U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Reputation: 14558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you think American smokers and the obese would be willing to have their medical treatment denied?
57% of those surveyed said they didn't intend to reduce NHS-covered services.

Futhermore, FTA:

Quote:
The Conservatives said they would stop CCGs imposing such rationing. “If local health bodies stop patients from having treatments on the basis of cost alone, then we will take action against them”, said a party spokesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
3,829 posts, read 2,796,173 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Call me crazy, but I think American health outcomes should be a higher priority than health insurer profit margins and dividend rates.

Nothing is stopping you from paying your doctor bills to the doctor and not filing a claim with your insurance company. People do is all the time with their homeowners and auto policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM
 
66,658 posts, read 30,414,576 times
Reputation: 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
the MEDIAN retirement savings of working americans is less then 60K.
And that $60K is in stocks and other investments. Eliminate profits and you make it impossible for many to ever even retire at all. Foolish plan.

Quote:
By far the massive numbers you provide are a "estimate" that to be honest may very well have posted the information that you go on about as a way of making a non-factually based argument look like its based on reality. ICI lobbies on behalf of investment companies.
If you dispute the $24.7 Trillion retirement assets figure, provide evidence that it's false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:43 AM
 
26,304 posts, read 12,879,292 times
Reputation: 12551
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And that $60K is in stocks and other investments. Eliminate profits and you make it impossible for many to ever even retire at all. Foolish plan.

If you dispute the $24.7 Trillion retirement assets figure, provide evidence that it's false.
You made the statement, prove it's actually true.

But heres some quick data to consider. Population over the age of 18: 238 million (roughly)

your argument is that the average person over the age of 18 both working, or non working, has a retirement fund of $103,000

If that math works for you, boy do I have some investments I could sell you on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
 
66,658 posts, read 30,414,576 times
Reputation: 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
57% of those surveyed said they didn't intend to reduce NHS-covered services.
Sucks for the patients of the other 43%. So, Ill ask again... Do you think American smokers and the obese would be willing to have their medical treatment denied? The poor smoke disproportionately and have higher obesity rates. So, guess what would happen...

NHS already denies medical treatment based on one's poor lifestyle choices, this is just a further extension of what they already do.

Quote:
"...four in five NHS areas are rationing surgery and other treatments for patients with a high body mass index, while almost two in three are refusing to treat smokers."
Most NHS areas refuse surgery for obese patients - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Nothing is stopping you from paying your doctor bills to the doctor and not filing a claim with your insurance company.
Somehow I doubt my personal choices will enact meaningful structural reforms on the American healthcare system.

but I appreciate the vote of confidence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sucks for the patients of the other 43%.
If you think that there were only two options, you obviously didn't read your own article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:46 AM
 
26,304 posts, read 12,879,292 times
Reputation: 12551
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sucks for the patients of the other 43%. So, Ill ask again... Do you think American smokers and the obese would be willing to have their medical treatment denied? The poor smoke disproportionately and have higher obesity rates. So, guess what would happen...

NHS already denies medical treatment based on one's poor lifestyle choices, this is just a further extension of what they already do.


Most NHS areas refuse surgery for obese patients - Telegraph
Fun fact. we already do here in the US.

If you smoke, or have a high BMI you are far less likely to receive many types of surgeries.

The NHS provides a immense amount of medical care, with very good results.

Boy that water never gets heavy huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM
 
66,658 posts, read 30,414,576 times
Reputation: 8702
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You made the statement, prove it's actually true.
From the Board of Governers of the Federal Reserve System... in 2012 the total was $23.7 Trillion.

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
 
79,555 posts, read 33,741,327 times
Reputation: 15962
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
As I recall, they kind of did think of it .... it was one of the big criticisms. But a single-payer system was taken off the table because the lobbyists for hospitals and health insurers didn't like it.
And those of us who were against it for this very reason were called racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top