Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Considering 80% of murders are done by people who can't legally own?

Assuming a 30% ownership rate, which is laughably low in total with banned people included: 0.008%

Substituting out murders by people who are not legal gun owners: 0.0016%

By firearm it is 0.002% and 0.0004% respectively.
That was the whole point. It isn't the legal gun owners you have to deal with. It is the people who don't respect life that you have to worry about. It is the mean person who has nothing to lose and a lack of souciance for one's own life or death. I don't think we have a gun problem. I think we have individuals with alot of anger issues, alot of hate in their hearts, people with a "do as I say or die" mentality".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 05:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Do you honestly believe a AR-15 or AK-47 can destroy a M1 Abrams tank?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

Why not just admit that you were joking Trapper,
Chad.

Of course not. It doesn't have to destroy a tank.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:04 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That was the whole point. It isn't the legal gun owners you have to deal with. It is the people who don't respect life that you have to worry about. It is the mean person who has nothing to lose and a lack of souciance for one's own life or death. I don't think we have a gun problem. I think we have individuals with alot of anger issues, alot of hate in their hearts, people with a "do as I say or die" mentality".
Sadly people don't get it. Here's another thing, we're such an individualistic society with many varied beliefs. People keep using statistics to compare us to other nations and forget that we as a nation aren't culturally similar.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:07 PM

35,682 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No it wouldn't, but even if it did they would just use something else. I'm sure liberals feel so much better when people are blown up or burned alive than if they're shot.
I do not believe any liberal feels better to see someone child blown up-- with Westboro???

Old 06-18-2016, 07:24 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
I haven't looked at the stats lately, but anecdotally, the rise in mass shootings started in columbine, circa 1999? I know one that has the links handy will post.

So if these shootings were very atypical prior to the ban in 94 could this be constant 'conversation' is what is actually driving the narrative. Or specifically once everyone got all up in 'arms' about a ban, it actually sparks thoughts on those who may be predisposed to be an miscreant and shoot a place up?

Seems there aren't lots of gun battles between the ordinary killer, armed robber, home invader, with anything but ordinary handguns.

Here's fbi data since 2009.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/30/fb...-with-a-rifle/

Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Heroin is illegal in every state in the U.S., yet deaths by heroin overdoses are skyrocketing everywhere and it can be found in every state and probably every city and town in the country. People don't go to heroin stores and buy it, they buy it from dealers on the street. Why does anyone think that it would be any different with guns?
Ironically, this is an argument for banning guns, you just don't realize it.

The reason heroin overdoses are skyrocketing is because the supply of opium poppies being grown in Mexico has increased tenfold; the reasons are due to the Mexican police reducing their poppy eradication programs. The lack of government control of poppies in Mexico has driven up heroin supply, which is driving down prices, increasing availability in the US, and causing the overdoses.

This is similar to how government control of guns in the United States has driven up the gun supply, which is causing shootings.

Last edited by le roi; 06-18-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

The reason heroin overdoses are skyrocketing is because the supply of opium poppies being grown in Mexico has increased tenfold; the reasons are due to the Mexican police reducing their poppy eradication programs. The lack of government control of poppies in Mexico has driven up heroin supply, which is causing the overdoses.

This is similar to how government control of guns in the United States has driven up the gun supply, which is causing shootings.
Technically... And all gov and addiction data supports this, it's the addiction to opiates from medical form and then finding out 'Hank' is a lot cheaper.

Now I will grant you the point about making it more available. No argument.

But the overdose, again statistically, comes from relapse and going back to what one was using prior to cessation and losing ones tolerance.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:53 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Whenever Obama starts on his worn out rant about gun control (while avoiding the subject of Islamic Terrorists), he avoids mentioning the Boston bombers . . . and why? Because they killed/maimed using bombs - perhaps he should start a tirade about 'bomb control'.

Obama is pathetic. It's not about gun control; what he wants is to expand his control of us - law abiding citizens and leave us defenseless. He knows terrorists will always have access to guns. His agenda is not to protect and defend the United States of America.
How many times have you used a gun to defend yourself?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:03 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:

The reason heroin overdoses are skyrocketing is because the supply of opium poppies being grown in Mexico has increased tenfold; the reasons are due to the Mexican police reducing their poppy eradication programs. The lack of government control of poppies in Mexico has driven up heroin supply, which is driving down prices, increasing availability in the US, and causing the overdoses.

Only we have had an increase in guns by about 75,000,000 and have more then 80% of the country with carry permits being the law of the land and gun crime has gone down whereas we have seen an explosion of heroine problems over the same period of time.

Further, the government are me has made the very dangerous way to reverse an OD available while the course of action to stop a shooting is unavailable to the common public (who, by my local polices pistol licensing staff own word, get a 3-day notice before being raped, robbed, assaulted, or murdered). Consequently we've had a spike in robberies and attacks.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me. This has nothing to do with Mexico. Doctors in the US prescribed opiates like they were candy. People got hooked. When they couldn't get prescriptions anymore they turned to heroin. Heroin is cheap. The problem is when people go to rehap to get clean. If they relapse after being clean for a month or so they can't use the same amount to get high. But many do and that's why they overdose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies