Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:12 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Last time I checked, there were no Sikh suicide bombers and/or terrorists.

If they perceived them as a security threat then they're plain ignorant and can't distinguish between Islam and Sikhism.
Alot of people are ignorant. One of the reasons fear can be spread so easily.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Wow. Seriously?

This is a large public event. Three men who (whether you like it or not) look similar to muslim extremists, are loading a bag into a trunk at this large public event.

What does "see something, say something" mean to you? Do I need to actually see somebody shooting at people in order to speak?
Let me see if I can help you out explaining it better,
Driving down the street by a Synagogue or the Ebenezer Baptist Church Atlanta (a majority black attended church) you notice 5-6 men with shaved heads and Arian Brotherhood tats loading what looks to be big heavy bags into the trunk of a car in front of said houses of worship. You also know that services begin soon.

What do you do?
A.Keep driving figuring they're just stowing their workout equipment before going to services.
B.Wonder where they're going to play baseball/football later in the day.
C.Figure they must be making a large donation to the church.
D.Call someone in authority because they "could" be placing explosives or weapons into the trunk prior to an attack given the history of the general group they belong to.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Let me see if I can help you out explaining it better,
Driving down the street by a Synagogue or the Ebenezer Baptist Church Atlanta (a majority black attended church) you notice 5-6 men with shaved heads and Arian Brotherhood tats loading what looks to be big heavy bags into the trunk of a car in front of said houses of worship. You also know that services begin soon.

What do you do?
A.Keep driving figuring they're just stowing their workout equipment before going to services.
B.Wonder where they're going to play baseball/football later in the day.
C.Figure they must be making a large donation to the church.
D.Call someone in authority because they "could" be placing explosives or weapons into the trunk prior to an attack given the history of the general group they belong to.
Here's a better analogy:
Driving down the street by a Synagogue or the Ebenezer Baptist Church Atlanta (a majority black attended church) you notice 5-6 men with shaved heads and wearing robes loading what looks to be big heavy bags into the trunk of a car in front of said houses of worship. You also know that services begin soon.

Now, if you have enough of a clue to tell Buddhists from neo-Nazis (in the same way that you should be able to distinguish Sikhs from other turban-wearers), you do nothing. That's a much better analogy for a situation in which clueless people couldn't tell Sikhs from non-Sikhs.

PS - Aryan Brotherhood tattoos are a political statement. Turbans aren't. You should understand that. Aryan Brotherhood tattoos explicitly indicate that the bearer believes in the subjugation of non-whites and non-Christians through the use of violence, whereas wearing a turban indicates merely that the wearer likes to wear a turban. A political statement of such is actionable (also, political or ideological affiliation doesn't constitute a protected class - if you don't know what that means, and why it is relevant, I recommend googling it and figuring it out, because if you don't then you're really not even equipped to have this discussion). A hat of a sort worn my various different peoples (including some Christian sects) for reasons both religious and otherwise simply is not actionable.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:31 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
The San Diego Chargers could care less about bombs and terrorism. The only real reason they do this kind of stuff is to ensure no one brings in alcohol to avoid paying their outrageous prices for liquor. A female can't even bring a conventional handbag into the stadium. It has to be clear plastic so they can be satisfied your not hiding a can of beer or those little bottles of airline wine. Going through security at the stadium is worse than dealing with the TSA at the airport. You get a full body pat down with a metal detector to ensure you're not hiding a flask. Then you go in and pay $10.00 for an 8 ounce cup of beer.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The San Diego Chargers could care less about bombs and terrorism. The only real reason they do this kind of stuff is to ensure no one brings in alcohol to avoid paying their outrageous prices for liquor. A female can't even bring a conventional handbag into the stadium. It has to be clear plastic so they can be satisfied your not hiding a can of beer or those little bottles of airline wine. Going through security at the stadium is worse than dealing with the TSA at the airport. You get a full body pat down with a metal detector to ensure you're not hiding a flask. Then you go in and pay $10.00 for an 8 ounce cup of beer.
This is why one should hang a boda-bag or gallon zip lock bag between one's shoulder blades or, if female, get one of those "bar bras" that hold liquid.

Amazon.com: The WineRack 200-008 The Wine Rack, Medium: Kitchen & Dining

Old 12-21-2015, 09:56 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Sikhs are peaceful people. It's easy to tell the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim turban.
Not if you're a bigot.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,886 times
It's depressing how little the average American seems to know about world affairs. If you want go on a fool's errand, conduct a poll at a tailgating party and ask if people have read at least one non-fiction book dealing with world affairs, history, or current events in the past year.

I will say this for Sikhs (I work with some): they often dress neatly (usually at least a button down shirt with a collar and real pants - not "cargo shorts" or jeans). This is refreshing in a time where wearing a football jersey, sloppy jeans, and rubber sandals have become acceptable for American males in an office environment or on date night.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 12-30-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 09:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Hindus, no . Sikhs and Hindus were allied most of the time, and especially during the riots that accompanied India's independence. Now this is where it gets complicated. During the 1980s, massive anti-Sikh riots were instigated by the ruling Congress party in India, which is mostly supported by leftwing Hindus. The Sikhs found support from the opposition BJP, dominated by center-right and rightwing Hindus.
Yeah the "Secular" guys and commies always do it .

Old 01-01-2016, 08:19 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Here's a better analogy:
PS - Aryan Brotherhood tattoos are a political statement.
Are black/latino/Russian/et al gang tattoos also political or is it just AB?

El Nox

Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Are black/latino/Russian/et al gang tattoos also political or is it just AB?

El Nox
I know you weren't asking me, but they aren't political groups because they are not trying to affect political/societal change as most White Supremacist groups like the Aryan Brotherhood are. A case could possibly be made that a group like the Black Panthers is a political group, so a tattoo with their logo (or whatever you call it, lol) could be considered a political tattoo...but the Crips and Bloods are not political in any sense and I think most people know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies