Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Until 2014, Danish vaccines were made by a government-owned entity that turned a profit for exactly - well, no one. But it's beginning to sound you have an issue with science per se.
I have issues with monied interests who want to sell products funding science and research into their own area of products, yes. I don't know the "Danish" studies or who funds them, and as I am not trying to change minds here, I am probably not going to bother to look into it anymore than you are going to look into anything I might post (like the first hand accounts of parents who noticed what happened to their kids after getting vaccines).

Right about now is when the topic goes in it's usual direction, which is downhill and fast. I have found that the vaxxers are a very rabid bunch when it comes to this topic, and will not stop or discuss rationally after a certain point. I have made the points I needed to make, if anything else gets me interested I'll respond, but otherwise... I really don't have much more to add other than what I have already said.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Same exact thing can be said for you demanding parents take the risk of their kid having an adverse reaction to vaccines so you can feel safe. Pretty selfish of you to demand that risk of others rather than just worrying about your own family.

Are you going to take on the financial and emotional burden of the parents who's kids have horrible life changing reactions to vaccines? Or are you going to shrug and say "well, it's good for most people so meh".
Completely irrelevant, the risk of adverse reactions to the immunization is minimal compared to the risk of those not immunized infecting others. Rules and laws are generally made for the greater good or do you view all such things from the perspective of what is only good for you? Read your own comment and the selfish part is completely unveiled.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM

458 posts, read 617,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The point is that people can spot correlations where none actually exists.
Or a correlation does exist but causation does not. I could probably find a link between the rise in autism and the number of credit cards in existence but that doesn't mean one causes the other.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The point is that people can spot correlations where none actually exists.
Another point is many times correlations do exist. Worth considering are the many parents direct stories (none of which involve organic foods and autism).

Unless they are all loons to be dismissed I guess.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Completely irrelevant, the risk of adverse reactions to the immunization is minimal compared to the risk of those not immunized infecting others. Rules and laws are generally made for the greater good or do you view all such things from the perspective of what is only good for you? Read your own comment and the selfish part is completely unveiled.
Irrelevant IF you accept that the 600% rise in autism is totally unrelated to the changes in the vaccine schedule that correlate over the last twenty years. Completely relevant if you question this correlation, as the risk numbers dramatically change.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
There is no way of accurately determining how much of the increase in ASD prevalence seen over the last decade is attributable to diagnostic issues and how much is attributable to a real increase in risk.

Epidemiologic data has recently become available on the potential association between thimerosal and autism. These data do not support an association. Autism Fact Sheet

Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 PM

458 posts, read 617,814 times
Quote:
Another point is many times correlations do exist. Worth considering are the many parents direct stories (none of which involve organic foods and autism).

Unless they are all loons to be dismissed I guess.
Not at all. The problem is these parents did not attempt to find similar factors besides the vaccinations. Most likely, due to the misinformation widely spread on the internet, most immediately assumed it was the vaccination and stopped considering alternate possibilities. Without partaking in a research study overseen by a scientist with a knowledge of statistics and designed experiments, it's impossible to know if all possibilities were really considered. For all we know, all of these parents switched to Pampers at the same time and that's the true link.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
Correlations can lead to causation, but much research and experimentation is usually necessary to verify cause and effect. Self reported stories on an internet blog and a couple of graphs in Excel don't count. I am curious, what exactly in the polio vaccine causes autism?
I have no idea if the polio vaccine, or MMR, or any of the other many vax cocktails are specifically to blame. Maybe it's the overload of all of them as given in the current schedule that does it, who knows.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
Not at all. The problem is these parents did not attempt to find similar factors besides the vaccinations. Most likely, due to the misinformation widely spread on the internet, most immediately assumed it was the vaccination and stopped considering alternate possibilities. Without partaking in a research study overseen by a scientist with a knowledge of statistics and designed experiments, it's impossible to know if all possibilities were really considered. For all we know, all of these parents switched to Pampers at the same time and that's the true link.
Well, all I can say to that is check out the various info/sites where parents discuss this. There are too many for me to casually dismiss as being the fault of Pampers, or new light bulbs, or suddenly posting on CD more frequently...

Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
I don't know the "Danish" studies or who funds them...
In other words, you haven't done your homework. Fair 'nuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies