Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 11:26 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
OMG, I'm sorry to interrupt, but where does one get a cheesesteak hat?!!
I just looked and found one on a site called Newegg. I am on an iPad and don't know how to copy and paste on it.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Since Pigskin is used in football they should not be at the game
There you go again showing ignorance as it's Muslims prohibited from anything swine based NOT Sikhs. Cripes; read a book on the subject or at least google the topic.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the Sikh religion has been around a relatively short time and as I fear that we may be heading torwards greater conflict with Islam, maybe the Sikhs should consider going to a new hat.
This has already happened. A lot of Sikhs have stopped wearing their turbans as a result of bigotry they have faced since 911. One Sikh was shot and killed by a redneck in Arizona because he was assumed to be a Muslim Taliban member.

What is ironic is Sikhs and Muslim are bitter rivals. India's northern border with Pakistan has been defended for decades by Sikh soldiers in the Indian military. It's only in this country do you have dumb good ole boys who see Turban and think "Muslim" That's what happens when you don't become educated and you have to work minimum wage at front entry stadium gates. You are not going to possess the education and experience to understand people of different cultures.

I have a lot of respect for Sikhs. It takes a lot of courage and inner strength to dress in a way in which you know you will be stereotyped and discriminated against in this day and age. They are a very strong people.

I recommend these gentlemen sue the Chargers and/or the NFL to prevent this type of discrimination from impacting anyone else. Unfortunately, the only way to achieve respect is with a lawsuit at times.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-16-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's only in this coutry do you have dumb good ole boys who see Turban and think "Muslim" That's what happens when you don't become educated and you have to work minimum wage at front entry stadium gates. You are not going to possess the education and experience to understand people of different cultures.
Although I understand and agree with the meaning of your post, "dumb good ole boys" is what Yankees usually call southern folks. This occurred in Cali which has NEVER been called southern. And ... Yankees are equally guilty of racial idiocy.

El Nox

Old 12-16-2015, 01:41 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Although I understand and agree with the meaning of your post, "dumb good ole boys" is what Yankees usually call southern folks. This occurred in Cali which has NEVER been called southern. And ... Yankees are equally guilty of racial idiocy.

El Nox
Stupid people live everywhere in this country.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
I think all law enforcement and security should be REQUIRED to have training regarding people of different cultures and faiths. Many of these security are off-duty police officers which makes this issue particularly troubling. You see this type of discrimination all of the time. Another group of people who get mistaken for Muslims are Hindus. Hindus are from India. India is not a part of the Middle East but ignorant people will group India with the Middle East. They also tend to have olive to dark brown skin with dark hair and eyes. Hinduism is arguably the most accepting and liberal of all of the world's major religions; there is no conversion and people of all religions can enter their temples and attend services. However, many ignorant people mistake them for Muslims too.

I'm Mexican American who grew up in Southern California so I know about discrimination. I live in Arizona and trust me, I endured more racism in Southern California than I do in Arizona. If I grow facial hair, I've been called Muslim by ignorant people. San Diego is not Los Angeles.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM

500 posts, read 584,055 times
1. They were not denied entry into the stadium. They were asked to remove their "hat" just like every other person entering.

2. We are not allowed to carry in a bag that is over a certain size (very small) unless it is clear.

3. Some make you remove jackets/coats before entering.

4. You can not even have your cellphone, keys, etc on you or in your pocket when going thru the metal detectors at the stadiums. You either put them in the bucket or in your bag.

So do tell, how can it be discrimination if one sect is allowed to not have to abide by the rules to enter the stadium that every single other person must?

Next up: 50 year old, white male will be suing the NFL for discrimination. He was required to remove his hat/cheesehead/toboggan, his coat and gloves and his bag searched while the person next to him wearing a turban or hijab was not required to remove their headcovering.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:12 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
Remember that turban wearing idiot caught trying to go to Port Angeles on the "Blackball" ferry to do something during the Los Angeles Olympics? He was caught on the CANADIAN side, not the US border side. And US media relating the story recently left that completely out. No wonder Americans can't tell the difference between Sikhs and Arabs.

Virtually ALL of the South Sudanese I worked with in Calgary are Christian, and make quite fun of the fact that they speak the "slavers" language, as Arabic in Africa is like French in Europe; it's the communication/trading language.

As Marilyn Manson said: "They keep Americans scarred, and keep them consuming".

Old 12-16-2015, 02:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
1. They were not denied entry into the stadium. They were asked to remove their "hat" just like every other person entering.

2. We are not allowed to carry in a bag that is over a certain size (very small) unless it is clear.

3. Some make you remove jackets/coats before entering.

4. You can not even have your cellphone, keys, etc on you or in your pocket when going thru the metal detectors at the stadiums. You either put them in the bucket or in your bag.

So do tell, how can it be discrimination if one sect is allowed to not have to abide by the rules to enter the stadium that every single other person must?

Next up: 50 year old, white male will be suing the NFL for discrimination. He was required to remove his hat/cheesehead/toboggan, his coat and gloves and his bag searched while the person next to him wearing a turban or hijab was not required to remove their headcovering.
What are you talking about? Obviously not about this article / incident.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post

From the article.

According to 10news.com, three Sikh fans who drove seven hours from Fresno to San Diego were initially denied entry to Qualcomm Stadium for the Broncos-Chargers game because they were wearing turbans.
“Three of my buddies, they had turbans on, and it [was] like, you guys got to take the turbans off,” Verinder Mahli said.
They eventually got in, but they were told (according to Mahli) that if they return, they can’t wear turbans.

So, yes they were denied entry into the stadium. Eventually they were allowed in, but they were told that if thy ever return, they cannot wear their turbans.

I wonder how many other people wearing hats were initially told they couldn't come in and then told they wouldn't be allowed in on future visits if they wore the same hat?

I wonder how many jewish people were told they wouldn't be allowed in if they wore their Kippah to the game?

I'm willing to bet this guy had no trouble getting into the game.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies