Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 08:22 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Certain people yes, who look nothing like Sikhs. Sikh women wear colorful bright clothes and do their hair, makeup etc, Muslim women wear drab dark shapeless clothes..the men wear turbans unlike Muslim men...there is no resemblance physically aside from dark skin, and stuff like this just keeps showing the world how stupid we are.
Education is a good thing but when you couple it hand in hand with insults about being stupid it's hardly effective.

Bin Laden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osama_bin_Laden

Sikh
UN human rights body backs French Sikhs on turbans - BBC News

Why would someone so far removed from those religions spend a great deal of time learning about their headgear and the meaning of it?
Yes, now, we need to look into it. So we will.
After 911, I educated myself on it. Before that, a turban was a turban was a turban.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
........Don't want to generalize, but..................Mick
LMAO!

YOU don't want to generalize!?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Education is a good thing but when you couple it hand in hand with insults about being stupid it's hardly effective.

Bin Laden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osama_bin_Laden

Sikh
UN human rights body backs French Sikhs on turbans - BBC News

Why would someone so far removed from those religions spend a great deal of time learning about their headgear and the meaning of it?
Yes, now, we need to look into it. So we will.
After 911, I educated myself on it. Before that, a turban was a turban was a turban.
Yeah, these guys look so much like Muslim extremists, it is really hard to tell the difference when they're dressed in their traditional garb like this! When will they ever learn to assimilate into our culture?

[LEFT]
Read more: Sikh Broncos fans are denied entry to game 'because of their turbans' - and then stopped by the bomb squad on the way out! | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
[/LEFT]

Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Yeah, these guys look so much like Muslim extremists, it is really hard to tell the difference when they're dressed in their traditional garb like this! When will they ever learn to assimilate into our culture?

how come one dude gets to wear a baseball cap?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I don't know, why don't you ask them? Maybe they're not Sikh.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:15 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Because they're all individuals, and they live in America?

They are not Muslim, they are not middle eastern period, they are Sikh, they are Indians. Wearing the turban is not a rule as much as simple tradition.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:24 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times
Quote:
Certain people yes, who look nothing like Sikhs. Sikh women wear colorful bright clothes and do their hair, makeup etc, Muslim women wear drab dark shapeless clothes..the men wear turbans unlike Muslim men...there is no resemblance physically aside from dark skin, and stuff like this just keeps showing the world how stupid we are.
Yeah, but you're dealing with people who are scared of their own shadow.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:24 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,101,241 times
Quote:
Sikhs do not always wear a full turban.

A turban, however, is considered the standard.

Just so long as the uncut hair is up in a topknot, secured with a traditional comb, and covered, he's still observant. Sometimes they'll wear a sheer sort of black stretch cap over the hair. I think the guy in the "baseball cap" probably has his hair under a sheer black stocking cap, then a visor over it. Very informal, but still observant.

A Sikh man wearing the cap only is kind of like an Anglo man out wearing a wife beater teeshirt. He's got on a shirt, he's 'decent', not naked, but it's one typically worn for athletics, and is considered very dressed down as compared to more regular shirts worn in public.

Teenage boys more typically wear the "dressed down" sheer black cap only.

These guys are just following their own concience about how formal and observant, compared to how lax, adaptable, or 'fitting into the mainstream' they each choose at any given moment. Some families and houses of faith have more or less strict guidelines.

I'm not Sikh, and hope someone more well versed than I am comes along to answer these things. I just work at an airport, have had some education on the issues under discussion, and have had to sort things out when some less-than-cosmopolitan soul gets freaked out by "OMG a man in a turban!!!"

Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
If it can happen in San Diego, it can happen in less advanced societies in the South.

Mick
Picking on the south, how progressive.

Southern folks are some of the nicest human beings in the world. Very kind and respectful.
I don't want to generalize, but that's been my experience dealing with them in various capacities.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:37 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
The people arguing in favor of targeting Sikhs - and using security as their excuse - must be really dense.

First, Sikhs have no history of committing terror in the United States. Second, those that do commit terror make every effort to blend in. Did Mohammad Atta, the operational leader of the 09/11 plot, run around in a turban? No. Hint for the 'geniuses' - that's what people operating covertly do. For example, Nazi spies in Britain during World War II didn't go around goose-stepping, did they? American special forces operating at large in the Middle East lose their normal attire and their standard uniform, grow their hair and beards out, and do everything they can to be non-conspicuous.

So harassing Sikhs who are wearing traditional Sikh dress is not only ineffective, it actually diverts limited security resources down a dead-end and away from where they're needed.

Or is that what you want? Are you actually so petty that you're willing to see security compromised - so long as brown-skinned people of a religion you don't understand are being hassled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies