Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think that the school districts should mandate children that register at their schools to have the proper immunizations. Children that are not immunized should not be in public/state schools.
Agreed. Don't want to follow established public etiquette? Fine, but then don't expect the benefits other tax payers and consumers receive.

Places like Disneyland should ban non-vaccinated kids, too.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think that the school districts should mandate children that register at their schools to have the proper immunizations. Children that are not immunized should not be in public/state schools.
Most do, but they exempt those who have "personal beliefs" against shots - in other words ignorant fools - and put the population at risk. The only exemptions should be in cases where inoculation is medically contraindicated. Do you think that will happen? Nope. In the US we allow ignorance and religious foolishness to trump good sense all the time.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most do, but they exempt those who have "personal beliefs" against shots - in other words ignorant fools - and put the population at risk. The only exemptions should be in cases where inoculation is medically contraindicated. Do you think that will happen? Nope. In the US we allow ignorance and religious foolishness to trump good sense all the time.
Hopefully such exemptions will be eventually banned. There's no reason in 2015 to excuse people from doing the basics to take care of their children. Kids have died because their parents tried to pray away a disease, rather than seek proper medical care.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
If they have a personal belief against immunization and therefore don't immunize their kids? Fine, stay away from everyone else. Thoughts?
They're listening to uninformed celebrities instead of medical science.

Their choice.

It's a poor one.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Hopefully such exemptions will be eventually banned. There's no reason in 2015 to excuse people from doing the basics to take care of their children. Kids have died because their parents tried to pray away a disease, rather than seek proper medical care.
What kind of parent would risk their kids going through a bout with measles? We geezers had this as kids and it is an awful disease with high fevers and multiple miseries. Something like 3/1000 die of it and many others are left with lifelong disabilities. Prevention is simple and SAFE.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Ah, the old "I know I am right so there is no argument" argument.

Huh.
No

It's more like:

Medical science has a long track record of success with this procedure. It's not a matter of opinion.

But someone has convinced you otherwise. Feel free to make decisions for your family based on whoever you give credence.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:27 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This statement could not be any more inaccurate!
I am an older Boomer born in 1948. The only vax around when we were babies was DPT. Polio vax came out in the 50s. They came around with those sugar cubes when I was in school.

MMR vax came out in the early 60s. If you were a preteen by then, you did not get that shot because by that age you had probably had all of those diseases. Or maybe I should say if you SURVIVED all those diseases by the time the vax came out? lol They don't give you that vax if you have had all those diseases yourself. Your grandparents would be unvaccinated for that one.

So as a 66 year old Boomer, the only vaccinations I ever gotten in my life were DPT (no boosters) and Polio. Every other vaccination under the sun they have come out with since my adulthood I have chosen not to get.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 AM

It looks like some doctors are refusing to see people who refuse to get vaccinations. It makes sense. The outbreak in AZ is of concern because an infected person visited a pediatric hospital potentially contacting 195 children.

Some doctors won't see patients with anti-vaccine views

Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What kind of parent would risk their kids going through a bout with measles? We geezers had this as kids and it is an awful disease with high fevers and multiple miseries. Something like 3/1000 die of it and many others are left with lifelong disabilities. Prevention is simple and SAFE.
You are that old and don't remember measles/pox parties? Parents used to send their kids over to the homes where kids had those diseases so they would catch them YOUNG. The younger the better was the thinking. I know my Mom (born 1920) said she was very happy I had all those diseases before the age of 2 so then I would not be missing school if I got them older. I myself did not like that one. While all my friends and classmates were getting them older and staying home from school, I was all over with them and didn't miss school.

Some people talk about houses being quarantined. I do not remember that. We all went to visist our friends when they were home sick. Maybe they quarantined for polio (didn't know anyone who got that), but certainly not for measles, mumps, german measles, or chicken pox.

I was not hospitalized, even as an infant with measles and chicken pox within a month of each, and neither were any of my friends, classmates, cousins. None of us had any lasting complications from any of these diseases. I am sure it did happen, but it was not COMMON.

BTW, I grew up in Manhattan so it was not an isolated place.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You are that old and don't remember measles/pox parties? Parents used to send their kids over to the homes where kids had those diseases so they would catch them YOUNG. The younger the better was the thinking. I know my Mom (born 1920) said she was very happy I had all those diseases before the age of 2 so then I would not be missing school if I got them older. I myself did not like that one. While all my friends and classmates were getting them older and staying home from school, I was all over with them and didn't miss school.

Some people talk about houses being quarantined. I do not remember that. We all went to visist our friends when they were home sick. Maybe they quarantined for polio (didn't know anyone who got that), but certainly not for measles, mumps, german measles, or chicken pox.

I was not hospitalized, even as an infant with measles and chicken pox within a month of each, and neither were any of my friends, classmates, cousins. None of us had any lasting complications from any of these diseases. I am sure it did happen, but it was not COMMON.

BTW, I grew up in Manhattan so it was not an isolated place.
I am a little younger than you and I don't remember any pox parties. I also do remember a quarantine on our house, but don't know what it was for - certainly not polio unless maybe someone suspected that. And the fact that you don't know anyone that had complications does not mean that thousands and thousands of us did. My BIL has significant hearing disability resulting from measles. Prevention really is worth a pound of cure. Failing to vaccinate ones kids is child abuse in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies