Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Terrible, Sikh's are not Muslim. Even if they were, they should not be denied access to a football game. Ignorant people.
They aren't.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:33 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Very unfortunate and a sign of the times with ignorant people. And to add insult to injury a bomb squad was called.

Turban-wearing fans initially were denied entry to Broncos-Chargers game | ProFootballTalk
I guess the idea that they're not even from the same country, and not even close to the same religion didn't quite sink in to whoever was asking the questions?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, I take it you don't like the Sikh?

So as not look even more ignorant? Auto correct is a beach, especially if you type fast but what's your excuse?

Angry liberals do not help anyone.
There is no AutoCorrect that changes "there" to "their" or vice versa. I am sorry, but it is my pet peeve when people blame AutoCorrect for a myriad of spelling errors, grammar mistakes, inappropriate comments, etc.

P.S. Making a mistake per se is no problem - it is just a forum afterall, God knows I make my share, if not more.

Mick

Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Sikhism[edit]

Sikh young man wearing Patiala Shahi Turban.
The Sikh turban, known as the Dastar or a Dumalla, the turban is used to show others that they represent the embodiment of Sikh teachings, the love of the Guru and dogma to do good deeds,[16] the turban also protects Sikh's long unshorn hair and keep hair clean. The turban is mandatory for all members of Khalsa (Baptized Sikhs) to wear. The Khalsa are the last active warrior religion. The Rajastani turban is also commonly called the pagari (in the West, many Sikhs who wear pagri are sometimes mistaken for Muslims or Arabs.[17]). The Sikhs have a long history of being warriors and are referred to as saint-soldiers since the 1600–1700s.

All Sikh Gurus since Guru Nanak have worn turbans. However, covering one's hair with a turban was made an official policy by Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of the Sikhs. The main reasons to wear turban are to take care of the hair, promote equality, and preserve the Sikh identity. Sikh women may wear a turban if they wish.

Sikhs do not cut their hair, as a religious observance. The turban protects the hair and keeps it clean. As Sikhs only form 2% of India’s population, their turbans help identify them. When he institutionalized the turban as a part of the Sikh identity, Guru Gobind Singh said, "My Sikh will be recognized among millions."

Turbans were formerly associated with the upper class, and many men in the cultural elite still wear turbans. This distinction between the turban-wearing upper class (Sardars) and commoners promoted segregation and elitism. In order to eliminate the class system associated with turbans, Guru Gobind Singh Ji declared each and every Sikh a Sardar. He also rejected the caste system by giving all Sikhs the last names Singh (Lion) or Kaur (Princess).

Modern Sikh men mainly wear four kinds of Turban. Morni Turban, Patiala Shahi Turban, Vattan Wali Turban and Amritsar Shahi Turban. The Dumalla style is more traditional and can be recognized by its horizontal wraps, versus the peaked wraps as seen in the aforementioned styles. The Dumalla is becoming more popular among Sikh youth (men and women).

Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
It's kinda funny in that American don't realize the Sikhs and Muslims have fought each other for centuries. I thought that an enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Principles of Sikhism are very cool, actually. Very tolerant and non-judgmental. But there's no way I could wear the turban all day long in hot climates (well, actually, in any climate for that matter).

Mick

Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And you would've known that if you had bothered to read the article, instead of insulting someone else's intelligence. Thanks for telling me you didn't read the article.
Since Pigskin is used in football they should not be at the game

Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Sikhs would be breaking their religious "commandments" by removing their turbans.
It is not a fashion it is a religion.
So hats are allowed, just not turbans? What is the justification for that exception?.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:13 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
One big surprise is that the Chargers have fans. Who knew! The other big surprise is the Sikhs would be American football fans. I'd have guessed soccer and maybe cricket. These gentleman would have looked out of place, and sense we're all a little paranoid these days, things unraveled a bit.
It was almost entirely Donk fans

Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 AM

714 posts, read 748,308 times
I'd think the Chargers would let anyone in..........

Old 12-16-2015, 11:10 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Hats are part of football and there are thousands of them in the stand every game, whether Cheese Head hats or like us, Cheese Steak hats, or Eagle hats where you pull a string and he flaps his wings on top of your head...you're being ridiculous to try to reach for a point that has nothing to do with this thread and anyone can easily see is not relevant just by turning on NFL channel right now and scanning the seats. Look at the pics of this game, there is a sea of hats.

You're also skipping over the part where the cops were called on them before they even got to the gates. You can't just take a tiny piece of the story out of context in order to try to compare your experience with theirs.
OMG, I'm sorry to interrupt, but where does one get a cheesesteak hat?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies