Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:06 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times

Advertisements

Feel bad for Sikh's and anyone else that gets caught in the crossfire by ignorant people as a response to actions by extremists.

Sikh's in general have historically been persecuted and even mass murdered for daring to do their own thing.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
There are 1000s of people there. Why force fans to be fearful?
Some fans will be obviously ignorant, drunk (from tailgating or just being lightweights) which could have sparked a riot like the Raider fans typically do for whatever reason. San Diego did the right thing at this moment in time given that ISIS warned U.S. they will attack and have already done so. I know Sikhs are not ISIS or arabs/muslims but ISIS will be in disguise too.
If security runs everybody through a scanning device like an airport, I see no reason to deny entry.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Not exactly, though I know what you are trying to say.

It's ignorance about the difference between Arabs/Muslims and Sikhs.
It's bigotry against Arabs/Muslims.

It's just that the bigots were mistaken, because they are often stupid.

Mick
Indeed.

Bigotry and incompetent idiocy go hand in hand.

Recall the wave of violence against Sikhs and others who looked vaguely Middle Eastern (to some people - "OMG! A beard and a turban! Must be an A-rab!" - who were and probably remain happily clueless) after September 11, 2001.

Sikh killed, others are targeted; Arizona man held - seattlepi.com

Old 12-15-2015, 07:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
As long as they are willing to remove said headgear for inspection just like the rest of the citizenry I don't see any issue.
Last game I went to I had to take off my hat, empty my pockets into said hat and be scanned before I got through the gates. Pretty much the same at the last NASCAR race as well.

Personally I've never had issue with any Sikhs and found them to be very cordial. Having lived and worked in the Northern CA area, specifically San Jose/Silicon Valley/San Francisco I was around lots of Sikh people all of the time.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:04 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
There are 1000s of people there. Why force fans to be fearful?
Some fans will be obviously ignorant, drunk (from tailgating or just being lightweights) which could have sparked a riot like the Raider fans typically do for whatever reason. San Diego did the right thing at this moment in time given that ISIS warned U.S. they will attack and have already done so. I know Sikhs are not ISIS or arabs/muslims but ISIS will be in disguise too.
If security runs everybody through a scanning device like an airport, I see no reason to deny entry.
Why in the world would ISIS be disguised as Sikhs?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:08 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As long as they are willing to remove said headgear for inspection just like the rest of the citizenry I don't see any issue.
Last game I went to I had to take off my hat, empty my pockets into said hat and be scanned before I got through the gates. Pretty much the same at the last NASCAR race as well.

Personally I've never had issue with any Sikhs and found them to be very cordial. Having lived and worked in the Northern CA area, specifically San Jose/Silicon Valley/San Francisco I was around lots of Sikh people all of the time.

Correct, I worked at the Seahawks game as security sometimes. Everyone thru the gates had to take off whatever was covering their heads to prove nothing was hiding there. Most people did not like doing this and the workers hated it too but thats NFL policy.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Something I'd point out from reading some of the comments of the article:

This was not a case of "profiling." It was a case of ignorant bigotry.

Profiling is imminently useful, but "profiling" encompasses much more than observation of a single characteristic. "He looked like he came from the Middle East" is not profiling, it's just bigotry.
With a healthy dose of idiotism and total lack of even the basic education.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:19 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed.

Bigotry and incompetent idiocy go hand in hand.

Recall the wave of violence against Sikhs and others who looked vaguely Middle Eastern (to some people - "OMG! A beard and a turban! Must be an A-rab!" - who were and probably remain happily clueless) after September 11, 2001.

Sikh killed, others are targeted; Arizona man held - seattlepi.com
It's a crying shame, because Sikhs are some of the nicest human beings in the world. Very kind and respectful.
Don't want to generalize, but that's my experience dealing with them in various capacities.

Mick

Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Not PC of course but the turbans stick out, therefore they were probably looked at more than someone with a cheese hat.

But, they aren't Muslim.

The problem is that Osama Bin Laden wore a Turban, 911 some wore Turbans. They weren't the same kind but to the naked eye you can't tell. So, now people are concerned about them.

But, unlike Muslims, there religion is open for all and anyone. It's peaceful. They don't believe in hostages, rape, oppression of women, it's relatively peaceful. Men and women are treated equally. Their religion requires they don't cut there hair. That's the reason for a Turban, it's fashionable cover. They only condone fighting when the Muslims try to take them out. So, I'm good with them. I have known a few and they are really friendly. They don't commit acts of terror religiously. They might have a crazy one once in a while just like Christians but it's not a big deal.

Of course, this is what I know about them. And yes, they run a lot of Circle K's, Chevron Markets, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:33 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Many call this bigotry - but it isn't.

When you repeatedly get hurt by certain people, it is a normal reaction to be extra cautious. These people are just going to have to deal with the extra scrutiny. If they want to live here, this is what it's going to be like for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies