?
I have already laid out my opinion on science/research/consensus intertwined with monied interests and business. Put another way, if I had billions of dollars I could probably get scientific consensus on anything I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies