Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It looks like some doctors are refusing to see people who refuse to get vaccinations. It makes sense. The outbreak in AZ is of concern because an infected person visited a pediatric hospital potentially contacting 195 children.

Some doctors won't see patients with anti-vaccine views
What was the age of that infected person? Children don't go visiting hospitals all alone. In some instances, children under a certain age aren't even allowed to visit patients.

Last May I went to pediatric unit to see infant. Did they ask everyone entering there if they were vaccinated? While they had signs all over about flu shots, they did not check any adults for records. Years ago you had to wear gowns and masks when visiting newborns. Not today.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Not getting your child immunized should be considered child abuse.

Plain and simple.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What was the age of that infected person? Children don't go visiting hospitals all alone. In some instances, children under a certain age aren't even allowed to visit patients.
It wasn't a hospital. It was the outpatient clinic at Phoenix Children's Hospital.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah I think people should just roll up their sleeves and take whatever the government wants to inject into them.
My government never injected me.

My doctor did.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most do, but they exempt those who have "personal beliefs" against shots - in other words ignorant fools - and put the population at risk. The only exemptions should be in cases where inoculation is medically contraindicated. Do you think that will happen? Nope. In the US we allow ignorance and religious foolishness to trump good sense all the time.
I agree that the only exemptions should be due to medical reasons. If one decides not to have one's children immunized due to any other reasons, then they should be prepared for the consequences.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
I am an older Boomer born in 1948. The only vax around when we were babies was DPT. Polio vax came out in the 50s. They came around with those sugar cubes when I was in school.

MMR vax came out in the early 60s. If you were a preteen by then, you did not get that shot because by that age you had probably had all of those diseases. Or maybe I should say if you SURVIVED all those diseases by the time the vax came out? lol They don't give you that vax if you have had all those diseases yourself. Your grandparents would be unvaccinated for that one.

So as a 66 year old Boomer, the only vaccinations I ever gotten in my life were DPT (no boosters) and Polio. Every other vaccination under the sun they have come out with since my adulthood I have chosen not to get.
Well if one either had a particular disease or was exposed to it as a child before the vaccination was available, I don't see any reason why they would need to get the vaccination as an adult.

Quote:

Last May I went to pediatric unit to see infant. Did they ask everyone entering there if they were vaccinated? While they had signs all over about flu shots, they did not check any adults for records. Years ago you had to wear gowns and masks when visiting newborns. Not today.
One can't ask an older adult for a record of their childhood vaccinations as most likely they don't remember and they may not have any way to get a hold of those records for reasons beyond their control.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
I am an older Boomer born in 1948. The only vax around when we were babies was DPT. Polio vax came out in the 50s. They came around with those sugar cubes when I was in school.

MMR vax came out in the early 60s. If you were a preteen by then, you did not get that shot because by that age you had probably had all of those diseases. Or maybe I should say if you SURVIVED all those diseases by the time the vax came out? lol They don't give you that vax if you have had all those diseases yourself. Your grandparents would be unvaccinated for that one.

So as a 66 year old Boomer, the only vaccinations I ever gotten in my life were DPT (no boosters) and Polio. Every other vaccination under the sun they have come out with since my adulthood I have chosen not to get.
You have to be kidding....Have you never had a tetanus shot, or been vaccinated for TB? I was born in 1940, and have had these and others.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You have to be kidding....Have you never had a tetanus shot, or been vaccinated for TB? I was born in 1940, and have had these and others.
Nope. Dr. Jenny parents of young children? lol Be afraid, be VERY afraid. Had many a TB TEST working in public schools, but no TB VACCINATION. Understand the difference?

Tetanus? Got a nail imbedded in my foot while visiting an old cemetary 40 years ago. Pulled it out myself and put perioxide on it and a bandaid. That was 40 years ago. Didn't DIE then so I suppose I am SAFE in 2015???? For what it is worth, I HAD health insurance back then which would have paid for a trip to the ER. I thought it silly back then and still do.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:59 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times
There is a small but very real risk of life changing adverse reaction to vaccines. There is a small but very real risk of the unvaccinated getting a preventable disease.

For some reason, it's ok to put my kids at risk under a very small possibility of an adverse reaction to a vaccine, but not ok to put my kid at a very small risk of contracting (fill in vax disease here).

Something no one ever seems to answer is this - If your kid is vaccinated, why are you worried about any of this? Aren't they protected? You worry about your kid and I'll worry about mine.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
The irony is, and I doubt you'll recognize this, is that you (assuming anti-vax) are depending on those of us who do vaccinate so that you're kids don't get sick. Let's all stop. Let your kids get measles, mumps, polio, pertussis...let's throw in small pox...happy now? No vaccine is 100% safe or effective, nobody has ever said otherwise. Problem is most of my generation and those younger have not seen these diseases up close and personal (due to vaccination), so it's easier to be paranoid about the vaccines than it is about the diseases they prevent. We've got measles making a comeback. Maybe that's what it will take to get anti-vax people to wake up. Pertussis in infants (too young to be vaccinated) is on the upswing due to those of us old enough to be vaccinated bringing it to them. You want to watch your infant suffer trying to breathe with whooping cough? I'm sure you don't. So you are depending on the rest of us to vaccinate. Who is the selfish one?
I am not a collectivist or worried about the "greater good". I worry about me and my family. I am however, concerned about for profit medicine and the lack of integrity by pharmaceutical manufacturers, as well as science that is backed and funded by for profit manufacturers of vaccines.

The holy grail of the vaxxer crowd is citing the "science" that vaccines are safe. There is no real way to counter this, as the very first thing cited by you folks is "causation does not equal correlation" or something thereabouts when one overlays the rise of the vaccine schedule to the rise in Autism and other problems, and they mach up perfectly. The "science" in my opinion, is like everything else in our society - funded by those with an agenda. Peer review in all areas of research has become a joke, speaking out against your fellow researchers will end you career, and whistle-blowers are treated as the scourge of society and roundly attacked on all fronts. I choose in my life to apply common sense and actually believe what my lying eyes tell me. Kids have never had as many problems and have never been as medicated and Autistic as they have over the last 25 years - coinciding directly with the rise in the vax schedule (among other things).

I am happy and quite fine to be ridiculed for what I believe, no issue there at all. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. Do what you like in your own life. However... when you start to go down the road that I should no longer even have the choice to make my OWN decisions about my kids, we have a problem. Personally speaking, none of you people are ever going to take my liberty away. It's just not going to happen as I will find a work around regardless of what you try to impose on me. I give you the liberty and freedom to believe and act however you choose, please extend the same to me. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies